Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 09:59 PM

3 posts, read 5,437 times

Advertisements

My partner and I live in Madison WI which I fear will soon no longer be the hotbed for progressive politics it is now. We are concerned that the safety net that exists for the time being here that our 35 year old depends on (she is physical and developmentally disabled). She lives with 2 other women who also are disabled and share a home and are supported by a live-in from a nationwide company that provides these sorts of services using funds that come from Medicaid, possibly Medicare and Social Security.

But should this support disappear we are considering a move to Vermont and hope to create a positive life for her there (and us). This would put her (and us) 400 miles closer to relatives on the east coast (including our soon-to-be born Grandchild). We are ok with the weather which is not that much different than ours, politically it more closely matches where we stand, we are very much into the green movement and love kayaking and hiking.

But...I am trying to get a handle on services available to families with in similar situations. Our guess is a larger town like Burlington is the best place for her to receive services but would like any thoughts, ideas anyone would have on the subject. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 10:02 AM

130 posts, read 279,054 times
I don't know how independent your daughter is but my first thought would be that I would never want to be in a weelchair or have physical problems if I lived in Burlington over the winter (Montpelier is even worse). In fact I have this thought every winter as it's bad enough if you are able bodied. The plowing is not good and only the only place that stays somewhat clear from snow and ice is Church St. I imagine this is because the shopkeepers play a part in it. I've been in Madison over winter and the streets are way clearer.

That may not be an issue for your family, but just a thought. I hope you find the services and help you need.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:16 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,652,372 times
Without knowing more details about what the disability you're dealing with is and where you're planning on living it's hard to know how to answer these questions.

One thing you might want to do, though, is to be in touch with the Vermont Center for Independent Living. Vermont Center for Independent Living (VCIL)

Old 06-24-2011, 11:18 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,667 times
I agree with Dippylou. One of my neighbors, a lifelong Vermonter, is moving out of state b/c her son was paralyzed in an auto accident and trying to get around here in a wheelchair is a nightmare b/w the snow and ice and old buildings without ramps or elevators.

You would probably find a decent number of services and I believe family members can get a stipend for taking care of their disabled loved ones, but the state budget is $150 in the hole and its facing a 50 percent cut to the federal block grant that funds many of its social services programs.

Might not be any better than WI when you take everything into consideration.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:22 PM

325 posts, read 706,010 times
Vermont has also stopped taking new applications for Section 8 housing, so you would be SOL in that area. And Burlington is NOT cheap(the reason I left). I would personally consider somplace like Portland, where it would be easier to get the help you need.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:49 PM

159 posts, read 405,154 times
This is what vermont has turned into, a magnet for progressives, i.e. liberals with a new name, who are seeking to tap into social services available nowhere else. Once they've driven out all those evil business men looking to make a profit profit who will be left to pick up the tab?

Old 06-25-2011, 04:31 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-springfielder View Post
This is what vermont has turned into, a magnet for progressives, i.e. liberals with a new name, who are seeking to tap into social services available nowhere else. Once they've driven out all those evil business men looking to make a profit profit who will be left to pick up the tab?
Rich retirees and the tourism industry. whom the state will squeeze as hard as they can - unless places like Killington are successful in seceding to NH,

Old 07-03-2011, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,394 times
Hi,
Good choice ! I lived in Vermont 16 years and am thinking of moving back at age 69. Have lived all over US and VT is still the best, most humane state. Universal health care just passed in VT! Gov. says no idea yet how to fund it. However, each county has a Free health clinic, including dental,with sliding scale going down to zero.

Burlington, largest medical center, however, check into Middlebury Hospital. I had a smarter
Dr. there than in Burlington years ago. Also check out Montpelier-Barre health care and Hitchcock Hospital in NH, near Dartmouth.

Burlington usually has the most services, in all social service areas, but in my recent search, Burlington living looked more expensive. However, HUD is based in Burlington. Also, there's a VT affordable living association in Montpelier that might be able to help. I don't know VT medicaid, yet.

Warning, if you will be working, you'll owe state of VT taxes at a rate of about 28% of what you pay IRS. Also, be prepared to earn less. Good luck.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,320 times
I moved here recently with no prior knowledge of how the state works.

I am low income SSDI I was able to get health care that not only did not deny pre-existing conditions, but paid everything for certain chronic re-existing conditions.

I was recently switched to medicare and cannot afford medigap, but needed to select a drug program. after hours of frustration, I called the council for the aging, and the woman had the best approach selected for me quickly. There were still some things I have questions about, and someone is coming to my apt. on Monday to make sure I am set up correctly.

One thing about renting. is that VT is pet unfriendly. That eliminates a lot of possibilities.

Also, if you find a place and are only able to get a month to month lease, the owner can raise the rent as much and as often as they want. Snow plowing and garbage is usually included in the rent.

Other problems are that unless you are in a city, there is no regular public transportation or taxis. With 2 days notice transportation can be arranged. I guess if your car is not available. you ask your neighbors for help.

There are state but not national camp grounds and they are very nice.

not national camp grounds means the 1/2 price senior/disabled national park pass is useless. and if electricity is needed for a medical problem while camping, each state park has one site with electricity, and usually not a very nice one.

Many areas have no cell phone signals.

The great things about Vermont are that it is really beautiful, the roads are plowed quickly, you only need to pass the dmv eye exam once (unless something happens that suggests you might need another.
People are not all in a rush, and all the agencies I have dealt with have gone above and beyond the services I have worked with elsewhere.

I find people to be reserved but friendly.

warning - I just had surgery and the surgeon as great, but Rutland Regional Hospital is the scariest place I have ever been.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:36 PM

459 posts, read 1,036,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relativelyso View Post
My partner and I live in Madison WI which I fear will soon no longer be the hotbed for progressive politics it is now. We are concerned that the safety net that exists for the time being here that our 35 year old depends on (she is physical and developmentally disabled). She lives with 2 other women who also are disabled and share a home and are supported by a live-in from a nationwide company that provides these sorts of services using funds that come from Medicaid, possibly Medicare and Social Security.

But should this support disappear we are considering a move to Vermont and hope to create a positive life for her there (and us). This would put her (and us) 400 miles closer to relatives on the east coast (including our soon-to-be born Grandchild). We are ok with the weather which is not that much different than ours, politically it more closely matches where we stand, we are very much into the green movement and love kayaking and hiking.

But...I am trying to get a handle on services available to families with in similar situations. Our guess is a larger town like Burlington is the best place for her to receive services but would like any thoughts, ideas anyone would have on the subject. Thanks.

There are so many people already here who have no connection to the state other than the services it offers that those services will not be available for long.
Remember, VT only has 600,000 or so people, and there are a lot of people moving here for benefits already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont