Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 07:26 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,509 times

Advertisements

To keep the younger generation in the state you need to have job opportunities available to them. I looked into relocating to Vermont but employment was going to be a big problem. Besides jobs there has to be some forms of entertainment or things of interest to do in their free time. I did relocate to a farming area however there are major cities less than two hours away such as Philadelphia, Baltimore, and DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 06:20 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
We could demolish the interstates (at least where they connect at the state lines), convert a few highways to gravel roads, and we'd solve the problem.
Right but then Vermonters would have a hard time getting to NH to do their shopping.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:40 AM

444 posts, read 788,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Right but then Vermonters would have a hard time getting to NH to do their shopping.
If you blocked off the roads, then Vermont could become a theme park for very rich people with helicopters. Residents would be required to wear colonial clothes, make maple syrup and recite Robert Frost poems. Everyone living in the mountains would sing and go by the name of von Trapp. Rich Chinese would pay top dollar.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:22 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momnh View Post
Interesting article today about school enrollment in NH. NH student enrollments down yearly since '02 | New Hampshire NEWS04

Enrollment is down double digits in the last decade. Given NH is the 'boom state' in New England, it shows to me that this is an all over New England problem and not a VT problem.
This is a problem in all of New England, or I should at least say northern New England. The odd thing is our state has done very little to address the problem outside of understanding this is a bad trend. Maine saw the problem for about decade. They have multiple programs in place such as student loan forgiveness and several other incentives to keep youth in state. Vermont was looking into loan forgiveness, but I'm not sure how that would go over now with the expenses we already face.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:15 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
No, if you know the backroads well and have a real Vermonter's vehicle, it could still be done.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:25 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
No, if you know the backroads well and have a real Vermonter's vehicle, it could still be done.
That is how most get from Essex county over to Coos county to do shopping.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:08 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That is how most get from Essex county over to Coos county to do shopping.
Yep.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:11 AM

459 posts, read 1,036,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
Of course quality of life issues matter, but if you have to work two or three jobs as many Vermonters do, it's difficult to find time to enjoy the great outdoors and other benefits of living here. I do volunteer work in my community and can tell you that many seniors who have worked hard their entire lives don't have a great quality of life b/c they can barely afford to keep their oil tanks and cupboards filled.

Most of my friend's children who have left after college have moved on to areas that offer both a nice lifestyle and good-paying jobs.

The frustrating part of the lower salaries here is that they don't coincide with the COL. If the COL were proportionately low it wouldn't matter.

Frankly, Lisa, it seems that the problem has been created by transplants from your neck of the woods. Where's Bernie from? Where's Howard Dean from? Where's Anthony Polina from? NY, NY, NJ.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:57 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BickleTravis View Post
Frankly, Lisa, it seems that the problem has been created by transplants from your neck of the woods. Where's Bernie from? Where's Howard Dean from? Where's Anthony Polina from? NY, NY, NJ.
Are you saying that transplants drive the cost of housing up because it has become increasingly scarce as the population has grown? Or that transplants with liberal political agendas have changed things for the worse?

I guess the politics are a mixed bag. It's driven up taxes, I'm sure, but it's also provided schools in poor towns with the money needed for high-quality educational programs they couldn't afford 20 years ago before Act 60/62/68.

It's also prevented the state from becoming over-developed. Who knows, without people like Bernie it could look like parts of NC or even N.J.

Everyone comes here for different reasons. My dh and I are definitely moderates who came here b/c it's a beautiful place to live and a safe place to raise kids. We stay out of politics aside from the voting booth.

We both work (1 full time and 1 part time job each) so we are certainly contributing to the state and the programs that help many people who live here. In fact, we probably contribute more tax dollars than most natives so if anything, the state benefits from having middle-class transplants like ourselves.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:22 PM

166 posts, read 441,552 times
Are you saying that transplants drive the cost of housing up because it has become increasingly scarce as the population has grown? Or that transplants with liberal political agendas have changed things for the worse?

Yes to both. Both of these issues are well known facts to native Vermonters. (I'm not but my girlfriend is and many of my good friends are.) Look at the demographics of the state. More than half the state is now out-of-state born residents. Coincidence that half the state lives off 12/hr?

I guess the politics are a mixed bag. It's driven up taxes, I'm sure, but it's also provided schools in poor towns with the money needed for high-quality educational programs they couldn't afford 20 years ago before Act 60/62/68.

Yes and no. School enrollement has been plummeting here for the past 15 years. The youth is fleeing the state in epidemic numbers. We have the oldest U.S population. Education spending here has been rampant and out of control with poor results. The test scores here are pathetic for what we spend when factoring in teacher to student ratios.

The state has some serious problems to deal with in the future. The population is aging by the minute and with the youth leaving the state in such huge numbers. There is going to be no working class left to pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont