U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2013, 11:20 AM

68,879 posts, read 51,052,030 times

Advertisements

I had some gusts to 40mph this morning. Rain and 30s here. I'm hearing many spinouts, accidents and sleet accumulations north of I-90 in MA. Messy storm. Hope you all are staying safe!

Radar loop 11:45am to 1:45pm

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 03:19 PM

10,618 posts, read 4,919,097 times
Accentuating the positive instances:
Weather here today is wonderful, IMHO
Little wind, sunny, prob. about 60 degrees.
Ideal day for opening up windows & getting caught up on some vacuuming, which I did.

Friday was a chilly mess, with slush, freezing, rain, snow, and temp. in 30's=perilous road conditions.
Sat. was near 50, partly sunny/cloudy, windy.
Same for Sunday-an improvement, but the wind chill chilled me & the clouds made for inadequate daylight.

Today feels "just right" (comfortable) to me.
In other words, the current weather news is that "there is no news"-I'm enjoying these conditions

Old 04-16-2013, 07:45 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,055,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
Accentuating the positive instances:
Weather here today is wonderful, IMHO
Little wind, sunny, prob. about 60 degrees.
Ideal day for opening up windows & getting caught up on some vacuuming, which I did.

Friday was a chilly mess, with slush, freezing, rain, snow, and temp. in 30's=perilous road conditions.
Sat. was near 50, partly sunny/cloudy, windy.
Same for Sunday-an improvement, but the wind chill chilled me & the clouds made for inadequate daylight.

Today feels "just right" (comfortable) to me.
In other words, the current weather news is that "there is no news"-I'm enjoying these conditions
Spring is definitely here. It was 63 degrees in Burlington yesterday and today not as sunny, but we are looking at high 60's and even warmer later in the week. The other thing I noticed today were lawns are very green and growing. I bet some people may be mowing lawns within a few weeks.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:16 PM

5,439 posts, read 14,740,724 times
yesterday was crazy - beautiful. So sunny! Today a little dreary but still nice, gusting wind though and rain, power flickering a bit. It may be time to hang up the skis soon?

Old 04-16-2013, 02:10 PM

10,618 posts, read 4,919,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
yesterday was crazy - beautiful. So sunny! Today a little dreary but still nice, gusting wind though and rain, power flickering a bit. It may be time to hang up the skis soon?
I don't count snow out until last of April.
Growing up in Maine, I recall an April snowstorm (during my childhood)-and that stuck with me.
So, while I don't anticipate there being any further snow here this season...I bear in mind it'll be another couple weeks before I feel certain.

Today began sunny, but turned overcast in afternoon.
High winds today were a struggle to walk in, but at least I made it back indoors just as the rain showers kicked in.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:30 PM

5,771 posts, read 12,294,354 times
I started scraping paint on a house yesterday on the edge of Lake Memphremagog. The ice is still there and we may still have a blustery day or two, but winter is over. Anything wintery from here on in should be just be a day's setback. Skiing should be pretty good for another month at Jay for just such an occasion.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:19 AM

129 posts, read 188,478 times
This is my second year in Vermont and last year wasn't representative of a normal winter. I have to say... this winter was pretty tough to cope with.

Spring may have officially started in March, but it's late April and trees still don't have leaves. We've had some nice days and I'm thankful for that, but I want to see some green.

It seems weird to me to still see ice and snow in late April. That trees are dead for more than half the year. Vermont definitely has 4 seasons, but spring and fall are about a month each, summer 3 months, and winter 7 months.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:06 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,055,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmILost View Post
This is my second year in Vermont and last year wasn't representative of a normal winter. I have to say... this winter was pretty tough to cope with.

Spring may have officially started in March, but it's late April and trees still don't have leaves. We've had some nice days and I'm thankful for that, but I want to see some green.

It seems weird to me to still see ice and snow in late April. That trees are dead for more than half the year. Vermont definitely has 4 seasons, but spring and fall are about a month each, summer 3 months, and winter 7 months.
Not to discourage you, but the past several winters have been mild. This year was worse than last year, but no where near normal winter for Vermont. We have been upgraded statewide with our climate zones, so winters may not be as harsh as they were 10+ years ago. I will not complain about that. If winter only lasted 4-5 months I would be happy.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:10 PM

68,879 posts, read 51,052,030 times
Default Mountain Snowpack Chart

Cool site just came across. Looks like we're above average snow up there since mid March

The University of Vermont: SKIVT-L: Ski Vermont Discussion List: Vermont Skiing Rules : Vermont Video Archive : Mount Mansfield Snow Depth Graph: Today

Old 04-18-2013, 07:39 PM

5,771 posts, read 12,294,354 times
that 87" peak didn't last very long. Today was an interesting study in VT weather. I came home around noon and the house was cold. I checked the outside temp and it was about 38 with light rain falling. I lit a fire in the stove, had lunch and nodded off for awhile. When I woke up I could hear the wind roaring outside, the sun was out and the temp was pushing 60.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or