U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2011, 01:17 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,834,541 times

Advertisements

This might fall under a wildlife section??? But, for the past 8 days I have had a "crazy" bird constantly trying to fly through my house windows. He realizes he can't, then just hangs on the screen. It's less than 2 minutes between each attempt to get in. I sometimes think, "wow, the crazy bird finally left", only to find him on an opposite side of the house. Granted, this is not a "fly into the window oops" it is continuous ALL day long attempt to come in. He does not slam or crash but just wants to come in.

He is odd looking and since I notice birds and have a birds paradise yard, I wonder what he is. Ok, didn't get out the camera but he has a Robin's red breast but the back and tail feathers of a Mockingbird and he has a slim build as well (grey w/slight white tips). He also has a yellow tube like beak. I thought maybe he was "crazy" because it was a mixed species or it was a reincarnated family member trying to come in.

Anyone else ever had a such a strange bird experience or know what type of bird he might be? (lost my Audubon books in a fire)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 02:34 PM

3,328 posts, read 8,763,998 times
My first thought was barn swallow because they fly in an erratic pattern but they are not the color you describe (at least the ones we have around here)!

Old 05-05-2011, 07:45 PM

5,773 posts, read 12,295,466 times
I like the idea of a reincarnated family member - or maybe it's a finch of some sort. But that beak is throwing me.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:48 PM

819 posts, read 1,266,595 times
Was it a long tube like beak about 3-4" long and the breast coloring was slightly more dull than a robin? Big black eyes?

If so, sounds like a possessed woodcock confused about his mating flights.....

That's my guess

Old 05-06-2011, 10:59 PM

16,792 posts, read 28,995,932 times
""Timberdoodle" - American Woodcock" Fine Art Print by wendywetherbee | RedBubble

Old 05-07-2011, 09:35 PM

986 posts, read 2,025,972 times
Could also be a red-breasted nuthatch.

Red-breasted Nuthatch, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology

Old 05-08-2011, 05:29 PM

1,978 posts, read 3,195,024 times
Hahaha, oh man this is wild. Must be a New England thing. When I lived in central MA, there was this bird that would try to fly through the windows of my house. That ridiculous bird probably did that for three weeks before he/she finally left. I have no recollection of what the bird looked like, but I just think this is so funny. I have never since seen a bird doing that, hence my suggestion that maybe it's something that birds in New England do. Heheheh, maybe they're just delirious from their long flight back north.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:42 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,175,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Hahaha, oh man this is wild. Must be a New England thing. When I lived in central MA, there was this bird that would try to fly through the windows of my house. That ridiculous bird probably did that for three weeks before he/she finally left. I have no recollection of what the bird looked like, but I just think this is so funny. I have never since seen a bird doing that, hence my suggestion that maybe it's something that birds in New England do. Heheheh, maybe they're just delirious from their long flight back north.
Male Cardinals sometimes get attached/attracted to a window or vehicle mirror.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:24 PM

986 posts, read 2,025,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerz View Post
Male Cardinals sometimes get attached/attracted to a window or vehicle mirror.
At the house I grew up in in southern CT, I had a half below-ground bedroom with windows at ground level. There was a female cardinal who used to always hang out right at the window ledge, sometimes on the screen.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:51 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,834,541 times
Thanks everyone...I thought "crazy bird" was finally gone but he is still here. He has now focused on the cars and is attacking all car windows and the cars are covered with bird poop. Bad bird! He just sits on rear view windows and flies car to car trying to get in. He isn't obsessed with his image cuz he liked the house windows with screens as well.

But, I charged the camera battery and will try to snap him. Definitely not any cardinal, but thinking the nuthatch someone mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont