U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-06-2012, 04:36 PM
 
43,012 posts, read 92,254,680 times
Reputation: 30387

Advertisements

Your posts are the epidomy of my point, OhBeeHave.

 
Old 01-06-2012, 05:02 PM
 
Location: Vermont
530 posts, read 1,184,227 times
Reputation: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Most importantly, Vermonters need to stop blaming the drug problem on drugs being brought into the state. Drugs being brought in isn't the problem. The problem is that a larger percentage of Vermonters are users compared to other states. That's what needs to be addressed. And Vermont is such a close knit community that there is no way everyone doesn't know who is using and selling in their areas. Yet people aren't getting busted. It's probably because everyone knows everyone and they don't want to bust a friend's son.
Hopes, the above statement is a huge assumption on your part. Do you even live in Vermont?
 
Old 01-06-2012, 05:50 PM
 
43,012 posts, read 92,254,680 times
Reputation: 30387
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny1951 View Post
Hopes, the above statement is a huge assumption on your part. Do you even live in Vermont?
The only assumption was my last sentence.

I can't think of any more logical reason the white dealers and users aren't being busted in proper demographic proportions.

Can you explain why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny1951 View Post
Do you even live in Vermont?
I'm the dreaded outsider who couldn't possibly know anything.
 
Old 01-07-2012, 05:30 AM
 
Location: Vermont
530 posts, read 1,184,227 times
Reputation: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The only assumption was my last sentence.

I can't think of any more logical reason the white dealers and users aren't being busted in proper demographic proportions.

Can you explain why?


I'm the dreaded outsider who couldn't possibly know anything.
What makes you think the "white" dealers aren't being busted proportionately to other races?

You are painting broad strokes here, without any personal experience.
 
Old 01-07-2012, 11:11 AM
 
43,012 posts, read 92,254,680 times
Reputation: 30387
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny1951 View Post
What makes you think the "white" dealers aren't being busted proportionately to other races?

You are painting broad strokes here, without any personal experience.
OMGoodness. It's a statistically fact. Blacks are arrested at a higher rate than whites in Vermont for drugs, but the addiction rate of the state is at 11.49% whereas the black population is only 1/2% of Vermont's population. Do the math. That means more whites are addicted and dealing drugs than blacks, yet a greater percentage of blacks are arrested than whites. That's what not being "busted proportionately" means. I'm surprised I have to clarify something so simple, but perhaps you didn't read the previous posts, mine and others, in entirety as a collection and in context.
 
Old 01-07-2012, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Inis Fada
16,833 posts, read 29,096,666 times
Reputation: 7397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
OMGoodness. It's a statistically fact. Blacks are arrested at a higher rate than whites in Vermont for drugs, but the addiction rate of the state is at 11.49% whereas the black population is only 1/2% of Vermont's population. Do the math. That means more whites are addicted and dealing drugs than blacks, yet a greater percentage of blacks are arrested than whites. That's what not being "busted proportionately" means. I'm surprised I have to clarify something so simple, but perhaps you didn't read the previous posts, mine and others, in entirety as a collection and in context.
It might be more helpful to your point if you cited where you found your statistics.
 
Old 01-07-2012, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Vermont
530 posts, read 1,184,227 times
Reputation: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
It might be more helpful to your point if you cited where you found your statistics.
Yes, I would like to see those stats for myself, especially the 11.49% addiction rate.
 
Old 01-07-2012, 03:15 PM
 
444 posts, read 685,095 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny1951 View Post
Yes, I would like to see those stats for myself, especially the 11.49% addiction rate.
This isn't exactly my favorite topic, but I looked into it a little. The 11.49% figure from Hopes came from here: Tables of Model-Based Estimates, State Estimates from the 2006-2007 NSDUH, SAMHSA OAS. Actually, the 11.49% is estimated Vermont 2006 and 2007 "Illicit Drug Use in Past Month," which is not the same as addiction, so that point was misleading.

I found some other information here: http://www.hrw.org/sites/default/fil...s0309web_1.pdf. According to this report, in 2006, drug arrests in Vermont were 6% black, 94% white. There were 2681 black arrests per 100,000 black population compared to 310 white arrests per 100,000 white population. So it's true that blacks are far more likely to be arrested for drugs in Vermont than whites. In those last figures, it certainly looks as if blacks are being targeted, but the ratio of black arrests to white arrests per 100,000 of each race is high in all states. Vermont is higher than average, but not as bad as Iowa, Minnesota or Kentucky. I think police profiling is common everywhere, and the statistics look worse in very white states, simply because blacks stand out more. From this information, I wouldn't say Vermont is more racist than other states.
 
Old 01-07-2012, 04:25 PM
 
Location: Vermont
1,475 posts, read 3,669,680 times
Reputation: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
There were 2681 black arrests per 100,000 black population compared to 310 white arrests per 100,000 white population. So it's true that blacks are far more likely to be arrested for drugs in Vermont than whites.
Most of the blacks arrested for selling drugs in Vermont are from Massachusetts and New York. The Vermont population means nothing.
 
Old 01-07-2012, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Vermont
1,475 posts, read 3,669,680 times
Reputation: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
OMGoodness. It's a statistically fact. Blacks are arrested at a higher rate than whites in Vermont for drugs, but the addiction rate of the state is at 11.49% whereas the black population is only 1/2% of Vermont's population. Do the math. That means more whites are addicted and dealing drugs than blacks, yet a greater percentage of blacks are arrested than whites.
actually it doesn't. you can't draw that from an addiction rate. plenty of blacks are dealing drugs and not addicted.

blacks getting a raw deal in Vermont. now that's funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top