U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 10:16 AM

68,760 posts, read 50,895,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
is there some statistical info to show when the first big snow normally occurs in different parts of VT. ?
Only a select few sites have kept good records... Hopefully in the near future we'll have more throughout each state.

Here's a good place to start...
National Weather Service - Burlington, VT

Same link above here's Records and Normals for
Burlington, VT - Montpelier, VT - St. Johnsbury, VT -

NOAA's National Weather Service - Burlington, VT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 06:41 PM

From US National Weather Service Burlington VT Facbook Page.

Quote:
Something to to keep in mind with respect to winter recreation involving ice on ponds, lakes, and rivers:

ICE COVERAGE AND THICKNESS ACROSS MOST PONDS...LAKES AND RIVERS IS "THIN" OR NON-EXISTANT AND WELL BELOW AVERAGE HEADED INTO THE HOLIDAY SEASON.

... THE 2ND WARMEST NOVEMBER ON RECORD AND A RELATIVELY MILD FIRST HALF OF DECEMBER WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE LACK OF ICE COVERAGE ACROSS VERMONT AND NORTHERN NEW YORK.
THE FIRST FORMATION OF SUBSTANTIAL ICE ON PONDS AND LAKES IS A LONG PROCESS DUE TO SEVERAL FACTORS. FIRST...WATER TEMPERATURES IN THESE BODIES OF WATER ARE JUST STARTING TO COOL FROM LATE SUMMER AND EARLY AUTUMN WARM READINGS.

SECOND...LATE AUTUMN AND EARLY WINTER SUB-FREEZING COLD SPELLS ARE INCONSISTENT AND GENERALLY FLUCTUATE BACK AND FORTH FROM COLD TO MILD UNTIL SEASONABLE MAXIMUM TEMPERATURES AVERAGE BELOW FREEZING WHICH IS MID TO LATE DECEMBER.

THEREFORE...SEVERAL WEEKS OF BELOW FREEZING TEMPERATURES, BOTH DURING THE DAY AND AT NIGHT, ARE NEEDED TO BUILD ICE THICKNESS TO SAFE LEVELS.

- AT LEAST 3 INCHES OF ICE IS REQUIRED TO SUPPORT "ONE" PERSON.
- AT LEAST 5 INCHES OF ICE IS REQUIRED TO SUPPORT A CAR/TRUCK OR A GROUP OF PEOPLE.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:47 AM

Maybe some light snows coming this week. Nothing like your used to seeing this time of year but notice the trough lately...

Low temps going lower than forecasted and the Highs are just going to Normal as opposed to 10-15 degrees above normal last month..

The Ridge which used to be centered over Missisippi is now over Bahamas which means the warm air shifted East as well leaving us with seasonable temps. Once a trough is secured temps will stay below normal but i dont see that happening yet...Maybe for a day or so but not locked in.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:59 PM

The latest run of the GFS model wil have Ski Resorts and snow lovers excited. It brings a Low from the OV and transfers it to a coastal low that moves up the coast. Negative tilted trough. Gives southern Vermont up to a foot.

Here's the snow totals based on this one run only. Things can and will change as time goes on.. Interesting setup though.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:42 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,051,483 times
I think the storm is going to be a wash, even in the higher elevations. We are back to our unusually warm temps and this will last until the storm passes tomorrow. It won't get cold until after the storm.
From WCAX: Today will be a quiet day, with mostly cloudy skies and highs in the upper 30s (we ended up in the 40's). But it will be the calm before the storm.

And although it's mid-December, the approaching storm will be mainly a rain & wind storm rather than a snow storm.

The storm will move in tonight, starting with a light, wintry mix of snow, sleet & rain. The wintry mix will last into Thursday morning east of the spine of the Green Mountains. But then there will just be periods of rain during the day. Winds will be strong and gusty out of the south.

After the storm goes by, colder air will rush in on blustery NW winds Thursday night and Friday. The rain will end up as some snow showers, with just a bit of accumulation, mainly in the higher elevations, on Friday.

The weekend will start out quietly, but colder. There is another chance for just a few snow showers late Sunday into Monday.

I think Matt Sutkoski and Adam Silverman summed up our recent weather the best:

“Schmutz” is a Yiddish word that refers to random, icky stuff that might get on your face or your clothes.

But thanks to one of my editors, Adam Silverman, we’ve coined a new term for weather that involves dankness, ice, slush, fog, mixed precipitation clouds and gloom. He calls this type of weather “schumtz,” and it really does describe the weather perfectly.

In case you haven’t noticed, we’re having schmutz weather now. There was a little snow and ice out there early this morning, along with areas of really dense fog. Here in St. Albans, the visibiity has improved to about a mile as of 8:30 a.m., up from near zero an hour or two ago.

I’m not expecting much immediate improvement in our schmutz weather in the next day or so.

Skies might brighten a bit at midday today, but a larger storm is coming in and will pepper us with a little snow, sleet, freezing rain and rain late tonight and early tomorrow morning. Schmutz, in other words.

Thursday looks a bit schmutzy as well, with rain and gusty winds.

Things get better starting Friday, with some sun for the end of the week and at least some of the weekend. That will come with a cooling trend. Nothing frigid, but enough for the ski resorts to fire up their snowmaking arsenal again.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
I think the storm is going to be a wash, even in the higher elevations. We are back to our unusually warm temps and this will last until the storm passes tomorrow. It won't get cold until after the storm.
From WCAX: Today will be a quiet day, with mostly cloudy skies and highs in the upper 30s (we ended up in the 40's). But it will be the calm before the storm.

And although it's mid-December, the approaching storm will be mainly a rain & wind storm rather than a snow storm.
Nice write up all together... by "approaching" I assume you mean tonights not next weeks?

Old 12-14-2011, 04:07 PM

Here's TWC White Christmas Forecast. Looks good for you guys

Old 12-14-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Nice write up all together... by "approaching" I assume you mean tonights not next weeks?
I never believe the extended forecast (in Vermont anyway). It's about as accurate as the government. Just a day ago we were supposed to get a decent snowfall and all we get is warm weather and rain. I'm sure we will have some snow by Christmas, but I doubt very much.
If people believe the extended forecasts, just look at the expected temps through the 23rd. With the exception of this Friday, each day will be about 40 degrees or higher. I'm not sure why the Weather Channel is predicting snow? Looking at their own forecast for Vermont, it will rain the 19th, 20th and 22nd and will be sunny the remainder of the days with temps in the high 30's to 40's the whole stretch.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:52 PM

5,764 posts, read 12,283,262 times
I would expect that what little snow we have here to be gone after tomorrow's rains. Saw my first iced over pond yesterday in North Troy, but it's a pretty small pond to begin with. Last year that same pond iced over in late October, though it didn't stay that way throughout the fall.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:02 AM

I would have to look at Vermont records, but this could be one of the warmest Decembers on record. November was the second warmest on record. In a way it would be great if the temps stayed warm all winter. There is so little money available for heating assistance, there could be thousands of Vermonters with little or no heat this winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or