U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 06:59 AM

1,442 posts, read 5,897,418 times

Advertisements

What is going on with the Brattleboro Police Department?

Officers tasered two people who were peacefully protesting. Yes, they were on private property and yes, they refused to leave when confronted. But it is outrageous that they were tasered. People have died from being tasered. Amnesty International condemns tasering.

Even before this incident, I have read of concerns about the Brattleboro police. Scary.

But the town has been in an uproar about the tasering, pro and con. Apparently some residents are less liberal and tolerant than others. Many applauded the police and had no sympathy at all for the protesters. But at least the town has called a moratorium on tasering.

In NYC, we have had serious problems with police brutality. But Brattleboro is a small town, with a much praised sense of community.

How do the Brattleboro police compare with police elsewhere in the state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 07:04 AM

3,328 posts, read 8,764,751 times
I don't know the whole story, but I'd rather see someone get tasered than shot. Just my 2 cents.
Just keep in mind that the press does not tell the whole story. I have a little inside knowledge re: law enforcement due to my job and family members who are in law enforcement, and advise anyone to be not so quick as to form an opinion on something like this as there is far more to the story than what you see on the news.

Last edited by vter; 07-31-2007 at 07:13 AM..

Old 07-31-2007, 07:34 AM

12,263 posts, read 9,412,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
I don't know the whole story, but I'd rather see someone get tasered than shot. Just my 2 cents.
Just keep in mind that the press does not tell the whole story.
Me too. Imagine the brouhaha if they'd been shot. And the press just seems incapable of viewing the police force anywhere as anything but stormtroopers.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:57 AM

2,186 posts, read 5,980,359 times
Until further review the use of Tasers by the BPD has been suspended by the Selectboard. Interestingly, there is no training of their use at the Vermont Police Academy.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:02 AM

3,606 posts, read 9,255,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
What is going on with the Brattleboro Police Department?

Officers tasered two people who were peacefully protesting. Yes, they were on private property and yes, they refused to leave when confronted. But it is outrageous that they were tasered. People have died from being tasered. Amnesty International condemns tasering.

What would be your preferred treatment? By your admission they were protesting illegally and refused to stop when lawfully order to cease. You state they refused to leave, so I presume they did not just stomp their feet and scream "No I don't Wanna!" but probably physically resisted.

The only options left to any law enforcement agency would be to physically subdue and remove. They could club them into unconsciousness, shoot them (either lethal or non-lethal ammunition), taser, or chemically subdue them.

Pick your poison, but unless you expect the criminal protesters (as you described them) to provide the tools of their own submission, then you have to expect to be treated with the means the officers have available regardless of your approval of the means.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:09 AM

234 posts, read 1,148,868 times
I saw the protestor on the local TV news -- crying about how he was tasered, and holding up his arm to show the marks the taser left.
What the report didn't tell you, that the local newspaper story said, that as the police carried him away after the incident he was "smiling".

Doesn't sound like a publicity hound to me!! <sarcasm now off>

Old 07-31-2007, 08:38 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,415,020 times
Not all the facts are in so it's really hard to make a judgement. Do incidents of abuse occur, yes. However, just think about how much grief cops put up with on a daily basis, even up here in rural Vt. Yes, there are some out there that either should have found a different career path as well as the ones who have burned out. Overall though, cops have a pretty thankless job, sometimes deserved through their actions, but more often from just having to deal with baiting and argumentative jerks on a regular basis. As far as NYC goes, Arel, when you figure in 8 million residents and several million more more daily commuters and visitors with a police force of 35,000, and then calculate in the call volume the incidents of butality are pretty minimal. I put my twenty years into this field and to be quite honest if I had it to do all over again I would never do it. The constant dealings with arrogant, abusive, assaultive people coupled with with two faced administrators who view only their own personal gain and/or political favor as a primary career objective is really pretty disheartening. Sure I have memories of helping people and am glad for that. Now, as far as Brattleboro goes, the real question is not what is up with the Brattleboro police, but rather what is up with Brattleboro?

Old 07-31-2007, 08:44 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,415,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Me too. Imagine the brouhaha if they'd been shot. And the press just seems incapable of viewing the police force anywhere as anything but stormtroopers.
To read the papers here and even watch the televised news is an absolute waste of time. The lack of objective and factual reporting is astounding, not to mention that really newsworthy stories and potential topics for quality investigative reporting go completely untouched. This is not just related to crime and police issues, but the whole realm of news.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:46 AM

3,328 posts, read 8,764,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
Local Vermont police are scary, violence crazed individuals who
enjoy inflicting misery on people. I have to believe this was
just another case of unnecassary overreaction by a police department
staffed by angry, sadistic and overreaching authoritarian types
anxious to use thier new toys.
Are you serious? Would you like to meet to meet my step-father & brother and some of the local police in my town? They are quite the opposite as you describe.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:54 AM

3,606 posts, read 9,255,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
Local Vermont police are scary, violence crazed individuals who
enjoy inflicting misery on people. I have to believe this was
just another case of unnecassary overreaction by a police department
staffed by angry, sadistic and overreaching authoritarian types
anxious to use thier new toys.
Really, Protesters are idealistic, unwashed, free love preaching, anti war, drug abusing, rock loving, fanatics. So I have to believe that this is just another attempt to rouse public sentiment to a cause without objective value through the use of staged abuse on the part of a staid, conservative establishment.

Ok folks, whose fantasy do you find more appealing? I really wanna know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or