U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2011, 05:49 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,933,287 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a small cabin/vaca home. What would be some good towns to look in? Prefer the southern/mid part of VT

I would also prefer a gated/amenity devel. So much info online, I do not know where to start.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 06:50 AM

10,273 posts, read 11,162,213 times
There are many vacation sites in Vermont, but you're not giving us much to go on.

Gated communities are, if not unknown, very rare here. Still, it sounds as though you're looking for someplace more developed, rather than the rural cabin on a pond that people in Vermont call a "camp".

Depending on what activities you're interested in and what seasons you want to be here, you might look at some of the ski areas, many of which are moving to four-season living. In Southern Vermont Killington might be a good place to start.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:17 AM

864 posts, read 897,747 times
Quechee Lakes is a vacation complex of homes. I've been by it and I get the impression it's pretty expensive.

I haven't seen any other gated communities.

You can try craigslist also, lots of cabins and small vacation homes on there.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:19 AM

190 posts, read 547,776 times
What time of the year would you prefer to be visiting? Autumn is of course lovely and summer is nice (albeit buggy), but if you are looking for a cabin out in the woods keep in mind harsh winter roads and muddy, difficult spring roads. If you would like a cabin on the lake, how about trying the Bomoseen area or Lake Dunmore? If you are really looking to "get away from it all" you should look up route 100 or maybe try someplace up in Ripton or Rochester. If you would rather be closer to a town I would consider looking around Middlebury, Brandon, or Bristol.

I don't really understand why you are interested in a gated community. Vermont does not "do" gated communities; most Vermonters don't understand the point of them since our state is so safe anyways.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:33 AM

I do want the lake, pond, log cabin/camp ect...
Nothing big. 600-1000 SF
I mentioned gated, only for secuirity reasons since I will not be there throuhout the year.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:36 AM

5,439 posts, read 14,739,298 times
i don't think you are going to find a camp in a gated community

for a camp.. you might try craigslist

Old 08-11-2011, 12:46 PM

16,935 posts, read 22,192,854 times
Better to just get friendly with any full time neighbors so they keep an eye on things. Perhaps put in a good security system. But unless you're leaving something very valuable there full time, I really wouldn't worry too much. Just a guess of mine, but gated places are probably more likely to be a target since people will assume the owners/residents have money...

Old 08-12-2011, 06:11 AM

I looked on Craigs lists & Realitor.com Some nice camps/cabins. I just have to narrow down the area/town.

Thanks for all your help!

Old 08-12-2011, 06:10 PM

190 posts, read 547,776 times
Hey, are you only looking in southern/central VT? Some family friends just moved up to Swanton and they love it there. They were able to get a beautiful house right on the waterfront for only about 200k. They say that their neighbors are really friendly (a lot of them are transplants) and really look out for them. To be honest there are a couple things I'm not crazy about, like how Swanton is a bit rough in it's town center, how far away it is from everything, and how the foliage is rather "scruffy," but you might want to look up there too.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:20 PM

16,786 posts, read 28,987,436 times
There are lake homes between Ludlow and Plymouth but the names of the lakes are escaping me. Some cute homes and not too far of a ride coming from LI (assuming you are on LI based on other posts.). While I didn't set out looking for gated communities, I can tell you we didn't encounter any.

We had the clunker rule. Anything that was an eyesore or had the potential to be a problem near a home we looked at was a strike against the house.

Clunker to us: toilet set between the garage doors 30' away from the road. A figure hanging in a barn, barn doors wide open. Trash all over property. Unregistered vehicleS on property. Dumpy trailers with T111 extensions. Clothelines in the front yard. Dogs on chains attached to ratty doghouse. (Poor creatures.).

I bought somewhere I felt comfortable and where I wouldn't be viewed as trying to impose my manner of living upon the neighbor's.

Never needed a gated community.

Don't have an alarm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont