U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2006, 07:51 AM

38 posts, read 107,078 times

Advertisements

I'm new to this forum. I'll be moving up to East Thetford soon, and hope to get a job at either Dartmouth or DHMC. I have always wanted to sample living in the Upper Valley. I had been looking for rentals in NH towns only (ludicrously high rents) until someone told me that I should include VT towns in my search as the rents are more affordable. I did, for the most part, find this to be true - though I'll be paying income tax. I'm a NH resident, and when I tell people I'm going to be living across the river in VT, they say, get ready to pay tax on everything. This seems to be the view of VT from the NH side, taxes...and that people are generally liberal, environmentally conscious, "granola" types (just what I've heard, put in many other colorful terms).
Tell me, Vermonters, please...what you really think of this stereotype. I've always enjoyed traveling through VT because of its unspoiled beauty. I often say to NH people, VT looks the way NH should. I think NH has sold its soul to growth. But often in my VT travels I find myself thinking: where does everybody work here?? It seems to me that it's difficult for a place to retain this unspoiled beauty and still offer up the things that people need to have quality of life, good jobs, places to buy things, good schools, a good economy, etc. It just seems so hard for any place to strike that balance. I see lots of evidence of wealth in VT, beautifully maintained homes (that must be a bear to heat), BMWs, SUVs, etc. What is everyone else doing?
NH has a thriving economy, seemingly lots of jobs...but so much traffic and growth, growth, growth. In the town I live in it seems that the face of every country road in the area is being changed as more trees are cut down for building lots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont