Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 12:37 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,374,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippylou View Post
And Germany has a climate and culture that's much more hospitable. We're not talking about a European country. We're talking about friggin Vergennes which is small and remote that's lost a lot of businesses in town in the past year, and has brutal winters. I don't know why nobody is allowed to disagree with you, frugal, but I hope you get over it soon. I can't even be bothered to answer your last statement it's so ridiculous. I hope that makes you happy.
Dippy, you appear to have misunderstood my post, the point of which was to AGREE with you that if a car is needed even in a major German city with a public transportation system, it would be regarded by most people as an absolute necessity in a small town in Vermont.

Even so, depending on the individual, I can imagine someone making it work without a vehicle. I know people without vehicles in small Vermont towns and wonder how they do it, but they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 01:15 PM

130 posts, read 279,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Dippy, you appear to have misunderstood my post, the point of which was to AGREE with you that if a car is needed even in a major German city with a public transportation system, it would be regarded by most people as an absolute necessity in a small town in Vermont.

Even so, depending on the individual, I can imagine someone making it work without a vehicle. I know people without vehicles in small Vermont towns and wonder how they do it, but they do.
My deepest apologies, Frugal. I guess I was picking up on the tone of the latter pages and misunderstood.

I know people do make it work, and I don't know how they do it either. My guess is most of them don't do it by choice.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:42 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Actually I've been there and done that the first time I moved to Germany. After finding out that public transportation isn't even remotely as good as its reputation even in major cities I ended up getting a vehicle after about one year.

But back to the problems of OP, if it's a matter of solving the transportation problem, where there is a will there is a way.

Being green with ACTR | Addison County Transit Resources

Connecting Commuters in Vermont | Go Vermont

On the other hand if it is a matter of making sure to avoid living in places that are not exactly like what you're used to, none of us should ever move.
OK, let me try to tone it down a become a little less snide. IF she moves to downtown Middlebury, about 17 miles away, there will be grocery store and pharmacy and she could commute to work. That's a different ballgame from the OP question.

But your problem with me was that little I said could be relevant to her moving from the UK to a small, isolated town in Vermont, because I now live 3,000 miles away. So my experience of small towns in New England and my friendships with English people and Vermonters means nothing.

But now I'd like to ask you ..... where did you find those bus schedules? Was that only information that you as a current Vermont resident could have found out, or was it on the internet where a guy 3,000 miles away could have also found it with the same diligent googling?

In other words, it wasn't something on the top of your head that you as a Vermonter know ..... you didn't know it until you used a universally available search tool.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:48 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,374,418 times
Actually I am familiar with some of the buses that are used in the region since I see them when I am traveling myself. But Woof you are absolutely correct, I do not have all the bus schedules for Vermont and New Hampshire memorized. That is not however going to stop me from providing information to OP which she may or may not have found on her own and which might aid her in her decision.

Perhaps you missed it, but someone who moved to Vermont from the UK and who therefore has a great deal of credibility on this particular thread came out early on and suggested Middlebury. OP then brought up Burlington. You will note that both Middlebury and Burlington are on the route that serves Vergennes. Woof atop Mt Shasta (which is not in Vermont) then felt compelled to voice the opinion that there are no livable cities in southern Vermont (last time I looked, Vergennes was in the north), ruled out Rutland (which was not under consideration anyway) and suggested Brattleboro VT, Portsmouth NH and Boston MA. None of these cities are within reasonable commuting distance of Vergennes, as even someone 3000 miles away could have figured out with the use of a simple internet search.

Frankly my posting the bus schedule which would be relevant to OP's particular situation was an attempt to get it back on topic and provide information useful to her decision as opposed to continiung with this "I'm not a doctor but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn once" silliness. Which by the way I am done with responding to.

Last edited by FrugalYankee; 09-06-2011 at 04:57 PM..

Old 09-07-2011, 02:37 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,028 times
I was hoping I'd come back here and find that you had provided an honest post admitting that what I said was helpful in affirming what others had said, that it was a very poor career and life choice.

But no .... you continue to bring up my mistake in generalizing that Vermont isn't a good place for most people to relocate to ...... which is true, but it's a great place if one is used to a rural life, has friends or family in the village one moves to (advice I give to everyone everywhere), and if one can tolerate a long, snowy, muddy, and very cold winter without a lot of sunny days.

To bring that up twice without mentioning that I had addressed it and admitted it to be a mistake, is ungracious and a debate tactic without concern for the truth of the matter.

By the way, I DID notice someone talking about Middlebury, but had dismissed it at first because of the long commute. I've used rural buses extensively in the past, and I know that 17 miles each way is a long commute what with all the stops. This is knowledge that bus riders everywhere would know, but a car driver from Vermont might NOT know. Later, I reconsidered ..... it's do-able but not good, and the whole matter is still a poor choice for someone with the OP's background.

You're trying to defeat me in debate: you have little concern for the OP's predicament. Your parochialism and cliquishness do you no credit.

Often I drop in a forum where I've truly never lived and yet still give good advice, due to my use of the New Posts feature. Recently I saw a woman concerned about her teenage daughter in moving from Houston to Colorado. Was there anything she should know? Because of my knowledge of human nature, I added to the discussion by warning her that her daughter might encounter a little ribbing from other students because Southern accents can seem a bit funny in other areas (something I saw especially in Northamton MA). It's not a huge important point, but something good to be forewarned about, because changing schools and moving to another state can be traumatic for kids as well as adults.

The other posters in the thread didn't jump all over me for having the presumption to offer that opinion even though I'd never set foot in either Houston or Grand Junction. Someone else made a comment, the OP responded briefly and graciously, and life went on without anyone getting flamed.

That's what good manners are all about.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:40 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,266,228 times
People - please. Enough bickering. Or this thread will be closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont