U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 07:03 AM

1,475 posts, read 3,671,985 times

Advertisements

I am in the market for a Forrester now. Need it for the uphill driveway.

A word about at least some of the new Subarus. The 20011 Impreza
gets gas mpg 20/27. The 2012 will get 27/36, and get this, the price will be the same as 2011. They changed this model after only one year. Car makers are very serious about getting better gas mileage. Similar to the 1973.74 era when cars were built for fuel fuel efficiency due to escalating gas prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 08:26 AM

5,439 posts, read 14,788,437 times
what do you think they did to get that better mpg?

We have had an 05 Outback for about a year and my biggest complaint is that it consumes oil at least 1qt per 3k miles I'd say. The exhaust is clear and it seems to run great. I heard someone say it could be because I do a lot of high rev engine braking. The overhead clearance for the driver is also not that great. We bought it with like 96k and now have 110k. It drives and handles well, and the AWD system is great. I hope to run it to at least 200k - hoping 9 more years out of it if we can get our mileage down once we are in VT full time (hoping EOY 2011!)

Had a Jetta TDI (TDI concentration also a VT thing I think) but I don't think it would have made it through our road in mud season but it was only bad for 1 day. Also would have been rough on the -20F cold starts. Otherwise we just needed the room but a good reliable car.

if you look at some of the AWD system tests... I do believe the subaru beats most other systems. Not sure about Subaru vs Audi but I think Subaru will out perform most others. This could mean staying in the road vs being in the ditch .

Old 09-18-2011, 09:16 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,101,754 times
Funny, there's a similar discussion of this right now on the Colorado forum. Must be the time of year. Seems the Subaru is the vehicle of choice in those parts. The debate though is whether the new ones are as good as the old due to AWD vs. having a low gear. Not sure I got that right as I'm not a Subaru person but if you're interested you might take a trip over to that one.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:33 PM

4,953 posts, read 7,884,821 times
Souns like Missoula, Mt. You had not really "arrived" in Missoula until you had your Subaru Outback or Forester with the cargo container on top. Presumably, this was to hold all your ski gear for all that great white-powder, leisure time you had, between working 9-5 and shopping at Wal-mart.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:25 AM

21 posts, read 46,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Souns like Missoula, Mt. You had not really "arrived" in Missoula until you had your Subaru Outback or Forester with the cargo container on top. Presumably, this was to hold all your ski gear for all that great white-powder, leisure time you had, between working 9-5 and shopping at Wal-mart.
ha ha, good point, same here in Oregon-- no jobs or always working and no time for backpacking or skiing on the Hood--great thing i m a park ranger or i would have missed the entire summer in the mountains

Old 09-19-2011, 02:26 AM

21 posts, read 46,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Funny, there's a similar discussion of this right now on the Colorado forum. Must be the time of year. Seems the Subaru is the vehicle of choice in those parts. The debate though is whether the new ones are as good as the old due to AWD vs. having a low gear. Not sure I got that right as I'm not a Subaru person but if you're interested you might take a trip over to that one.
so i think i should get my wife a suburu legacy over a volvo 240? thinking of moving back to vt

Old 09-19-2011, 07:11 AM

5,774 posts, read 12,324,863 times
240s are so inexpensive these days you could buy her both.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:23 AM

2,186 posts, read 5,995,235 times
I have a 2000 Outback, it just works well for snowy roads and plenty of room for family stuff and outdoor gear. Obviously it has nothing to do with ones political leaning. BTW I have never put in a quart oil, I do get the oil changed every 5000 miles. I had pick-ups but don't need them for work anymore so Subies are a good compromise.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:40 AM

1,442 posts, read 5,907,601 times
When I get a new car, I plan to get a Subaru. But since my old Nissan still runs nicely, at least for now, I'm not in a hurry.

I was waiting until they made a hybrid Subaru, but I don't think that will happen in the near future. I hope I'm wrong on that one, though. But it's nice that Subaru's gas mileage is improving.

Which Subaru is best in the snow? Or are they all the same? I see more Outbacks and Foresters than any other Subaru. I'm seeing, I think, more and more Imprezas and Legacys but there are not nearly as many of them as Foresters and Outbacks. Is this just a matter of storage capacity, or are there really differences in snow traction?

I rarely see a Tribeca.

BTW, I used to own a wonderful little Subaru GL hatchback. It had on-demand 4WD, which has its advantages and dsadvantages. But the car did feel a lot more secure on snowy roads with the 4WD on. Part of that may have been psychological, but the feel of the road did feel different.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:24 AM

400 posts, read 727,045 times
While its true a lot of Subaru drivers are likely liberal, especially in a liberal state, I'm not sure that really has much to do with it. As you may know, Vermont roads are horrendous and their plowing even more so. So residents are on their own when it comes to going about their day to day activities during the winter. Maybe people respond to this by buying a 4x4 pickup truck but given their gas mileage and passenger capacity issues those aren't the ideal choice for many people.

Here's the real secret to Subaru's popularity IMO: Compare prices on AWD wagons that actually exist. You're looking at Subaru, Volvo and Audi. I'm sure Mercedes makes something too most likely. The wagon has more or less been abandoned by all automakers besides Subaru and some more expensive luxury brands. I think VW makes a wagon still but I'm not sure its AWD and VW is not a brand known for being cheap either. Basically, if you want a wagon and even just might want AWD with it your choices are Subaru, spend a lot more money for a luxury car or buy a small SUV instead.

Subaru's cars have gotten more SUV like as of late (particularly the Forester) but they sell wagons and hatchbacks that are good in the snow for less than others. It also seems like everyone but Subaru has forgotten that ground clearance matters in the snow and have dropped their cars to bottom-out-tastic levels.

At least that is my opinion as a recent convert. I looked at small SUVs in my price range and coming from a car they all felt pointlessly high while also having ground clearance figures worse than my current FWD sedan. Subaru wasn't first on my list but after I sat in an Outback I lost interest in the other offerings I had on my list.

Other automakers are moving back into the wagon arena a bit these days, calling them crossovers because most Americans don't want to admit they want to own a station wagon. But they've ignored the market for a couple of decades leaving Subaru to eat most of it up. Things might change in the future but I don't feel like Subaru has a true competitor for some of its cars.

To answer a question about the gas mileage improvement: They're installing CVT transmissions now instead of the (frankly now horribly outdated) 4 speed auto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or