U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 03-18-2011, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 943 times
Cool Waterbury Job: Commuting vs Small Town?

Hello all! My husband and I are seeking relocation to anywhere cold after a long stint in FL, and since we love hiking, skiing/snowboarding and camping the Vermont area is lookin good. Despite the bad rap on this forum about the VT economy, he has several job interviews going on in Waterbury compared to no responses in Boston, etc. (We think they just have less local candidates in VT and so must face relocation expenses and flying people in for interviews.)

We're in our mid-20's, albeit not very rowdy, and want to ensure we are in a place where we can make friends our age, grab a good brew, get out of the house from time to time. Waterbury seems to have some good pubs and a decent amount of things on the main road, but we can't tell if the population is young or the restaurants, etc. are good/fun.

We've heard Burlington is really the place to be but it seems too far - 30 minutes in the snow could be rough, right?

Do any of you have suggestions on whether living in Waterbury would be fun for us, or another town closer than Burlington that would be better? Would Montpelier be the place, or is it just government and not much of a community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-18-2011, 02:26 PM

4,397 posts, read 7,811,947 times
i think it is pretty small, but there are still some good bars from what i have heard, the alchemist, resevoir taproom. some jobs there too apparently easy access to the interstate and not too far from skiing.

you could always live in montpelier and work in waterbury, or vice versa. not sure about burlington.

Last edited by joe moving; 03-18-2011 at 02:42 PM..

Unread 03-19-2011, 06:51 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,869,493 times
Commute or not, there's no avoiding driving in snow if you move to Vermont.

There is more going on in Waterbury now than there was when we moved to Vermont in 1983, but There's still not much going on when the state workers go home.

I'm a big booster of Montpelier, a 28-mile round trip from Waterbury, with a much livelier cultural life. It's an easy drive and there's also a commuter bus that makes the trip for less than the cost of driving. If you search the archives you'll see a ton of threads, many of them with posts from me, about living in Montpelier.

Burlington is really your other option. Way more going on than in Waterbury or even Montpelier, more people in their 20's, but also more expensive and probably more dominated by the college crowd, which might not be what people who are past that and into their adult lives are looking for. The commute isn't bad, but there are times on the Interstate when you're driving through the section called the Bolton Flats when it's snowy, icy, and subject to whiteouts, and that can be pretty hairy.

As far as your outdoor interests go, camping, skiing, boarding, maybe snowshoeing, Vermont is a great place.

Unread 03-19-2011, 06:34 PM

15 posts, read 20,977 times
We moved to Waterbury and love it for the great access to hiking, skiing, camping, and kayaking. We go to the local pubs at least once a week. We lived in Montpelier for a year before moving here and just feel closer to outdoor activities here in Waterbury (as well as a bit closer to Burlington). My husband works in Burlington, which isn't that bad of a drive. It is very quiet so if you're used to having access to stores (malls, big chain stores) and perhaps more of a college scene, you might find it boring here.

Unread 03-20-2011, 09:00 PM

10,674 posts, read 22,278,904 times
I rarely reply to first posters, but...

If you have a solid offer in Waterbury, Montpelier is timewise closer than Buckhead from most of Atlanta, closer to SouthBeach and Joe's than most of Miami. You just have to not freak out at the lack of lighted insanity in between. Burlington was a commute I did regularly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont