Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 07:28 PM

40 posts, read 88,049 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,
We are headed to central Vermont for a few days in early July and would love your advice on where to find the best places to hike, swim, and canoe/kayak. We're a family of five (kids are 14, 12, and 9). Really trying to avoid the tourist traps and just spend some quality time in nature. We'll be staying in Granville and are wanting to check out the Mad River Valley, Middlebury, and Montpelier areas. Ulterior motive of the trip is to convince our kids that Vermont is way better than Houston (shouldn't be too hard right!?) as we are hoping to move there within the next year. My youngest really wants to visit a farm or two as well so any suggestions about that would be great too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 05:38 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootsandwings View Post
Hi folks,
We are headed to central Vermont for a few days in early July and would love your advice on where to find the best places to hike, swim, and canoe/kayak. We're a family of five (kids are 14, 12, and 9). Really trying to avoid the tourist traps and just spend some quality time in nature. We'll be staying in Granville and are wanting to check out the Mad River Valley, Middlebury, and Montpelier areas. Ulterior motive of the trip is to convince our kids that Vermont is way better than Houston (shouldn't be too hard right!?) as we are hoping to move there within the next year. My youngest really wants to visit a farm or two as well so any suggestions about that would be great too.
This is one of my favorite spots in the state. Bartlett/Bristol Falls.

If you are in the Mad River Valley go to Warren, I recommend stopping at The Warren Store for a sandwich, then over the Lincoln Gap into Bristol. You'll see cars parked along Lincoln Road, I like the middle section. Even if it's crowded on a hot day, there are so many big rocks you can find your own niche for privacy. Depending on rock placement, you can sit in still water or racing water.

Bristol Falls Swimming Hole - Bristol, VT

Rocks can be slick! Bring waterproof footwear that provides traction

Last edited by quickdraw; 06-14-2011 at 05:48 AM..

Old 06-14-2011, 06:10 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,368 times
For Central Vermont you have to stop at the Floating Bridge on Sunset lake in Brookfield. Brookfield Floating Bridge Brookfield, Vermont, New England, USA I lived in Brookfield for about ten years and I miss this spot more than anything else in the area. You can canoe/kyake, swim and there aren't many trails in the area, but there are endless miles of little travled dirt roads and farm galore.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:49 AM

Thanks quickdraw and 68vette. Exactly the kind of info. I was hoping to get! Those falls are beautiful and my kids are gonna love walking behind the waterfall. And how cool is the floating bridge.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:05 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,858,634 times
what kind of hikes do you like? how hard or long i guess

i always like parking at the top of the appalachian gap, then going on the long trail south to the warming hut or starks nest at mad river glen. It is a good 1, or 2 hours each way respectively I'd say with nice views but it is not an easy hike.

Could also go up the access road at mt ellen...or sugarbush.

there's also warren falls... maybe 1-2 mile south on route 100 on the right hand side if you're headed south.

Last edited by joe moving; 06-14-2011 at 10:52 AM..

Old 06-14-2011, 10:54 AM

We're novice hikers (there are no mountains in our neck of the woods ), but all of like a challenge. So, probably moderate in terms of difficulty. Of course, my teens would vote for difficult all the way! Time/distance wise, if the views are worth it and there's somewhere to cool off on the way up or down, we don't mind spending a few hours on a trail.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:40 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,648,815 times
As far as I know the Floating Bridge has been closed to vehicular traffic for a couple of years. It's fallen into disrepair and is no longer buoyant enough to support the weight of a car, although it may still be open to pedestrians.

For hikes I would suggest Spruce Mountain (http://http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail.aspx?trailid=HGN202-039 - broken link), Mount Hunger (http://http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail.aspx?trailid=XTM006-016 - broken link), or Mount Elmore (http://http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail.aspx?trailid=HGN095-048 - broken link). They should be manageable for people who don't have a lot of mountain hiking experience, and Spruce and Elmore both have fire towers on top. For something more challenging there are several routes up Camel's Hump, which is beloved in Vermont both because it is the tallest undeveloped mountain in the state and because it is recognizable from miles around.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:40 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootsandwings View Post
We're novice hikers (there are no mountains in our neck of the woods ), but all of like a challenge. So, probably moderate in terms of difficulty. Of course, my teens would vote for difficult all the way! Time/distance wise, if the views are worth it and there's somewhere to cool off on the way up or down, we don't mind spending a few hours on a trail.
My only complaint about hiking in Vermont is that a high percentage of hikes
are on rocks, large and small. I used to enjoy moderate hikes in the midwest
while walking on dirt and looking around at the scenery. Here, it seems like my head is always down, analyzing my next step. Thinking where to put my foot on the next rock so it won't tip over. Makes wet hikes a bit more risky too.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:55 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,015 times
I love hiking uphill. It feels good on my body and I step confidently. (We're not talking climbing, but hiking.) For some reason, downhill feels difficult to me. I have rotten depth perception and I'm always misjudging my footing. Wish I could hike uphill both ways. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
My only complaint about hiking in Vermont is that a high percentage of hikes
are on rocks, large and small. I used to enjoy moderate hikes in the midwest
while walking on dirt and looking around at the scenery. Here, it seems like my head is always down, analyzing my next step. Thinking where to put my foot on the next rock so it won't tip over. Makes wet hikes a bit more risky too.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:35 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,858,634 times
i hate it too.. going downhill. This is why i love skinning on skis.best of both worlds!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont