U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2012, 12:56 PM

69,214 posts, read 51,418,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
18-19 months of above average temperatures must be indicative of the "new normal." Northern New England seems to be warming up much faster now compared to the previous few decades. This will bring a whole host of problems to the forests if this trend continues for much longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
I would say the same is true for Vermont. We are much warmer than typical. It has been on the news as well. We are above average in temps. Just going back ten years ago, it was normal for the first frost to arrive during the first week of September. We are almost into October without a frost.
Interesting and yes, I've noticed VT isnt dropping as much. 30s made it to CT but VT has not made it to 20s (I dont think)..

Whats funny is, there's a setup sometimes with a negative NAO that the cold air bleeds SouthEastward but leaves Northern New England warm. Just the way the setup goes because there's strong enough blocking where NH and ME even VT would be protected from the cold air sliding southwards. I know others years have had that. I believe 2009-10 when the Mid Atlantic broken snowfall records but it wasnt that cold in new England. (I think)

Also good to note, the trough has been centered over the OH valley so the upper mid west has been getting hit hard with well below normal temps. Up to 18 below normal.

Normal lows are 50s and those spots are getting into the mid 30s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 03:46 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,066,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Interesting and yes, I've noticed VT isnt dropping as much. 30s made it to CT but VT has not made it to 20s (I dont think)..

Whats funny is, there's a setup sometimes with a negative NAO that the cold air bleeds SouthEastward but leaves Northern New England warm. Just the way the setup goes because there's strong enough blocking where NH and ME even VT would be protected from the cold air sliding southwards. I know others years have had that. I believe 2009-10 when the Mid Atlantic broken snowfall records but it wasnt that cold in new England. (I think)

Also good to note, the trough has been centered over the OH valley so the upper mid west has been getting hit hard with well below normal temps. Up to 18 below normal.

Normal lows are 50s and those spots are getting into the mid 30s.
We are heading into our 18th consecutive month of above average temperatures and worldwide the 330th consecutive month of above average temperatures.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
We are heading into our 18th consecutive month of above average temperatures and worldwide the 330th consecutive month of above average temperatures.
Wow! Yeah, I just checked BTV and they are 2.1 above normal for the monthly mean temp. Gees.

but look how cold Green Bay, WI is which is same latitude as BTV. http://www.city-data.com/forum/26218221-post556.html

Are you guys happy or sad it's not been as cold yet?

Old 09-23-2012, 04:17 PM

444 posts, read 685,300 times
Quote:
Are you guys happy or sad it's not been as cold yet?
Some members of our household wish the tomato plants would die, but they're still producing. At least it's cold enough for the hummingbirds to depart - won't be back until next May.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:15 PM

16,955 posts, read 22,268,498 times
It better stay warm longer, a squirrel destroyed the little immature melons on my watermlon plant. Now I've got to hand pollinate some flowers and start over.

But seriously, we need a cold, long Winter to cut down on some serious bug and disease problems, to protect people and our forests and our wildlife. As odd as it may sound that a cold Winter is a good thing. It's not real fun hunting in warm weather either, meat can spoil before it's out of the woods.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:49 AM

The warmer weather is a bonus for many. The state reported that this is going to be a record year for heating assistance and there is not enough money to help everyone.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:52 AM

I'm going to say that the High peaks get snow before Mid October. Which isnt rare but a nice thing to happen.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:26 PM

Just be lucky you guys dont live near the Atlantic Ocean. Its days like this I absolutely regret it here and hope to move to VT one day based soley on weather preferences. It's muggy and warm again.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/26278285-post745.html

Old 09-27-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Just be lucky you guys dont live near the Atlantic Ocean. Its days like this I absolutely regret it here and hope to move to VT one day based soley on weather preferences. It's muggy and warm again.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/26278285-post745.html
If it makes you feel any better, it's warm here too. I was in the garden picking more tomato's and several of the tomato's and eggplant have new blossoms. The roses are still blooming as well.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
If it makes you feel any better, it's warm here too. I was in the garden picking more tomato's and several of the tomato's and eggplant have new blossoms. The roses are still blooming as well.
LOL.. Unfortunetly it didnt help. LOL because I'm looking at the temps there and its 60s with 50s in the north. I'm in the 70s and muggy. Its summer here again. LOL It should change after tommorrow though. But that Warm Atlantic has crazy affects on water in the air.

Speaking of roses, thats great to hear, I was going to post a picture of mine "blooming" and wondering if that was normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or