U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 02:19 PM

1,978 posts, read 3,195,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
This is why you need big box stores and not just a Main St.! Hopefully nobody needs to go shopping for awhile.
If that is the best justification for putting up those ridiculous stores, then I've been right all along thinking it was overkill how many of those things they build. Saddens me that people would rather go shop in a Walmart than in a beautiful, historic building in the downtown of a beautiful, historic town in a totally gorgeous state. What is wrong with everyone? You would rather shop at a faceless Walmart than a place like that?!

And the idea that you "need" Walmart should be quite humorous to most Vermonters. Or even better, trying telling Alaskans who live in the bush that they need Walmart. You'd get laughed out of there so fast you wouldn't have a chance to protest. Hopefully your mentality will stay where it is and not infect every state in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 08:00 PM

16,786 posts, read 28,995,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
This is why you need big box stores and not just a Main St.! Hopefully nobody needs to go shopping for awhile.
It's those big box stores which can sometimes kill a Main St. Many downtowns where I live died when shopping malls and big box stores came to town. It would be nice to see the Brooks House restored, local businesses reopen and affordable apartment housing returned to local residents.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:02 PM

1,442 posts, read 5,897,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
It's those big box stores which can sometimes kill a Main St. Many downtowns where I live died when shopping malls and big box stores came to town. It would be nice to see the Brooks House restored, local businesses reopen and affordable apartment housing returned to local residents.
From what I have read, one business, a restaurant, is closing for good. A second business owner is going to focus on her mail-order business. A third business, a hair-salon, has joined with another salon in town, and this arrangement, I think, will be permanent. A few others plan to relocate, although I don't know if their relocations are permanent or temporary.

The Walmart across the river is no longer as convenient as it was. It used to be within walking distance of downtown. Now it has become a superstore, but it is several miles away. People without cars are now less likely to go there.

The owner of the Brooks House plans to restore and renovate the building.

BTW, although the back of the building looks burned out, it looks almost normal in the front, and Main Street looks almost normal - unless you look at the burned-out "penthouse" on top, or at the display windows and boarded doors of the ground-floor businesses. But the storefronts are covered by an awning-like tarp. There is a path under the tarp, so the sidewalk is not blocked.

Maybe things have changed since I was last on Main Street. Things have changed rapidly over there.

What is heartening, though, is that the townspeople are really coming together to help the displaced residents and business owners.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:41 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,069,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post

The Walmart across the river is no longer as convenient as it was. It used to be within walking distance of downtown. Now it has become a superstore, but it is several miles away. People without cars are now less likely to go there.
I didn't know that. Still on the way to Hinsdale or on Rte 9?

Old 05-05-2011, 02:56 PM

1,442 posts, read 5,897,161 times
The new Walmart is off the same road (I think Brattleboro Road), just a few miles down the road towards downtown Hinsdale. The sign is visible from the road, just like with the old store.

It's a superstore and it's huge. The appearance is similar to that of the old store, except that it is much bigger.

The problem is that it's not as convenient as the old store. The old store was just a stone's throw from the bridge. You could walk there from downtown Brattleboro. The new store is about 3 miles beyond that. So people who do not have cars are out of luck. Maybe a local bus will go there.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:40 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,069,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
The new Walmart is off the same road (I think Brattleboro Road), just a few miles down the road towards downtown Hinsdale. The sign is visible from the road, just like with the old store.

It's a superstore and it's huge. The appearance is similar to that of the old store, except that it is much bigger.

The problem is that it's not as convenient as the old store. The old store was just a stone's throw from the bridge. You could walk there from downtown Brattleboro. The new store is about 3 miles beyond that. So people who do not have cars are out of luck. Maybe a local bus will go there.
I don't know. I loved living in downtown bratt. I could walk to everything I needed without having to cross the bridge to Wal Mart. I think i went twice but that was probably just because I was walking back from Wantastiquet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont