Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2011, 09:48 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
I would have to look at Vermont records, but this could be one of the warmest Decembers on record. November was the second warmest on record. In a way it would be great if the temps stayed warm all winter. There is so little money available for heating assistance, there could be thousands of Vermonters with little or no heat this winter.
However, ski areas will lose massive amounts of revenue and that will hurt businesses, workers, and communites. This weather pattern is absolutely horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 12:21 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
However, ski areas will lose massive amounts of revenue and that will hurt businesses, workers, and communites. This weather pattern is absolutely horrible.
Although, the mountains are usually cooler and as long as temps are at or below freezing on the mountain, they will make snow. I agree its a catch 22.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:41 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,187 times
Full on rain in Stowe this morning, even at the higher elevations...def a lose situation for the resorts but helpful for those whose budgets are slim for heating.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:15 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Not to mention snowblower manufacturers and Salt producers.

It all evens out in the end so I cant make an argument on which is better for the economy. Both extremes are good and bad.

Well, I think the mid week storm is yours next week not the coast down here. Latest GFS gives up to half foot in some spots.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:21 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
It's plenty cold enough for them to make snow in the mountains. I about went off a mountain road in Shrewsbury from the snow on it yesterday.

I think the ski resorts do more harm by driving up the cost of living than they do good with a few low paying jobs anyways. If I'm not mistaken, to get more on topic, there was a ski area on Birdseye Mountain years ago. They never invested in snow making equipment and went under when a warm winter hit. I like it that way, the mountain looks better these days.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:03 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
there is top to bottom skiing at sugarbush, at least there was yesterday. i would suspect MRG is pretty bare top to bottom

Quote:
Mt. Ellen opens for the season tomorrow! The Green Mt. Express and Summit chairlifts, accessing Rim Run, Lower Rim Run, and Panorama will be open. Downloading on the GMX will be required. Inverness is scheduled to open for Sunday, as well.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:22 PM

Next week is a storm for you guys... Ski resorts should be happy. Not sure how much moisture is associated with it yet ( I havent checked yet)

Storm #1. 21st
Storm #2. 23-25th
Storm #3. 28th

All have to be watched closely... Here's accu's thinking for next week..I agree with this set up.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:19 PM

Very cool. Its a sticky now. :-) Thanks vter..

NWS Burlingon says Track next week will be NY/PA into New England with 3-6" possible if layer temps stay on the colder side.

Quote:
UPR WAVE EMERGING OUT OF THE MID-MISSISSIPPI AND OHIO VALLEYS TUESDAY NIGHT WILL TRACK QUICKLY ACROSS NY/PA AND ACROSS SRN NEW ENGLAND ON WEDNESDAY. GOOD AGREEMENT IN 12Z NWP SUITE WITH THIS FEATURE MID-WEEK. TRIPLE POINT LOW DEVELOPS AS SFC WAVE REACHES THE WATERS SOUTH OF LONG ISLAND...WITH DEEPENING SURFACE LOW NEWD INTO THE GULF OF MAINE. SYSTEM IS NOT EXPECTED TO HAVE TIME TO CLOSE OFF AT 700MB HOWEVERQUICK MOVING NATURE OF SYSTEM SUGGESTS LIGHT TO MODERATE SNOW/SLEET POTENTIAL...PERHAPS 3-6" /ADVISORY CRITERIA/ RANGE IF VERTICAL PROFILES STAY ON THE COLDER SIDE
National Weather Service Text Product Display

Old 12-18-2011, 10:10 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
I saw -1F last night, not sure if that is accurate, must have been the coldest for this fall.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:18 PM

Yeah it hit 20s down here at the coast and real feel in the teens. Definetly lower than forecasted.

Sorry I havent been keeping up to date on whats happening. There's a possible storm for Christmas but I think the bulk of it will stay south of VT.

There's a few storms on the way actually.

his was updated this morning so you can see the lows for today. 7 in Burlington. (thats without the windchill)
http://kamala.cod.edu/vt/latest.asus61.KBTV.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont