U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 10:23 AM

10,281 posts, read 11,168,402 times

Advertisements

If you don't want to live in a state where the people, through their elected representatives, have chosen to provide the level of public services that we have in Vermont and to tax themselves to provide those services, then maybe you don't want to live in Vermont. You might be able to live across the river in New Hampshire and pay lower taxes, although you would undoubtedly get a lower level of public services as well.

You may find it interesting to know that the people of Vermont feel so strongly about balancing the budget that we do it every year, even though there is no constitutional requirement to do so.

The property taxes shown on real estate listings do not give the entire story, because education taxes for a large percentage of the population are limited to a percentage of income, so a homeowner who falls within the income sensitivity level will pay a lower education tax than is indicated.

Many of the comments you have seen in this thread about Vermont government being anti-business or the like are nothing more than right-wing talking points, and should not be confused with factual information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 10:56 AM

3,079 posts, read 3,708,782 times
Right-wing talking points? Vermont IS anti-business, there is no doubt about it. I own a business in Vermont (and am in the process of moving it out of state) and I have seen entire factories pick up and move across the CT river, taking their jobs with them. I've seen businesses here in town throw in the towel because of onerous state regulations and/or because the cost of doing buiness in VT is prohibitively high. I've heard horror story after horror story from other small business owners about their dealings with Montpelier each and every time I've attended a small business seminar or webinar of any type. If I hadn't seen with my own eyes what happened to my business when it became the victim of the capriciousness of a VT state agency (they out and out lied so they could levy a fine) I would not have believed it. I base my remarks on personal experience. And I am anything but "right-wing."

I grew up here, went to high school here, own property here, and have served on the board of directors of a non-for-profit dedicated to helping new entrepeneurs. I have had a business in VT for almost ten years. I've given up fighting a losing battle and am in the process of getting my business removed from the reaches of the pig in Montpelier.

Yes you get a lower level of public services in NH but you also have a lower level of state employees sticking their noses into your business and being outright dishonest in order to generate revenues. Funny about those elected representatives; if you know the right one you can get the state to "fix" whatever problem you as a business owner are having. It happened with a nearby business just a couple of months ago.

Vermont wants to be poor and will continue eating its seed corn until it finally gets there. Who is going to pay for all the freebies when the state has hounded the last business out of its borders?

Old 05-14-2011, 06:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,031 times
Hi Forummer,

The property taxes are high in Vermont compared to the South and midWest. Budgets for each town are set at town meetings each year so some towns have different property taxes. However, education is also added to our property tax bill and that is very costly. Add to property taxes the cost of road repair, plowing, etc. and they are high BUT depending on your income, you can qualify for a "prebate" from the tax which goes to paying down your property taxes so the tax on a house listing doesn't tell the entire story. Don't know what you are looking for but yes, we are liberal here. We believe in live and let live, in health care and quality of life for all our residents. We have Bernie Sanders as our Senator, we have same sex unions and now thankfully, we are going to have single payer health care. We protect our air, our water, our land and our wild animals. And, we here in Vermont believe in equality for all. Yes, it is expensive compared to other parts of the country, no, we are not favorable to business really but we are devoted to maintaining a superior quality of life. You definitely do need to do some research on your own and learn more. Personally, after having lived all over the country, I can't imagine a better place to live. Quality of life here is pretty amazing. But it is definitely not the place for everyone.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:47 AM

5,818 posts, read 13,273,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natschultz View Post
But, you think $3-$5,000 a year is a lot in property taxes? Try $12,000 a year for a 3-bedroom cape on a 100x150 lot on Long island NY - spending per pupil is over $25,000 a year. Yes, that's right - 25 THOUSAND dollars for each student in my district. That's what you get when you refuse to secure the borders and the locals keep trying (in vain) to keep English and math scores above 60%. It increases $3,000 every year without fail (and yes, I always vote NO on the school budget).
Or $18K a year for a 3 bedroom on 100 x 100 lot in Nutley, NJ

Old 05-14-2011, 10:02 PM

2,186 posts, read 5,980,359 times
Let's make this simple. The amount of property tax you pay is dependent on the value of your home/land.

In Jay for example, according to the linked fact sheet your paying a combined$1.16 per $100 of value so if your home is worth $250,000 your paying about $2900/year. As mentioned if you make less than 90,000 you get a pre-bate, discount on your property taxes. If you make about 50,000/yr your taxes would be around $1800/year. I think there are decent places in the Kingdom in that price range.

Every town has a diferent town rate but each pays the same state tax rate. The town's rate is dependent on how much the town wants to spend for municipal items, decided on Town Meeting Day. If your sensitive about property taxes you can check out the towns with the lower property rates.

Last edited by MRVphotog; 05-14-2011 at 11:18 PM..

Old 05-17-2011, 03:38 AM

1,559 posts, read 3,170,789 times
Taxes are a bit higher in Vermont...but, they aren't that much higher than where I am living right now. My house is valued for tax purposes at $223000 (right around there) and I pay about $3400 in taxes on that... But - I also have to pay personal property taxes which adds up to about $1,000. Plus - every year our vehicles and motorcycles have to be inspected for safety - that runs at about $85 I think. Then we have to pay for emissions inspections and those run at $35 a piece plus a pain in the butt - because you have to wait in line just like for the safety (which could be in all different months - so you're always at the shop)....then you have to pay for annual registration around $100 a vehicle.... All those extras add up. Plus - home and car insurance seems to be higher here based on the research I did about a year ago.

A state is going to get you somehow....some, a little more than others. But - Virginia has nothing to show for everything they charge (and I'm sure I'm forgetting something). Our budget is in the hole and I'm not quite sure how it's going to ever get balanced.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:48 AM

1,941 posts, read 3,227,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
Our budget is in the hole and I'm not quite sure how it's going to ever get balanced.
Going out on a limb here, but I believe that the majority of states in the US right now are in the same predicament.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:19 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,056,514 times
What everyone is failing to look at is incomes in the state of Vermont. You can not compare propery taxes in Vermont to property taxes in another state without considering income. The fact is that about 50% of the residents in the state of Vermont make less than $12/hr FAQs & Figures - The Basics (these figures are based on 2009 data. The required livable income is higher now). Income is what makes the tax situation so bad in Vermont. With a small population the median income figure is not a true reflection of what people in the state make. Several indicators that things income wise, are not on the right path are the fastest growing occupations in Vermont are, waiters, waitresses, retail sales and cashiers. Also about 25% of all jobs in Vermont are tourist related, which all mean low wages. The Governor did an interview on WCAX on Sunday and also mentioned Vermont incomes have not increased in over a decade, while taxes have increased every year. A person making 24,000 per yr and qualifying for the prebate, is still paying a significant amount of their income to property taxes.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:29 AM

1,559 posts, read 3,170,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
Going out on a limb here, but I believe that the majority of states in the US right now are in the same predicament.
LOL. You are more than right...but VA even with the enormous amount of people and the enormous amount of money the state makes - we have a huge issue with illegal immigration (which is another whole issue and off topic). But - it takes a heck of a lot of resources to pay for ESL classes, medical, welfare, etc. for which many use. But - off topic.

I don't have a clue as to how to get a Vermont with less taxes.... If you check out the 'Retirement' threads - you'll see that folks despise areas with high taxes....but that's why the areas that have low taxes are starting to be 'over run'. I certainly don't want people flocking to Vermont and ruining the land because Vermont became one of those places that becomes super cheap to live. At the same time - for myself - obviously I would love that.

I don't know what the answer is.....

Old 05-18-2011, 08:33 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,056,514 times
We have illegals here as well, but I'm sure it's not the same as most other states. The number is higher than most knew. It was WCAX or the Free Press that ran a story on how illegals are going to be covered under the new health system. I don't think it is off topic. It adds to cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or