Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 12:57 PM

7 posts, read 12,639 times

Advertisements

After months of contemplating i've made up my mind to relocate to burlington from Phoenix,Arizona. As a Mexican American am i going to really stand out in a state that has a hispanic population of 1%? Am i going to be "the mexican guy" in town? Also, has the meth epidemic really reached Vermont/New England? I really hope not, as one of the things that really makes me sick here is when you walk around here you see people everyday with what we call a "meth face". I was even chased down the street when night by a violent "tweaker".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 01:18 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,098 times
Sorry, meth is everywhere. I doubt very much there are everyday encounters, or the level you see in "real" cities. But sadly, there's no totally escaping drug culture.

Burlington is about as culturally diverse as Vermont gets. You surely won't be the only darker-skilled person people see. Still, Vermont is mighty white. I hope someone here will speak about their experience of being visibly darker/Hispanic in Burlington, whether people stare or worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yournamehere View Post
After months of contemplating i've made up my mind to relocate to burlington from Phoenix,Arizona. As a Mexican American am i going to really stand out in a state that has a hispanic population of 1%? Am i going to be "the mexican guy" in town? Also, has the meth epidemic really reached Vermont/New England? I really hope not, as one of the things that really makes me sick here is when you walk around here you see people everyday with what we call a "meth face". I was even chased down the street when night by a violent "tweaker".

Last edited by Sherylcatmom; 08-15-2011 at 01:32 PM..

Old 08-15-2011, 04:57 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
i haven't seen a tweaker since i lived in phoenix

i would think weather will be your biggest shock!

Old 08-15-2011, 05:13 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,676,147 times
Vermont is beautiful but too laid-back for me. I used to live in Burlington and though it was too "hippiesh".

The weather is also the complete opposite of Arizona. (I was stationed in Southern AZ 4 years ago)

Who knows, you might like it.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:37 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
You wouldn't be that unusual in Burlington, but you would be in the rest of VT, which is largely rural..

There is a little bit of a drug culture in downtown Burlington, but I wouldn't be overly concerned about it..

I think that your biggest worries should be employment and affordable housing. The students will be moving back soon ( University of Vermont, St. Michael's College), and the rents are sure to explode; this may complicate the job situation, too, so be prepared..

Lastly, the weather. Heavy snow, with any number of January night below zero, or at least in single digits. Not exactly Arizona.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:56 AM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Not to hijack this thread, but Ithaca NY is similar and is more diverse. It is probably more affordable too.

Also, it is in a state where your concern in terms of sticking out would be lessened. Actually, there are small towns outside of Ithaca with noticeable amounts of people of color.

Plattsburgh across Lake Champlain might work too.

Could places like South Burlington, Winooski and Essex be good alternatives?

Old 08-17-2011, 08:50 PM

28 posts, read 78,429 times
It's extremely RURAL! Meaning...no 24-hour shops, Walmart closes at 10pm, no Safeway, Fred Meyers, etc. Food is 150% more expensive than Oregon (where I'm from) and there are NO APARTMENTS aside from what you find in Burlington. Expect to live in a duplex with your landlord...lol

I just need to tough it out for the next year or two...

Old 08-19-2011, 07:23 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,497,821 times
Brattleboro, in the southeastern part of the state, is somewhat diverse. We have SIT here (School for International Training) and NECCA (New England Center for Circus arts). Both attract people from all over the world.

A Mexican arialist once helped me helped me in a local store. He was studying at NECCA.

There are lots of international students here. I have also seen more and more people of color.

Unfortunately, as in most other places, there is a drug problem in Brattleboro. And there is an increasing concern about safety, especially after a recent drug-related murder in Dummerston, an adjacent town.

That said, Vermont is one of the safest states in the country. When there is a murder, it is a Big Deal. I was told this when I was considering moving here, and I have found it to be true.

But, as others have pointed out, a huge issue is the weather. Winters are cold and full of snow, and that will require adjustment. You will have to get used to heavy, layered clothing, boots, winter driving and expensive heating fuel. Adjusting to winter here involves safety as well as comfort.

Another huge issue is financial. Vermont is known for its high cost of living and low wages.

But it is telling that lots of people choose to move here from other places. And to stay here. It's not uncommon to hear that someone came to Brattleboro to study, fell in love with the area and stayed.

As with any move to a new area, check the place out first. But, if possible, come in winter, when you can experience first hand what it feels like.

Good luck.

Last edited by arel; 08-19-2011 at 07:34 PM..

Old 08-20-2011, 01:23 AM

321 posts, read 362,793 times
LOL at anywhere in Vermont being "diverse". When I think of diverse, I think of where I live-

South Florida. I have been to Bennington, Burlington (UVM), Essex Junction, Rutland etc... and the only diversity you will see is the different flavors in the Ben&Jerry's Ice Cream Shops.

Oh and the occasional tourist at Stowe. GL

Old 08-20-2011, 05:23 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,098 times
It's a relative term, of course. I'm a South Florida native, and grew up immersed in what you're referring to. In some Vermont towns, one hears other languages spoken, sees people of different ethnic backgrounds, and observes cultural behaviors from other locales. I see these folks. Are they invisible to you?

It will never compare to South Florida. Still, some Vermont towns have a modicum of diversity beyond ice cream flavors and corn varieties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabluesrq View Post
LOL at anywhere in Vermont being "diverse". When I think of diverse, I think of where I live-

South Florida. I have been to Bennington, Burlington (UVM), Essex Junction, Rutland etc... and the only diversity you will see is the different flavors in the Ben&Jerry's Ice Cream Shops.

Oh and the occasional tourist at Stowe. GL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont