U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 08:49 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,057,216 times

Advertisements

So I went up to Burlington area this weekend. I thought it was neat! It's a perfect size...not too big, not too small. And despite all the talk about it being overly liberal and populated with hippies and weirdos, I thought the general populous was fairly normal. Sure, the hippies are here and there, but I wouldn't go as far to say that they represent the average person in Chittenden. I was also impressed to see quite a few big box stores in the area, as well as new construction housing. Overall, the city and surrounding towns felt safe and I would be thrilled to visit again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 02:53 PM

144 posts, read 391,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I was also impressed to see quite a few big box stores in the area, as well as new construction housing.
that's precisely what we're trying to get away from by moving to vt!

Old 05-30-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIer View Post
that's precisely what we're trying to get away from by moving to vt!
Well, I ONLY want a few of those things. Not cluttered with them. That's what I liked about it. It has just enough for all your shopping needs.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:33 PM

986 posts, read 2,025,790 times
Quote:
Well, I ONLY want a few of those things. Not cluttered with them. That's what I liked about it. It has just enough for all your shopping needs.
Yup. VT is not littered with big box stores, part of what attracts me to the state (though I wish there was a Target up there).

BTW- I think I saw more shoeless people in Brattleboro than Burlington. Brattleboro is a bit more crunchy than Burlington.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:49 PM

Another thing I liked about VT is that it doesn't seem pretentious, in the sense that people are chasing money and showing off their cars and keeping up with the Jones'. It seems like a far less materialistic society than CT. People don't seem to care quite as much how they look or dress, either. In fact, when I was up there visiting someone, all I had was a dirty, worn-out shirt, and he (a native Vermonter) said, "eh who cares, just put it on...it's Vermont." LOL.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:57 PM

986 posts, read 2,025,790 times
Quote:
Another thing I liked about VT is that it doesn't seem pretentious, in the sense that people are chasing money and showing off their cars and keeping up with the Jones'. It seems like a far less materialistic society than CT. People don't seem to care quite as much how they look or dress, either. In fact, when I was up there visiting someone, all I had was a dirty, worn-out shirt, and he (a native Vermonter) said, "eh who cares, just put it on...it's Vermont." LOL.
That's very true. I noticed the difference when I moved from CT to RI, but it's even bigger between CT and VT. That's another reason I want to move there.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:14 PM

1,822 posts, read 4,520,092 times
Quote:
I LOVE this about Vermont. I'm from Miami Beach, and left Florida for the last time in 1988. The longer I'm away, the more alien that showy, materialistic culture feels to me. Though I was born into it, I never did feel at home. (Vermont is the first state I've ever referred to as "home.")

The last couple times I visited family in SFla, each time I returned home to Vermont, I ditched another trapping of my origin. After my last trip, I threw away my makeup, which I hadn't touched in over a year. In April, my spouse and I got a high compliment at an Aventura Nordstrum's Rack, where we stopped to get him some sneakers; the checkout clerk (who was from WMA) saw my license and said, "Oh, Vermont! You look like you're from there."

When I first joined this forum, a male poster launched a misguided attempt to "improve" Vermont women, saying they'd feel much better about themselves if they got their hair colored (i.e., no gray) and styled at a hairdresser, put on some makeup, and dressed in smart, tidy clothes. I couldn't stop laughing. It was the sexist version of what some transplants to Vermont try to do: Make it more like wherever they came from.

Interestingly, when I do visit Florida, my family and old friends exclaim, "You look fantastic!" I think it's because I'm happy.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:41 PM

16,935 posts, read 22,195,599 times
You'll find that materialist mindset, mostly among some of the wealthier transplants, and it's worst in Chittenden County. It's less common amongst native VT'ers.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:28 AM

1,559 posts, read 3,169,745 times
My husband remarked after spending so much time in Vermont where we'll eventually be moving (and I'll be moving back to) that this is obviously where I get my dressing habits, etc.... He said 'gawd honey - you are soooo Vermont' and it's one of the greatest compliments he's ever paid me. He finally 'got it'.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:01 PM

44 posts, read 101,063 times
Taking this the other direction.... If you want to dress up, and enjoy a night out are you ostricized? I'm sure there are some places that are a little upscale (more then jeans and a sweat shirt), right? I don't mean the tourist traps (i.e. ski resorts).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont