U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 05:42 AM

6,557 posts, read 10,846,462 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Hope all here are doing ok after Irene. Here in Va we got slammed in places but I do believe you all were hit even harder. I was planning on leaving either next week or the week after for a 2 week motorcycle ride into New England and I want to spend a few days in VT. Should I keep these plans or would road closures make this ride difficult? I don't want to add to the traffic headaches unnecessarily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 05:45 AM

3,328 posts, read 8,766,227 times
If you stick to northern VT you should be fine.
Avoid Route 4, Route 9, and Route 100 south of Waterbury all the way to the MA border.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:47 AM

14,383 posts, read 17,245,424 times
I have reservations for a motel in South Burlington for the first week of October. While I could certainly confine our sightseeing/leaf peeping to the area north of Burlington, I would really like to be able to include Route 100, south of Waterbury. I know that nobody knows for sure at this point, but really I hope that a month will be sufficient for that road to be repaired!

I know that relieving the misery of those displaced from their homes is the first priority, but I hope that the "powers that be" take the importance of tourism into account when making plans for repairs. Those tourist dollars will be necessary to help finance all of the needed repairs!

Old 08-31-2011, 10:58 AM

Keep your eye on this website as your trip nears (re: road conditions)
Vermont AOT Travel Information

Old 08-31-2011, 02:09 PM

6,557 posts, read 10,846,462 times
Thanks

Old 09-01-2011, 06:26 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,057,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I have reservations for a motel in South Burlington for the first week of October. While I could certainly confine our sightseeing/leaf peeping to the area north of Burlington, I would really like to be able to include Route 100, south of Waterbury. I know that nobody knows for sure at this point, but really I hope that a month will be sufficient for that road to be repaired!

I know that relieving the misery of those displaced from their homes is the first priority, but I hope that the "powers that be" take the importance of tourism into account when making plans for repairs. Those tourist dollars will be necessary to help finance all of the needed repairs!
I was just watching the morning news and the reports are flooding in now. There is no guarantee when roads will be repaired. There are several issues the state is trying to address. The first is that in some areas, it does not even look like a road ever existed. The roads and road beds are gone. The other big issues is the resources to pay for the repair work. The report this morning stated that the funds are not there to do all the work needed. Some areas (no specifics given) may not have roads back for months if not years. We took Rt 100 north to Newport on Tuesday and the road was horrible in some sections. You could get through, but they were rough and very bumpy.

The tourism industry is taking a hit already. They were talking about many of the bed and breakfasts have had many or all of their reservations cancelled.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:12 AM

3,079 posts, read 3,709,741 times
The state is acutely aware of the possible negative impact on tourism, as we are coming up on the prime time of the year for visitors.

The official Vermont tourism website is providing current information on the state of roads, towns and hospitality services through a website and also a toll-free phone number:

http://www.vermontvacation.com/

They also have links to off-Vermont sites such as Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/VermontTourism

so anyone checking in from out-of-state should have no trouble finding out where to travel that will not present a hardship.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:58 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,057,353 times
While the Vermont Transportation map is very useful, it does not show every road and bridge that are closed. We discovered this in the last few days. There were over 260 roads and bridges that were closed due to the storm and the map did not include many or in fact most of them. I think it covers the main roads well, but many side or secondary roads are not listed. This is important for tourists because many if not most B&Bs are not located on main roads as well as sites for foliage viewing, etc.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:58 PM

16,936 posts, read 22,211,257 times
The NEK would be a good place to visit, it wasn't hit too hard mostly. Southern Vermont in some places is like a warzone. If you want some nice foliage, the wilderness in the unorganized towns/gores (not far from Island Pond) is quite stunning...

Old 09-01-2011, 01:14 PM

Route 7 is OK. There are a couple detours - one on the south side of Rutland and the other around Brandon. From what I understand Route 7 in Brandon may open tomorrow but not 100% positive. So come on up and visit western VT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont