U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 04:27 AM

819 posts, read 1,267,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
When we were seriously considering building, we spoke with several builders and also an architect...We narrowed it down to one builder we really liked, and they went with us scouring land...narrowed it down to two lots, and they went over all site costs, and gave us a ballpark range of what it could cost. One lot we liked already had the driveway in, power to the building site, etc, but needed blasting for the foundation - which of course added $$. Another possible site didn't have a driveway, and the front of the lot was very wet, so there was drainage issues...they brought out an engineer to go over what that would entail.

I have to say, I learned a lot, but it definitely was very daunting taking all the costs into consideration and what could happen if we ran into an issue. As much as we wanted to build, in the end, even with what I thought was a decent budget, we bailed as the possibilities of going over the limit were very real and not something we wanted to mess with.
Good thoughts here.....

Ease of site prep is key to keep costs down. Trees are cheap to clear and chances are in VT someone would do it for damn near no cost for good wood. The well is blank check.....we lucked out in finding town water as we are on the outskits of a village center.

Blasting is another blank check......bad news.

Our foundation in 2009 cost $11K......24' x32' with a walk out on one end. I figure another 20% on top of that for inflation in construction costs.

Power......if power is available at the road that is a good thing, we have to run 3 poles down our 900' driveway......that was $5500.

Also, think about the driveway......good drainage etc. is key.....and can add costs to build something from nothing.

Finding the ideal site is hard, chances are you will have to compromise on something, the key is to limit the blank checks and unknowns you have in your site. A perfect site will be priced accordingly many times....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 06:12 AM

1,941 posts, read 3,229,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logs and Dogs View Post
A perfect site will be priced accordingly many times....
So true!!! All the 'affordable' lots we saw would've ended up costing us about the same as a higher priced lot due to the site work required...long driveways, well, blasting, etc...definitely keep this in mind as you shop around. Cheap land is sometimes cheap for a reason lol.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:27 AM

819 posts, read 1,267,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
So true!!! All the 'affordable' lots we saw would've ended up costing us about the same as a higher priced lot due to the site work required...long driveways, well, blasting, etc...definitely keep this in mind as you shop around. Cheap land is sometimes cheap for a reason lol.
those cheaper harder to work sites work well for the folks that want a rustic camp with a tight tank etc.

Anything that requires blasting scares the crap out of me, not due to the blasting itself but the implications of being that close to ledge. Well drilling.....total PITA and probably hundreds of feet further to water than average. Septic.....how effective will a leeching field be with only 3-4' of top soil on top of solid rock? Sounds like a crap swamp of a backyard to me.......

You learn a lot by building a home, at least we did.....

Old 03-11-2014, 03:35 PM

16,936 posts, read 22,220,713 times
A ledge would make a strong foundation.

It's the other things that could be a problem (well, top soil depth, etc.). I wouldn't be afraid of buying land with ledge under it necessarily, as long as there's water on it, I'd just build to the site instead of changing the site to suit the building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont