Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 09:00 AM

7 posts, read 16,803 times

Advertisements

I am a 40 year old with wife and 2 kids. We are private, kind, god fearing folks. We are not interested in politics, but would classify us as conservative because i believe in freedom from government controlling every decision in our lives. We want to buy a couple hundred acres and live a self sufficient life somewhere. We are looking for a community that feels that family values are superior to restrictive government control. Reasonable or no taxes. Good local economy for wood or farm products,
strong christian church activities, outdoor recreation and wildlife..... and no liberal transplants from NYC. Thanks in advance for any input!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 10:06 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,268,649 times
Honestly? Vermont is not for you. If you want New England New Hampshire might be a better fit.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:33 AM

130 posts, read 279,083 times
I agree you would not like VT.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:42 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Honestly? Vermont is not for you. If you want New England New Hampshire might be a better fit.
Parts of Maine and upstate NY, too.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:55 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Some parts of the NEK might work. NH is a better fit politically, as is parts of Northern Maine, but NH has pretty poor soil for farming, and Northern Maine has its own issues.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:10 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,846 times
Vermont is no place for conservatives. It would be like a crunchy-granola atheist type moving to Oklahoma and trying to fit in. Why not move to NC? The COL is low and lots of good soil, long growing season, plus plenty of churches.

By the way, if you have no farming experience, you probably want to hold off on buying a farm anywhere.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:52 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Vermont no way. Alabama yes.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:59 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
Vermont is no place for conservatives. It would be like a crunchy-granola atheist type moving to Oklahoma and trying to fit in.
I tend to agree with you. I wouldn't recommend Vermont to someone seeking conservative religious culture.

Still, my liberal Jewish cardiologist cousin and his liberal Cuban wife live in Oklahoma, where they're doing very well. They didn't move there looking to fit in, but for the sake of his work. To their surprise, they have found a good community of folks with compatible values and social tendencies. I guess anything's possible.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:08 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,339 times
Anything's possible but some things are definitely improbable. Why New England and inparticular Vermont? It really does sound as if the OP would find a better fit someplace else such as possibly the Bible Belt.

And farming? Any experience? If not, it would be a bad idea in general. Of course, there are always exceptions but have you really thought this through?

Old 04-19-2011, 07:11 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleriders View Post
I am a 40 year old with wife and 2 kids. We are private, kind, god fearing folks. We are not interested in politics, but would classify us as conservative because i believe in freedom from government controlling every decision in our lives. We want to buy a couple hundred acres and live a self sufficient life somewhere. We are looking for a community that feels that family values are superior to restrictive government control. Reasonable or no taxes. Good local economy for wood or farm products,
strong christian church activities, outdoor recreation and wildlife..... and no liberal transplants from NYC. Thanks in advance for any input!!!!!
If you want a large plot of land and low taxes on it, anywhere in the Northeast will be a bad value. Head west where there is far more open land and lower taxes on it.

If you are against "liberal transplants from NYC" then Vermont really isn't for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont