U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 06:32 PM

19 posts, read 90,505 times

Advertisements

I've been following these threads for a long time, and I've noticed that people have a lot of questions about what life is like in Vermont. So I think it has been established that Vermont is not all sledding across snow covered hills under sunlit skies to a covered bridge on the outskirts of a quaint village where a kindly old woman's gives you a bottle of maple syrup with some coy Yankee witticism that you'll repeat to your friends from whereeversville to show how much character this place has. Its idyllic image is clearly offset by some less than salubrious characteristics, but everyone should know about those already (8 months of awful weather- not including snow, ridiculous cost of living, lack of jobs, aging population etc etc etc and so forth). Some people seem to delight in denuding the place of it's finer points, and to them I say bah. This is not what I'm trying to do. It's still a magical place, large pockets of Alabama hidden therein notwithstanding.

Anyway, after wracking my brain to describe what it's all about, I think I've finally got it. Click the link and look through every picture carefully. This is news. These are your new neighbors and their killins. Welcome to Vermont.

The Trophy Room (broken link)

Last edited by Hookie; 09-05-2007 at 06:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 07:17 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,424,272 times
Good post Hookie. A lot idealistic wonder when it comes to Vermont. Despite the vocal minority that makes the headlines through our liberal media there are more places than not where the lifestyle and values is not in goose step with the progressives. Vermont does however offer encalves and for the most part folks don't mess with you like in many other places in the country. Myself, I basically like the outdoors and the opportunities that a real four season climate can offer, when I'm not at work.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:14 AM

1,442 posts, read 5,910,156 times
Where are those "Trophy Room" hunters from? I could be wrong, but I doubt they're from Burlington or Brattleboro.

I hope they're not transplants from Brooklyn!

Old 09-06-2007, 05:29 AM

2,143 posts, read 7,204,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
Where are those "Trophy Room" hunters from? I could be wrong, but I doubt they're from Burlington or Brattleboro.

I hope they're not transplants from Brooklyn!
The Caledonian Record is published in St. Johnsbury, but the hunters can be from anywhere. Deer hunting is a time honored tradition.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:54 AM

1,943 posts, read 3,241,454 times
Hunters are not really specific to any demographic and they come from everywhere - even big cities. You'd be surprised how many hunters there are in Brooklyn. Though there are probably a lot more in Vermont.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:30 AM

2,186 posts, read 5,998,831 times
Just read that hunting is declining in Vermont and I suspect most other places. It's impacting the Vermont Fish and Game Dept as they depend on the selling of licenses for their budget.

If seeing a dead deer strapped to the top of a vehicle is bothersome to you when it pulls up next to you at a convenience store you might want to rethink your move. I love venison!

Old 09-06-2007, 11:03 AM

1,943 posts, read 3,241,454 times
Had some good venison sausage last time we were up there, but I have to say my personal preference is boar. My fiancé went hunting for some in PA and we had meat for quite a while, and it was really good. Not too gamey and very tender.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:37 PM

10 posts, read 29,571 times
I am considering a move to Bennington from NJ and I have read many of these threads and this is the first one I've seen on hunting in Vt. Please keep it going. I want to know how the hunting is up there (big game and small game) . It may just make my decision easier.

Last edited by eaglenest lake; 09-06-2007 at 05:11 PM..

Old 09-06-2007, 03:50 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,383,901 times
Which "8 months of awful weather" are you referring to, Hookie?

Old 09-06-2007, 07:32 PM

19 posts, read 90,505 times
The 8 months of awful weather, in my relatively humble opinion would be Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr... Ok, so that's only 6, but let's give April extra weight because of how she toys with our spring-hopeful emotions. And November for being cloudy and raw 80% of the time.

Anyway, Arel, I am glad I can add to your already exhaustive research. Seriously, you should have your own spin-off website at this point. As was pointed out, those hunters are from the NEK, but that's sort of beside the point. Hunting is a deeply ingrained part of the culture in Vermont (hence the number of children posing with carcasses in those pictures). There are those who would have you believe that "those redneck huntin' folk" are a silent minority offset by the vast numbers of hippies, rich retirees, second home owners, gays, and those of generally bohemian ilk (not to mention your average person). It would certainly be comforting to believe this, but that's just another illusion about Vermont. Go to a local convenience store and take a look at the list of people's killin's . How many pounds, how many points- you'll often find it listed right there by the beef jerky on the counter.

Although I'm largely indifferent to all but my own petty self-interests, I guess I lean left politically. That said, I've noticed that the people on the farthest left (which Vermont obviously has, particularly in Brat/Burlington) and the farthest right make the biggest noise. A lot of Vermonters lean right, but in general Vermonters don't make a lot of noise (another cultural thing). So, Vermont has this reputation of being an ultra liberal utopian wonderland because it has been a safe haven for those on the far far left who, like I said, tend to make a lot of noise (not to mention alienate 90% of the population and do a disservice to otherwise worthy causes with their over-the-top antics).

I digress. I guess you could move to Brattleboro or Burlington and not see a lot of blaze orange, but that doesn't mean that hunting isn't part of their reality (and their parents' and their grandparents' etc). Regardless of where you move you obviously don't want to be an imperialist imposing a foreign set of values on anyone else (or, especially, to silently judge). I think Vermont has had enough of that. Sure that Toby Keith song blaring out of a run down pickup truck might violate your concept of all that is good in life; the drunken kids on atv's ripping up that quaint farmers field in mud season might enrage you; and the sound of a cute little deer's head exploding from buckshot might just be too horrifying to bear. But, like manufactured housing blighting a pastoral landscape on a grey, overcast day, that is the reality of Vermont. It seems like if people want the cultural trappings they are accustomed to, they should stay put. It is a nice place to visit though, for sure.

Alternately, you could look at it like this: Vermont is a Pisces (4/4/1791). Oh but not just any Pisces! I mean sun, moon, mars, venus all in Pisces (and north node conjunct neptune). WTF does that mean, you ask? Illusion, delusion, confusion! A ready-made screen for all of our idyllic projections. which is why so many transplants become DISillusioned with the state (and why it attracts so many Piscean types- artists, spiritual seekers, musicians, druggies.... oh yeah, check out the heroin epidemic.) But, like a Pisces there is some intangible, magical quality that is so intriguing that you just can't say no. A cruel mistress she is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or