Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2012, 06:38 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,312,137 times

Advertisements

Years ago my husband and I always hoped to move to the NE Kingdom someday. But fate stepped-in and our plans changed and thoughts about moving to Vermont got put on the back-burner...Anyway I'm just curious about how "outsiders" fare in the NE Kingdom? Who tends to be "accepted?" (Or not?) Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 08:08 PM

353 posts, read 1,000,696 times
The "quiet" ones. Don't force your political..sexual...religous beliefs!

Old 04-03-2012, 04:34 AM

819 posts, read 1,494,589 times
We are more than surviving, we are thriving in the NEK...... It isnt' for everyone however.

We hunt, we fish, we mountain bike, we enjoy getting our hands dirty, we like dirt roads, like mud, think -17 degree mornings are perfect for coffee on the deck, support farmers, support local labor, don't compete for jobs with fellow VTers, keep our opinions to ourselves unless asked and are sensitive to the perspective of existing VTers.

We are unassuming real people, what you see is what you get, we don't care about fancy cars and don't place too much importance on fancy toys, we care about other people and how they are doing.

When we are invited places we always do more than our share, not always in a $ way but in effort; since I can't sit still, I usually outwork most people in hunting camps etc. just because I enjoy it. That goes a long way to proving yourself to people. People around the NEK can be lsow to warm up to strangers whether you are from VT or elsewhere; they respect effort and character not words. You can't tell people you are a hard worker or a good person, you have to show them through actions and effort, let them come to the conclusion you are a hard worker and a good person.

Some of our best friends are in the NEK now, we know we can count on them and they know they can count on us. From my position, people are people, treat them how you would like to be treated if you were in their position, whether it is the NEK of NYC......

Steve

Old 04-03-2012, 06:16 AM

198 posts, read 464,045 times
Vermont is a way of life. Especially in the remote towns and villages. Too often I have seen people relocate to get away from the "big City" and then try to change the way a town should be run, the schools, etc to be more like from where they came. These changes affect our taxes and many people end up being taxed out of their family homesteads. Take a look at our state government and see how many people representing this state are from another state. I would predict that within 50 years there will be little to no native Vermonters left. It is a shame.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:52 AM

Thanks for your posts. I don't like it when people move into an area and demand changes either...This is why I think it's best to find out what an area is like ahead of time. I don't view towns or regions or states as "blank slates" just waiting for my "input."...Will I fit-in to the existing culture or not? IF NOT then I need to consider other places that might be a better "match" for me...Anyway thanks for the info about the NE Kingdom. It helps!

Old 04-03-2012, 08:02 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,654,623 times
Daughter and SIL moved to VT 15 years ago. They are extremely entrenched in VT and it is their home. Many of their friends came from LI, NJ, NYC, CT and have become a intricate part of the community. In the last year they all pitched in to help flood victims and continue to volunteer and are accepted as one of their own. As OP have stated, those that come in, with a "know it all" attitude or make a lot of waves trying to change things will have backs turned on them.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:03 AM

Ellwood...Thanks for your post. I'm glad your daughter and SIL "fit-in" so well and are happy living in VT...Moving to a new area (or considering moving to a new area) is a lot like dating and "shopping around" for a potential mate. (At least this is how I view it anyway.)...I think it's best to look for a "good match" ahead of time. (Versus assuming that we'll be able to "fit-in" anywhere when this isn't necessarily true.)...Nobody wants to see their culture or "way of life" become "extinct!" This happens too often these days when small towns are "absorbed" and turned into brand new suburbs and "satellites" of larger cities...People who want to cling to "what used to be" are considered "dinosaurs" or "weirdos" who should be thrown out in the "trash!" It's sad!

Old 02-07-2013, 04:19 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,057 times
Stay off the boards (school board, select board, etc) for at least five years. Listen to people when they tell you about living up there and accept what they say. Don't think you know more about where they have been living and are going to show them how it's done. Accept the NEK for what it is, country. It's not the city and it's not for everyone. Fight the urge to try and change things, except your own way of living to blend in.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:58 PM

819 posts, read 1,494,589 times
Send me a note and I'll tell you :-) I couldn't be more in the NEK..........and I lost the birth lottery when I took my first breath, so I'm an "outsider"....

Old 02-10-2013, 08:42 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,057 times
Ones that can blend in the best and accept it for what it is without trying to change it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont