U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-16-2011, 09:10 AM
 
30 posts, read 53,209 times
Reputation: 17

Advertisements

I really do appreciate all of this feedback. Those last few posts were SUPER helpful!!
I should be clear that we are Jewish. Although NJ has a HUGE population of Jews, there are ZERO in the town we live in. My kids are the only Jewish kids in their school. At Chanukah every year, the teachers ask my kids to stand up and talk about "their holiday". I guess I am just not looking for a place where they will again be so singled out- nor will they be the only one of their "kind". I guess that is what I mean when I ask for some place that is diverse. Where there are different kinds of people- where everyone is not white, Irish or Italian, Catholic- which is where we live now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-16-2011, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Winter Springs, FL
1,789 posts, read 4,058,732 times
Reputation: 925
If you look at any of the data including the census data, Vermont is one of the least diverse states in the country (one of the most white states in the country). If you have your heart set on Vermont and you want diversity, the Burlington area is by far the most diverse area of the state. The only issue I can see is that most of the diverse areas are also some of the least wealthy communities. Even with the increasing diversity in this area, it is still a very white place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2011, 11:08 AM
 
22 posts, read 17,269 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellew_ View Post
I really do appreciate all of this feedback. Those last few posts were SUPER helpful!!
I should be clear that we are Jewish. Although NJ has a HUGE population of Jews, there are ZERO in the town we live in. My kids are the only Jewish kids in their school. At Chanukah every year, the teachers ask my kids to stand up and talk about "their holiday". I guess I am just not looking for a place where they will again be so singled out- nor will they be the only one of their "kind". I guess that is what I mean when I ask for some place that is diverse. Where there are different kinds of people- where everyone is not white, Irish or Italian, Catholic- which is where we live now.
There is a Jewish Synagog (sp) in South Burlington. One of my daugter's best friends in elementary school is Jewish. I don't know how large of congregation they have, but I'm guessing it's reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2011, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Rutland, VT
1,822 posts, read 4,522,914 times
Reputation: 772
Huh. That's interesting about a NJ town with so few Jews that your children are singled out.

My experience in Vermont is that there's a noticeable Jewish presence. Little ol' Rutland, where I live, had this wonderful exhibit, and the opening didn't even have standing room left: VPR News: Exhibit celebrating Jewish women opens in Rutland. Vermont's first female Governor, Madeleine Kunin, is Jewish.

I have never once felt out of place in Vermont. To be fair, I have no human children, and I self-identify as Jewish only culturally; I participate in no religion of any kind.

I'm a native Miami Beach Jew who grew up where Jewish culture predominated to the extent that I was in college before I realized that Jews were not a sizable minority, but a tiny one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellew_ View Post
I really do appreciate all of this feedback. Those last few posts were SUPER helpful!!
I should be clear that we are Jewish. Although NJ has a HUGE population of Jews, there are ZERO in the town we live in. My kids are the only Jewish kids in their school. At Chanukah every year, the teachers ask my kids to stand up and talk about "their holiday". I guess I am just not looking for a place where they will again be so singled out- nor will they be the only one of their "kind". I guess that is what I mean when I ask for some place that is diverse. Where there are different kinds of people- where everyone is not white, Irish or Italian, Catholic- which is where we live now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2011, 08:28 PM
 
30 posts, read 53,209 times
Reputation: 17
Tell me about it! I think we picked the one spot in NJ !

This info is great, thanks. I had no idea that the Governor of Vt was Jewish.

Truth be told, we identify with being Jewish more culturally than religiously also, however, when my kids say they are Jewish, I despise the fact that kids actually say " what's that?"! I mean, maybe there are no other Jews in town, but come on... how about teaching kids that there are actually OTHER people out there who are not just like them in every way!

I grew up in an area of Philadelphia where I too believed that jews were a population majority- lol

Ok off my soapbox...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
Huh. That's interesting about a NJ town with so few Jews that your children are singled out.

My experience in Vermont is that there's a noticeable Jewish presence. Little ol' Rutland, where I live, had this wonderful exhibit, and the opening didn't even have standing room left: VPR News: Exhibit celebrating Jewish women opens in Rutland. Vermont's first female Governor, Madeleine Kunin, is Jewish.

I have never once felt out of place in Vermont. To be fair, I have no human children, and I self-identify as Jewish only culturally; I participate in no religion of any kind.

I'm a native Miami Beach Jew who grew up where Jewish culture predominated to the extent that I was in college before I realized that Jews were not a sizable minority, but a tiny one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2011, 08:34 PM
 
30 posts, read 53,209 times
Reputation: 17
Since people are talking a lot about the cost of living, price of gas, wages, taxes, etc.
I thought maybe I'd provide some info and see what is comparible with where I live, and various parts of Vermont. I don't know why but I feel like no matter what I wind up paying in Vt, it'll still be less in the end that what I pay now.

My house is appraised at $301,000- though I doubt I can get near that in this market- $250 if I am lucky- so figure that is what I have to work with. It's 3 bedrooms 2 baths on just under an acre.

My mortgage is $2,000 a month.

My property taxes are $8,100 a year.

Gas is $3.47 a gallon.

Milk (I only buy organic) is $3.69 a half gallon.

Hmmm what else can I compare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2011, 10:42 PM
 
Location: Inis Fada
16,812 posts, read 29,028,345 times
Reputation: 7390
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellew_ View Post
Since people are talking a lot about the cost of living, price of gas, wages, taxes, etc.
I thought maybe I'd provide some info and see what is comparible with where I live, and various parts of Vermont. I don't know why but I feel like no matter what I wind up paying in Vt, it'll still be less in the end that what I pay now.

My house is appraised at $301,000- though I doubt I can get near that in this market- $250 if I am lucky- so figure that is what I have to work with. It's 3 bedrooms 2 baths on just under an acre.

My mortgage is $2,000 a month.

My property taxes are $8,100 a year.

Gas is $3.47 a gallon.

Milk (I only buy organic) is $3.69 a half gallon.

Hmmm what else can I compare?
Phone, heating oil (or whatever you use to heat with), electric rates, car insurance, homeowners ins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2011, 06:06 AM
 
Location: Rutland, VT
1,822 posts, read 4,522,914 times
Reputation: 772
Really? "What's that?" I don't think I've ever run into that. Good life experience, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellew_ View Post
This info is great, thanks. I had no idea that the Governor of Vt was Jewish.


To clarify, Madeleine Kunin is a former Governor of Vermont. And a fascinating person! I love hearing her speak. She continues leadership in the nonprofit sector, as a writer, advocate, and more:

Madeleine May Kunin - Serving the Public Good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2011, 07:13 AM
 
Location: Vermont
10,283 posts, read 11,182,348 times
Reputation: 14122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
Really? "What's that?" I don't think I've ever run into that. Good life experience, I guess.



To clarify, Madeleine Kunin is a former Governor of Vermont. And a fascinating person! I love hearing her speak. She continues leadership in the nonprofit sector, as a writer, advocate, and more:

Madeleine May Kunin - Serving the Public Good
I'll never forget the letter to the editor from years ago that referred to Madeleine, who came to the United States as a refugee from Switzerland, as a "flatlander".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2011, 07:30 AM
 
Location: Vermont
10,283 posts, read 11,182,348 times
Reputation: 14122
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Phone, heating oil (or whatever you use to heat with), electric rates, car insurance, homeowners ins.
The Department of Public Service maintains a report on fuel prices in Vermont, updated monthly. The key figure is the price per BTU, not per gallon.

VT Fuel Price Report : Vermont Department of Public Service
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:06 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top