U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 02:06 PM

1,442 posts, read 5,897,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
I've read online that Subaru has been experimenting with hybrid concept cars, and plans a hybrid for 2103. I don't know if it the hybrid will be available in the US or if the hybrid engine will be restricted to one particular model, or perhaps to a new model altogether.

At the same time, it may be better to avoid a new model for the first year, and wait until the manufacturer get the kinks out.

A hybrid AWD could be a Vermonter's dream!

The 2012 Imprezas are reported to have much improved gas mileage, but I don't think they are available here yet. At least I don't see any on the local dealership's website.

I meant 2013!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 02:07 PM

1,475 posts, read 3,663,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
We have two. Including one with 200,000 miles and you're right. No problem getting up our steep, curvy driveway in a foot of snow.

But I do love Subarus. My dream car is a green Subaru Forester. Hubby thinks they're overpriced, however, so not likely to buy one anytime soon.
we have a 99 crv with 215k. gets us up the uphill curvy driveway every time.

we also have an 01 Ford Taurus big problem on the driveway. we are getting rid of it this week because winters around here are hard enough
with out a fwd car stuck, turned sideways, halfway up the driveway.

We may get a Forrester, but it has an antiquated 4 sp automatic. Kind of boring to drive. The passenger is seated way too low in front of dashboard.
I can't see the road from the driver position, front is too high.

The Kia Sportage is nice but has bad sight lines out the back with the tiny window. More fun to drive than the Forrester. KIas are now pretty expensive though.

As for the new CRV - I don't like the looks and the ground clearance actually looks lower than my 99.

Toyota RAV4? Why isn't anyone talking about them. Are they as good in the snow?

I wish honda never changed the 99 crv model. it was perfect.

no clear cut winner for me and I want a new car within two weeks.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:45 PM

5,773 posts, read 12,296,293 times
I liked that model of CRV too. My neighbor has a new one with the rounded windows. It's black with tinted glass. It looks like a hearse for short people.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
I liked that model of CRV too. My neighbor has a new one with the rounded windows. It's black with tinted glass. It looks like a hearse for short people.
I definitely miss the large rectangular rear windows like in old volvos and subarus. . the small, high rear windows look sleek, but I can imagine getting into an accident due to poor visibility

Old 09-24-2011, 07:55 PM

5,773 posts, read 12,296,293 times
I think your insurance company would agree. We have two Volvo wagons and they have lots of glass. My Ford Ranger is the tough one to back up sometimes as it came with dark tint on the rear windows.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:40 AM

400 posts, read 724,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
we have a 99 crv with 215k. gets us up the uphill curvy driveway every time.

we also have an 01 Ford Taurus big problem on the driveway. we are getting rid of it this week because winters around here are hard enough
with out a fwd car stuck, turned sideways, halfway up the driveway.

We may get a Forrester, but it has an antiquated 4 sp automatic. Kind of boring to drive. The passenger is seated way too low in front of dashboard.
I can't see the road from the driver position, front is too high.

The Kia Sportage is nice but has bad sight lines out the back with the tiny window. More fun to drive than the Forrester. KIas are now pretty expensive though.

As for the new CRV - I don't like the looks and the ground clearance actually looks lower than my 99.

Toyota RAV4? Why isn't anyone talking about them. Are they as good in the snow?

I wish honda never changed the 99 crv model. it was perfect.

no clear cut winner for me and I want a new car within two weeks.
Yeah, I liked the older CRVs too. I know it was just a car frame but it had a kind of mini jeep look to it. Honestly, I didn't even look at the new ones when were shopping. Looks aren't huge for me but I find that thing hideous.

I agree with you on the sportage. I thought it was a pretty nice ride but the ground clearance wasn't great and that rear window did seem small. The outback is smaller than I'd like there as well but its better. The real kicker is while its rated gas mileage seemed competitive its user reported seemed not that great.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:16 PM

12,411 posts, read 16,429,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
I meant 2013!
I figured. Thanks for the info.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_jimerino View Post
Yeah, I liked the older CRVs too. I know it was just a car frame but it had a kind of mini jeep look to it. Honestly, I didn't even look at the new ones when were shopping. Looks aren't huge for me but I find that thing hideous.

I agree with you on the sportage. I thought it was a pretty nice ride but the ground clearance wasn't great and that rear window did seem small. The outback is smaller than I'd like there as well but its better. The real kicker is while its rated gas mileage seemed competitive its user reported seemed not that great.
I parked my 99 crv next to a new crv today and my clearance was considerably higher. The new crv is almost a small suv/minivan hybrid.
I'll probably get a Forrester or RAV4.

Why doesn't anyone talk about the RAv4 here? It's clearance is a little
higher than most.

If the Forrester had a new 6 speed automatic I'd go for it hands down. I suspect it have one will in the 2013 model, but I can't wait.

I'm not in love with any of them to be honest.

And another thing. It seems like no one is going with darker green anymore. I remember this happened in the mid 90's as well.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:47 PM

3 posts, read 3,828 times
You need a Subaru and a Thule rack on top, perhaps a kayak- You're good to go!

Old 09-26-2011, 07:20 AM

400 posts, read 724,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I parked my 99 crv next to a new crv today and my clearance was considerably higher. The new crv is almost a small suv/minivan hybrid.
I'll probably get a Forrester or RAV4.

Why doesn't anyone talk about the RAv4 here? It's clearance is a little
higher than most.

If the Forrester had a new 6 speed automatic I'd go for it hands down. I suspect it have one will in the 2013 model, but I can't wait.

I'm not in love with any of them to be honest.

And another thing. It seems like no one is going with darker green anymore. I remember this happened in the mid 90's as well.
I actually just really hate the local Toyota dealership so that's kind of why I don't talk about them. RAV4 seems less popular than the CRV to me...but maybe that's just because the ugly CRV sticks out more.

I'm sure the Forrester will be getting the CVT on the next redesign. The 4-speed is just lame at this point. I'm seeing auto makers putting 6 speeds in things pretty often these days, a 5 speed would start to be feeling old versus competitors these days but they still have the 4 speed?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or