U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2011, 11:26 AM

5,439 posts, read 14,746,800 times

Advertisements

thought this was sort of funny, but not surprising to me.

a hand written sign in VT post irene sincerely thanking VTrans for their hard work

this morning i saw a sign on my neighbor's front yard.

THANKS PSE&G... NO POWER FOR 4 DAYS AND COUNTING

NJ house should be up for sale before the end of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 02:50 PM

44 posts, read 101,121 times
That's something we've seen since leaving NJ... VT'rs sincerely thank people for helping. In NJ people expect everything to be given, and 'right now!'

I hope the liberal views up here don't whittle away the conservative 'take care of myself' mindset (accept help when needed, not a way of life). That's pretty much what happened to NJ. It seems once you take away the drive people become lazy, and blame others for things they themselves can control.

Either way, I'm happy to be away from NJ.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:11 AM

1,822 posts, read 4,521,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joffficer View Post
That's something we've seen since leaving NJ... VT'rs sincerely thank people for helping. In NJ people expect everything to be given, and 'right now!'

I hope the liberal views up here don't whittle away the conservative 'take care of myself' mindset (accept help when needed, not a way of life).
I hope you might relax such judgments of their political viewpoints. Vermont's community dedication, self help, and gratitude occur across the political spectrum. It's cultural and it's why many of us "liberals" live here.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:33 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,057,353 times
I think it depends on the situation you look at and how the situation was handled. A good example of the opposite was the situation with the Champlain Bridge. There was a fair amount of outrage when people were driving hours when the bridge came down. Last evening WCAX ran a nice segment on why our roads were fixed so fast. The state saw that the permitting process in the state was very difficult to get the job done in a quick manner. The roads were fixed in a fraction of the time the state originally estimated because they went lax on the permitting process. I think if the state carried out business as usual, there would be complaints instead of praise.
I agree that Vermont has a community dedication, but I think that is an American attribute. America is the most dedicated and giving society on the planet. We see this day in, day out when there is a natural or unnatural disaster. To generalize a whole state, county or town the opposite because of a few outspoken individuals is not a fair generalization. If it was fair, we could do the same here.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:56 AM

5,439 posts, read 14,746,800 times
this is true... it is not fair, it's just what i have personally noticed. Today i saw a comical sign with a sincere thanks. "AHHHH HEAT... THANKS PSE&G!"

Old 11-03-2011, 11:58 AM

130 posts, read 237,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
America is the most dedicated and giving society on the planet.
Seriously? That's quite a claim. How come this country doesn't have health care for everyone?

Off topic but this struck me as well...quite untrue in my experience.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:55 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,057,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippylou View Post
Seriously? That's quite a claim. How come this country doesn't have health care for everyone?

Off topic but this struck me as well...quite untrue in my experience.
This is a well know fact. Here is some data to show that. In 2006, Americans gave about $295 billion to charity. This was up 4.2 percent over 2005 levels, and charitable giving has generally risen faster than the growth of the American economy for more than half a century. Correcting for inflation and population changes, GDP per person in America has risen over the past 50 years by about 150 percent, while charitable giving per person has risen by about 190 percent. That is, the average American family has gotten much richer in real terms over the past half century, and charitable giving has more than kept pace with this trend. No developed country approaches American giving. For example, in 1995 (the most recent year for which data is available), Americans gave, per capita, three and a half times as much to causes and charities as the French, seven times as much as the Germans, and 14 times as much as the Italians. Similarly, in 1998, Americans were 15 percent more likely to volunteer their time than the Dutch, 21 percent more likely than the Swiss, and 32 percent more likely than the Germans. These differences are not attributable to demographic characteristics such as education, income, age, sex, or marital status. On the contrary, if we look at two people who are identical in all these ways except that one is European and the other American, the probability is still far lower that the European will volunteer than the American. Some of the newer data is not as reliable. Charitable givings to churches as an example were not included in the data. You can't just look at the amount donated, you have to look at the countries giving as a % of GDP. As a percentage of GDP, Americans donít just give more overall; we give proportionately more, relative to our income, than people in other countries.
Healthcare is a whole other animal. Working as a healthcare provider, we are starting to feel the repercussions of a national heath care system. It sounds great in a speech and on paper, but the final product may not be what everyone wants. I think that is why the poll numbers show the majority of Americans apposing a national system. We can't compare ourselves to most European countries with national health care because we have poorer health due to inactivity, diet, etc.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:48 PM

3,328 posts, read 8,766,227 times
Come on guys. Please keep it on topic. Thanks.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:33 PM

379 posts, read 373,058 times
NJ people are the most controlling people I've ever seen. They want control over every aspect of living. Most people here have no first hand experience with Mother Nature, so when trees take out power lines, they say "Why are there trees here"? Ummm, because trees are necessary for clean air and they grow naturally. Seems like common sense to most, but not NJ people, because they have no conception about anything except destroying trees and putting in yet another shopping center.

I'm disgusted by the way people are acting after this storm. I lost power, had no heat and CAN'T have a generator because I live in an apartment, and I'm not complaining. There are downed trees everywhere! What do people expect? I f*cking hate this state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont