Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 04:14 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
I didn't hear anyone my age use the term "colored" until I moved to Vermont. Prior to that, my grandparents were the only people who referred to blacks that way.

There certainly are some racist people here. I once had someone corner me at a party and explain how he was upset that his daughter is dating a black man because "they're all on welfare and they don't like to work." But, overall, it's no worse than when I lived in N.J. in an area that was much more ethnically diverse. In N.J., it's just more covert.

Most people here are liberal and will go out of their way to befriend a black or hispanic person b/c then they can say they have friends of different races.

I am hispanic and while I've never been called a **** here I constantly get double-takes. People in my small town just aren't used to seeing olive-skinned, black-haired women with ethnic features, I guess.
"Colored" used to be one of the respectful terms for Blacks, the racist, unkind, term starting with an n and ending with r. "Colored" is perhaps outdated but I've never taken it to connote racism, without other evidence the person saying it is racist.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:57 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
It is your position that whites befriend people of other races in order to say they have friends of different races? Isn't making an assumption like that a tad racist?
No. No. No. My friends here didn't befriend me because I'm hispanic; they like me because I'm fun to hang out with and easy to talk to, though the fact that I make a mean sangria and a great arroz con pollo probably doesn't hurt. I was referring specifically to people who feel the need to mention that they have "black" friends and "hispanic" friends, etc. as if they need to prove that they're not racist. I didn't experience this until moving here and I find it a bit strange and kind of amusing.

Last edited by LisaMc46; 08-08-2011 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-08-2011, 05:47 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
I have Republican and Democrat friends. Does that count?

Old 08-08-2011, 07:50 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
No. No. No. My friends here didn't befriend me because I'm hispanic; they like me because I'm fun to hang out with and easy to talk to, though the fact that I make a mean sangria and a great arroz con pollo probably doesn't hurt. I was referring specifically to people who feel the need to mention that they have "black" friends and "hispanic" friends, etc. as if they need to prove that they're not racist. I didn't experience this until moving here and I find it a bit strange and kind of amusing.
Gotcha. I can see how people can be like that. I've had it in reverse. White as Casper and people get weird when they learn I am Hispanic.

Arroz con pollo and sangria are so yummy! My personal preference is arroz con gandules...my g-grandma knew her way around the kitchen. Her rellenos...omg...to die for.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:30 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,856,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
"Colored" used to be one of the respectful terms for Blacks, the racist, unkind, term starting with an n and ending with r. "Colored" is perhaps outdated but I've never taken it to connote racism, without other evidence the person saying it is racist.
Don't use 'colored' in the DC area...you'll either get the sh** kicked out of you or start a riot. However - down here it's a bit of a different ball game. I spent 1 year in an all black ghetto neighborhood directly after moving from Vermont. There were 3 white kids in that neighborhood. All I can say is that everything goes both ways...

Old 08-11-2011, 10:15 PM

63 posts, read 137,125 times
Racism is EVERYWHERE. I have had to deal with it personally from two stand points. I am originally from St. Albans, VT. I left in 1994 when I joined the Navy. There are many racists in that area. When my husband(Mexican decent) and I came home for a visit many years ago; we decided to go out to JW's. We ended up leaving because many of the men where making racial comments as we walked by. On the other hand, I have been called gringa many times, as well as overheard EX friends of my husbands ask him why he would want to be with some white girl and he should stay within his own race. To be honest, I am concerned about moving back to Vermont with bi racial children. The state is NOT as open and welcoming as it likes to pride itself in being.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:53 PM

353 posts, read 1,000,959 times
I lived in Vermont (for over 30 years) and now live in the south. I honestly saw/see more racism in Vermont. Kind of sad isn't it?

Old 08-13-2011, 02:04 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,197,332 times
I wanted to take a road trip with my girlfriend to Vermont, but after reading this thread, nevermind lol. I thought Vermont was supposed to to be the super liberal, friendly area.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:23 AM

166 posts, read 375,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
Don't use 'colored' in the DC area...you'll either get the sh** kicked out of you or start a riot.
What a ridiculous notion - that another word shouldn't be spoken because it's just TOO inciteful. Either way, you can't use "c-word" for colored, vermonter. . .that one's already taken.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:00 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
Don't use 'colored' in the DC area...you'll either get the sh** kicked out of you or start a riot. However - down here it's a bit of a different ball game. I spent 1 year in an all black ghetto neighborhood directly after moving from Vermont. There were 3 white kids in that neighborhood. All I can say is that everything goes both ways...
The NAACP uses it...

Though I have no plans of ever going near DC anyways, and I normally use "Black" too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont