U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 06:06 PM

16,786 posts, read 28,995,932 times

Advertisements

There's a couple of people further up our road who are in a yurt and living off the grid. Good for them. I'll take a few creature comforts, though. I couldn't go full bore Walden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 08:02 PM

444 posts, read 683,718 times
I've only lived in Vermont for 4 months, but I'd say, sociologically speaking, this is as good a state as any for a Walden lifestyle. Keep in mind though that Thoreau only lived at Walden Pond for 2 years and had wealthy friends and relatives to fall back on. A little realism never hurts.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:13 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,739,771 times
OP, If you want to be around like people, there's always the Twin Oaks, Virginia Intentional Community. Might be interesting to visit, you might pick up some ideas at least.

I had hoped to move and live a simple life style myself, I had thought of the upper section of the lower peninsula of Michigan or the UP, as it's not as far a trip. Did you consider those areas? I agree the people might have a different attitude there. I'd always wanted to live in Maine or Vermont, but thought Vermont would be unaffordable for me, as I'm a disabled vet and my income isn't so much.

That drafty plains farm house mentioned, I live in one of them now...lol Good luck on finding your own version of Walden. Interesting thread, thanks.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:37 PM

4 posts, read 17,008 times
Thank you all for your ideas and information. We would be the family living in a trailer or yurt to build a home first. We're artisans and nature lovers.

The northern part of lower Michigan is on the list. Land is reasonable, and the climate is milder then upper Vermont. The people are more provincial than what I'm looking for. We have considered eco communities,and ruled them out for the same reason we ruled out suburbs.

Admittedly, it's difficult to find these days. It seems living a simple lifestyle is getting harder and harder to do. You're either a city dweller, suburbanite or farmer. Finding a few acres with minimal codes or restrictions with open-minded, forward-thinking people has been challenging.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:42 AM

4,581 posts, read 4,709,940 times
You think UP winters are milder than upper Vt ? Interesting. Look at northern Maine cause for the most part they don't care what you do up there. Vermont officals will be crawling all over you if you try living off of the grid & they can't squeeze a buck out of you

Old 12-26-2011, 08:39 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,120,342 times
Admittedly, it's difficult to find these days. It seems living a simple lifestyle is getting harder and harder to do. You're either a city dweller, suburbanite or farmer. Finding a few acres with minimal codes or restrictions with open-minded, forward-thinking people has been challenging.

Is this what was called "homesteading" in the past ?

Old 12-26-2011, 10:18 AM

5,439 posts, read 14,742,061 times
What is to stop you from living in a "camp" in VT full time? Just out of curiosity.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:45 AM

16,935 posts, read 22,198,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
What is to stop you from living in a "camp" in VT full time? Just out of curiosity.
If it was built under the "primitive camp" exemption in the septic permit laws, there's restrictions on how many days a year you can be in it. Not a problem when you have no one being nosey, but in much of the state there's enough intrusive yuppies to cause problems and bring in the state...

Old 12-26-2011, 10:58 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,739,771 times
I really don't care so much about having like people around as I do finding a house on enough land and cheap. Ya never know for sure either, those claiming to want some similar type of lifestyle could end up being nosy and bothersome. I was just looking around on realtor.com, I saw a cute house on 10 acres for 35k. It needed a bit of freshening up but looked good for the money. It was near Ellsworth, Michigan. I don't know how far that is from you now? There is something to be said for being familiar with the area. I agree, the upper part of Maine might work for you. There were some lower cost properties on land up there, some needed work. I would ideally like to have like minded people around too, but factor that in and I think it would make my search harder. I'm friendly, but not fond of uninvited guests, I like my privacy. People will probably think we are nuts anyway, well some would. Intrusive yuppies, now there's a virus that needs a cure.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:32 AM

4,982 posts, read 5,044,573 times
Last time I checked (2 years ago) one could buy a "move in ready" house on 30 acres for less than 90k, just 80 miles north of Grand Rapids. With all those foreclosures on the market, I'm sure you can find something even cheaper than that, especially in the remote areas. Personally, I would go with the area suitable for your homesteading needs first and people (more exactly stereotype of the people as you perceive it) second. Let's face it, you'll not find a livable community of the "like minded" "progressive" people anywhere in the continental USA, including Vermont, it's sprawl and "dispersion", but you may find a like minded person within a driving distance even in the heart of the Bible Belt. What you might not find within a driving distance is - good soils, plenty of water, reasonable growing season, public lands, not yuppified, not uber regulated, not touristy&trendy, reasonable taxes, affordable land prices, jobs (last but not the least). Of course, if you need continuous external affirmation of your homesteading desires along the lines - "You are not a loser for wanting simpler life, it's not an admission of rat race defeat and inferior genetic make up, etc." than you might not be ready for homesteading, Vermont or Michigan.

Personally, Vermont is a questionable choice for an out of state, not independently wealthy (I guess) wanna be homesteader. Vermont is definitely trendy with upscale crowd, it's expensive, climate & soils are less than friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or