Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2007, 06:09 AM

85 posts, read 249,820 times

Advertisements

I was hoping someone may be able to tell me about White River Jct. Snowfall amounts, things around the area? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 07:58 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,266,552 times
Plenty of welfare.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:24 PM

85 posts, read 249,820 times
Default White River Jct.

Thanks to NCORIOLESFAN!

Old 07-30-2007, 07:32 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,497,821 times
I lived in White River Junction, briefly, about 20 years ago. Now, it's 20 years later, but a lot of my memories are still useful.

When I first saw WRJ, I was traveling with my parents. I saw the downtown and thought it was very ugly. I visited years later and discovered that the downtown was not as ugly as I had remembered, and that the rest of the town is very beautiful. I remember visiting the Veterans Administration hospital, coming out near or at dusk, and feeling awed by the beauty around me. I remember seeing fireflies one night by some birch trees lighting up so much it looked like a strobe light show. I remember visiting a craft show in nearby Norwich and thinking I never wanted to leave the place. I remember friendly people and a sleazy car dealership. I remember being a little shocked that such sleazy dealers were in a place like Vermont, but I was probably naive. I remember visiting Dartmouth College, Hanover and Lebanon a lot, and loving the mountains I could see outside the supermarket in, I think, Lebanon. I remember ruining my car in WRJ; I had an oil leak which was manageable in flat Rhode Island, but which flooded my clutch plate in hilly Vermont. I remember a street with a very steep incline; I was terrified at the thought of losing traction in the winter. I remember someone's back yard that ended with a sheer or very steep drop. That was also scary. I remember traveling down Interstate 91 to Brattleboro one day and disliking how much smaller and more paltry the mountains became as we moved south.

That said, I have read on this forum that there is not much to do in the area.

And I remember someone who lived there telling me how cold the previous winter had been.

That's about it for me. Others with more experience will have other things to share.

I don't know anything about the local economy.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:23 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,508 times
My wife is from WRJ. She lived there most of her life. Her advice is not live there. There are many issues with the town. There are other towns outside of WRJ that are much better towns to live in, If you need to be in that area. Norwich or Hartford would be better towns in her opinion. Hanover in NH is also a very nice place (It was chosen as on of the best towns to live in the US).

Old 07-31-2007, 08:18 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
I too do not get great vibes from WRJ. I bought my Outback from White River Toyota back in July and they were pretty good. The downtown is depressed probably due to the fact of all the commercial expansion across the river. Lots of Vermont money goes over there.

For years WRJ had the best camera shop in the region but they also moved across the river. All my dealings with businesses there, plus they have a nice diner, have been very positive.

For me, living in Vermont is all about small town life. As mentioned Norwich is a nice town with King Arthur Flour, Montshire Museum, awesome general store and an easy commute to Hanover.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:17 AM

122 posts, read 458,260 times
Not sure what you'd be doing there, or looking for (do you have kids, for example). I grew up in the Upper Valley (the area you're talking about) and there's really no too much to do. WRJ is as all above have said~pretty depressed and not much life to it. There are, however, some cute, much more attractive towns surrounding WRJ, that would be easy to get to from WRJ if you're working there. Norwich is a VERY expensive town to live in now, and there are very FEW natives left. Really unfortunate. Anyway, Hanover, in NH is nice, too, but again, VERY expensive. If you're willing to drive, a nice town is Thetford, about 20 minutes north of WRJ. There's Wilder, which is the next town over from WRJ, and Hartford, Hartland, maybe Sharon, which is north on 89. These are smaller towns all within a 15-20 minute drive of West Lebanon, NH, where MRV is talking about "across the river", where most people in the Upper Valley do their shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont