U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 11:51 AM

944 posts, read 3,628,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asalligo View Post
My Current State
Florida...
Anyone who tells you that Vermont isn't a LOT safer than Florida is simply not aware of the real difference. HOWEVER, there is a major problem with Florida and Nevada stats more than most other places. That is, tourism. On any given day the population of Florida might be a million higher than what the stats show because there are so many tourists there. Crime is reported as a real number, population is reported as a lower then reality number, so it makes your crime rate look a bit worse than it is. But aside from that, Florida has WAY more crime than Vermont.

Like I posted earlier in this thread, VT does have a dark side. It's a mountain state with a lot of old poverty, it's not all just pretty farms and people milking cows or wearing Birkenstocks as they churn out Ben & Jerry's ice cream. There are some serious rednecks and some deep backwoods people there, mired in generations of poverty and substance abuse. You can't escape that anywhere in the USA unless you're very wealthy and can afford to wall yourself off from the world in an enclave like Palm Beach or Aspen.

And always remember --- no matter how much you try to protect yourself from what you fear in others, the most likely cause of your own death will be YOU. Whether it's a careless moment of driving, a diet of burgers and fries, chain-smoking, or being a couch potato, most of us will be responsible for our cause of death. Or, as Pogo said, "We have met the enemy, and he is us!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2006, 03:16 PM

100 posts, read 351,878 times
I believe the crime rate in VT is lower than NH. Probably one of the safest states on the east coast.
Unfortunately whenever there is one horrific crime here it makes the national news.
What i have learned is that it is very safe here BUT you still need to be safe and not think that it is crime free, cause it is not.
I'd google it and see what stats you come up with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont