Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2011, 11:55 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,007 times

Advertisements

I know this might sound like a venue to toot my own kid's horn, it is not. It is a different perspective on all the negativity surrounding VT's cost of living.

My daughter, that just turned 21 last week, is moving out to her own place on Christmas. Yes, she only brings home $275 a week but was hired this year by an old VT company that only uses temps. They "hired" on 3 people this year after 600 temp hours. The company only uses temps(which I thought deplorable) until my daughter told me how they all quit after 2 weeks, or got instantly hurt after hire. Full benefits, paid holidays, sick days, vacations, health,dental,vision. I didn't know it existed in the US much less VT. She took college computer classes in high school and is a whiz, but prefers her older "family" that she works with and even gets to work at 4:15 am just to hang with her beloved people until 5am. So, 4 ten grueling hour days and volunteers for the 5th day if available. She has her newer car, 6 month emergency stash and is living within her means. Sure, she'd like the bf to move in but doesn't expect or need it. We've done extensive budgets on paper. She just realized that the weekly paycheck was enhanced by an extra week five times a year! Yay...now she can have basic cable! And no, she is not moving to a dive. A super cute renovated 430 sq ft apt above some grandparents only 1 mile from work!

So, a hardworking person can still be part of the American dream in making steps to make it here in super expensive VT. Be realistic or leave is my explanation. I tried to get her to go back to TX, but she loves her "old ladies" at work. For now this is the first step but at least it's being made while all her other friends are busy griping about lack of jobs or cost of housing in VT

Explore all options since it really isn't easier anywhere else. Sure the grass is always greener but why not fertilize your own lawn? Pay your dues. I sold 2 businesses to move up and now work 62-74 hours a week because I love what I do. People quit all the time or else I wouldn't have those hours. I make a difference and am fortunate.

So, that is my take from the "financially difficult" way Northeast Kingdom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 12:59 PM

35 posts, read 87,664 times
Great story! I could really identify with your story as you come across as purely human. Your daughter comes across as human. This is what makes life worth it. Hearing about and seeing people who are not rich, not well off, but make life a happy event. They just want to work hard and play hard, and hopefully, at some point, to get ahead a little and be comfortable.

My family is looking at moving either to Vermont or Maine at this point in a few months. We are looking for a change from the south. We want four seasons, clean air, etc.

Again, great story! Keep it up!

Old 12-07-2011, 03:57 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
I know this might sound like a venue to toot my own kid's horn, it is not. It is a different perspective on all the negativity surrounding VT's cost of living.

My daughter, that just turned 21 last week, is moving out to her own place on Christmas. Yes, she only brings home $275 a week but was hired this year by an old VT company that only uses temps. They "hired" on 3 people this year after 600 temp hours. The company only uses temps(which I thought deplorable) until my daughter told me how they all quit after 2 weeks, or got instantly hurt after hire. Full benefits, paid holidays, sick days, vacations, health,dental,vision. I didn't know it existed in the US much less VT. She took college computer classes in high school and is a whiz, but prefers her older "family" that she works with and even gets to work at 4:15 am just to hang with her beloved people until 5am. So, 4 ten grueling hour days and volunteers for the 5th day if available. She has her newer car, 6 month emergency stash and is living within her means. Sure, she'd like the bf to move in but doesn't expect or need it. We've done extensive budgets on paper. She just realized that the weekly paycheck was enhanced by an extra week five times a year! Yay...now she can have basic cable! And no, she is not moving to a dive. A super cute renovated 430 sq ft apt above some grandparents only 1 mile from work!

So, a hardworking person can still be part of the American dream in making steps to make it here in super expensive VT. Be realistic or leave is my explanation. I tried to get her to go back to TX, but she loves her "old ladies" at work. For now this is the first step but at least it's being made while all her other friends are busy griping about lack of jobs or cost of housing in VT

Explore all options since it really isn't easier anywhere else. Sure the grass is always greener but why not fertilize your own lawn? Pay your dues. I sold 2 businesses to move up and now work 62-74 hours a week because I love what I do. People quit all the time or else I wouldn't have those hours. I make a difference and am fortunate.

So, that is my take from the "financially difficult" way Northeast Kingdom.
Thats fantastic. Thanks for sharing your experience. Anything is possible.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:04 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,935,813 times
You raised her well. Kudos to both of you!

Old 12-07-2011, 07:19 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,846 times
Vermont needs more people like your daughter. She sounds like a true hard-working, self-reliant woman. And, obviously you've taught her to manage her money well and live below her means. Kudos to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont