Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 04:25 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,956,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Here is a couple of shots of Montpelier in the winter.

The gristmill on North Branch of the Winooski off Elm St about 1/4m north of the roundabout.
http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album33/MontGrstMill.jpg (broken link)

http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album33/moonmontpeler.jpg (broken link)
Wow that town shot is just amazing!!! Beautiful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 02:16 PM

74 posts, read 348,117 times
"I also think that the State House lawn provides a great open space. I think it gives Montpelier what the waterfront or Church Street gives Burlington."

68vette (who wrote the above quote) and anyone else who wants to respond,

I am struggling with the Burlington vs. Montpelier thing. I love Burlington, and can see myself living in that area (in one of the towns just outside of it to try to find a bit less expensive apt.). I will be relocating from NYC, am 40 years old and single (divorced) with my dog, and sincerely looking for a change in lifestyle that includes more "green" and closer mountains for hiking (with my dog). I fall in love with Vermont more each time I go there now, even the smaller towns, but have been focusing on Burlington area b/c of its size and having more things to do since I am on my own. Montpelier is beautiful and does have things to do, too, I know, but just not as much and in a much smaller scale. The more I see and learn about each of them (Burlington vs. Montpelier), the more confused I seem to be getting. Yes, it will all come down to where I can get a job, but I feel I need to focus on one general area (e.g., Burlington and entire surrounding area). Are either significantly cheaper, more dog-friendly, easier access to hiking, closer to museums, music, etc.?? ANY thoughts and opinions would be so greatly appreciated - I'm just too confused right now!! (I've even tried the paper list of "pros" vs. "cons" as well as "which feels right" but still can't decide)!

Old 08-29-2007, 04:56 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,823,244 times
You know you can move to one and if you don't like it you can move to the other. Sure it's a hassle to move but if your stessing about making the choice it's the third option.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:53 PM

10 posts, read 31,879 times
Montpelier is a beautiful town. Can anyone tell me what kind of ride it is from Montpelier to South Burlington in winter and if its doable on a daily basis? Thanks.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:35 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,265,518 times
Tons of people do that commute on a daily basis. It's a little over a half an hour, all interstate driving. There is one stretch of the interstate known as "Bolton Flats" that during the winter can be a bit treacherous - it's flat and relatively "open", so the wind whips through there creating drifts, ice, etc. Just go easy and take your time and you'll be fine.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:14 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,823,244 times
Vter is right on about Bolton Flats just want to add it depends on which South Burlington your talking about. There also times which traffic can severly increase your travel time. When I lived in Montpelier and drove to Burlington I picked the wrong time( don't think about that much from my perspective) and it was gridlock to get into town, also on Rt 7 in South Burlington, and Rt 2 between Taft Corners and downtown can get backed up but anyone that lives there figures that out pretty quickly. It's about 35 miles so if all the varibles are working it can take about 30 to 45min, depending on exactly where your headed.

Regarding driving in the winter just have the best tires you can afford, have a good vehicle and as Vter said, slow down. If you have to be somewhere at a certain time then you need to give yourself extra time in case the road are dicey. I communted for 2 years from Montpelier to Warren, about 25 miles. Had a few exciting moments but nothing serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont