U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2011, 10:09 PM

2,186 posts, read 5,997,647 times

Advertisements

GMP just announced that it has signed a longterm agreement to get power from the Seabrook Plant in NH to replace the power the utility gets from Vermont Yankee. There are reports that CVPS is going to do the same thing.
GMP to buy power from Seabrook - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

I support nuke power as part of the energy mix so I support this but I want Vermont Yankee closed, it's not safe. I as well as many others felt this way before the mess happened in Japan.

If Vermont Yankee has no customers maybe this will save both parties from alot of aggravation and money from a court fight over extending the license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 06:34 AM

3,079 posts, read 3,726,829 times
I also support nuclear as one of the cleanest and most reliable sources of energy. It's certainly cleaner than solar and more reliable than wind.

I don't trust Entergy one bit however. Granted, some of the press in VT has been stooping to using scare tactics to create the impression that the tritium leaks are far more dangerous than they actually are. However, the executives either lied or were unaware of the underground pipes, either one is inexcusable.

The real problem is that Entergy has deep pockets and can easily club VT with a protracted lawsuit. I saw where the state has introduced a bill which would force VY to pay VT's legal fees. While I would like to see a reform which would protect litigants from the "deep pockets" advantage (meaning, doesn't matter who is wrong or right, whoever can pay to drag a lawsuit on the longest wins) I think this is going to create an even bigger mess. Entergy is going to fight with everything they have to keep VY open; not having customers won't stop them I don't think.

I'm not at ALL surprised about that out-of-state special interest group CLF whining and also those carpetbaggers in VPIRG. If this deal goes through, then those guys on the BOD of VPIRG who stand to rake in taxpayer money through their strawman Shumlin will be out of luck. Personally I think it would be great if Seabrook eats the lunch these conmen thought they were going to get for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont