U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 09:38 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,046,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMountainMan View Post
Typically, the hiigher up on the mountain you live, the cheaper the rent and mortgage is, compared to if you lived down in the valley. And in southern vermont anyway, it is a very huge DAV military population.

And being DAV members are on a fix income, they choose to live higher up because it is cheaper. Sure you have to drive further to get to stores that are in the valley, but the trade off is you have more land and more quietness.

I live on the high end of town outside of the valley. I rather have my acres of land and quietness then live in the valley in small houses with no yard, packed together like sardines.

Far as the damage.....that was no media hype. Southern Vermont got destroyed by Irene. Many houses, independent businessess and private farmers got wiped out and won't be replaced at all because majority of them didn't have flood insurance.

Some of the highways are finally opening back up. Route 2 and Route 9 are still closed. They finally replaced our water main today so now we FINALLY have water again. National guard did an excellent job airlifting food and water to these southern towns. Walmart donated several pallet loads of cases of water too.

All in all Vermonters stuck together and HELPPED each other. People who owned hummers and big pick up trucks risked their own lives riding through the back roads through severall feet of water getting supplies for the community from New York and Mass.

I lived in northwest Indiana when it flooded years ago. People out there didn't help nobody but themselves.

So one thing I can say about Vermont people is that they help and look out for each other. Everybody became one.
You're right. It was heartwarming to see how many people came out to help their neighbors. My daughter and I went into Waterbury today to deliver some clothes and food and to volunteer. They didn't need us to volunteer b/c 1,000 people showed up Saturday and Sunday. They couldn't take the clothes b/c there was no room with all the stuff people had dropped off. And, the food shelf is already restocked although they are taking small donations of non-perishables and the Salvation Army (set up at the Catholic church) is taking garden produce for the meals they're preparing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 01:04 PM

2,186 posts, read 5,984,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Lots of great pics, some have incorrect captions however.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:43 PM

986 posts, read 2,027,794 times
Looks like Phish will be headlining a benefit on Sept 14. I wish I could attend.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:38 PM

3,328 posts, read 8,770,254 times
amazing pics of Rutland County
Flood Damage West Bridgewater

Old 09-07-2011, 04:51 PM

13 posts, read 16,726 times
Default Wilmington, Vermont area Hurricane Irene

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?

Old 09-08-2011, 05:56 AM

3,328 posts, read 8,770,254 times
Mendon:
Another hurdle along the path home in Mendon - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

Old 09-08-2011, 06:24 AM

1,822 posts, read 4,523,232 times

Thank you for this. The "Wood Chip Parkway" is where we're volunteering this week.

Yesterday I brought a carload of vegan and gluten-free food and pet food to the Chittenden Fire Department. They'll bring it to Pittsfield, Stockbridge, and Rochester, where those items are in high demand. Vegan food manufacturers/distributors I called are sending cases there as well.

Here are fascinating narratives:
Green Energy Times Rte 100 Corridor: before & after the Hurricane

Old 09-08-2011, 08:01 PM

1,822 posts, read 4,523,232 times
Volunteering today on the Wood Chip Parkway. Quite a sight. I was on the Helvi Hill Road side for a while, then at Journey's End. I tallied over 300 people traveling both directions in under three hours. Another volunteer counted over 2,000 people one day.

Lots of pick-up-and-drop-off. Kids arriving after a soccer game. A woman who cleaned hotel rooms returning to her Rutland home. A contractor with vehicles stashed on both sides of destroyed Route 4, working his business in Rutland and in Mendon/Killington. The Bus was there twice, two buses full of people. Most walked the 1/2-mile trail; some took the golf cart shuttle we offered. Many were exhausted, carrying children and/or heavy bags..

It was about as "normal" as an abnormal situation like this gets. Folks were friendly, stopping to chat with the volunteers. Many thanked us
Attached Thumbnails
Vermonters hit hard by hurricane-090811-wood-chip-parkway-mendon.jpg  

Old 09-09-2011, 06:16 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,462,225 times
I don't know if I can agree w/you Harry....I am in southern Vermont, it is horrible, I am not yet home. My own road has completely washed out, gone, done, fini. The road I have to take to get to my gone road has been 131 and that was devastated. There are other areas w/in Cavendish & Ludlow that continue to have no way in nor out; there is a portion of Route 106 that is simply gone, the only portion of the road remaining is approximately 12" on either side of the painted white line, the rest of the road is gone into the Black River.

Two days ago there was a convoy of trucks from the Department of Transportion of Maine - they have been amazing. So has the National Guard, and the Army Corp of Engineers and FEMA has been terrific, fast, responsive and caring.

Think about Quechee, devastated -- its bridges, gone; Northfield was hit; Vermont Law School area has losses; I was coming back from Rutland today, had to take a detour or two and went past a farm, it was tragic and devastating to see all of the damage to those meadows, fields, acres and acres and acres of corn -

I think it is pretty fair to say that Vermont, especially south-central Vermont was devastated.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:52 PM

2,186 posts, read 5,984,137 times
Rt 9 from Benn to Bratt has just opened. Rt 4 will open hopefully next weekend. This is good news and the result of alot of hard work. There are many other roads still in disrepair in many places around the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont