U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 08:26 AM

3,038 posts, read 1,690,049 times
Hey maybe they'll go the way of Ascutney but leave a bigger mess....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 10:16 AM

2,184 posts, read 4,163,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Hey maybe they'll go the way of Ascutney but leave a bigger mess....
Ascutney was totaly diferent. It was actually for the opposite reason. Owners had no money or access to capital. Condos were and are still managed by a subsidery of Holiday Inn. The company is called something like Orange Lake. The condo owners either walked away with a loss or are staying with it. Weekend free bus trips to Okemo is what I was told they were doing. The bus is free, not the skiing.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:38 AM

1,041 posts, read 990,610 times
I say DIVERSITY! The same ole doesn't support things just because of the snow. (ie; this year NO snow) Not having a huge debt to make payments on also frees up the creative minds of the owners. Let's corner every available market! Open minds create open bank accounts. Instead of whining about lost revenue due to the economy, they are seeking any means to thrive. Considering there isn't much around I am very proud of the tenacity shown.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:20 PM

4,671 posts, read 8,881,815 times
did they really get 250" this year (think I read that somewhere). If so, what's a more normal winter like?

Old 04-12-2012, 05:29 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,589,697 times
300"+. They get the most snow in the NE. People here in Virginia know about Jay Peak and I find that fascinating.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:19 AM

15,208 posts, read 20,774,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
300"+. They get the most snow in the NE. People here in Virginia know about Jay Peak and I find that fascinating.
Wow, great snowfall amounts at Jay Peak... It makes NH look like a snow desert by comparison.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:24 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,589,697 times
Jay Peak

But I think the average annual snowfall has increased to 377" or something to that effect.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Wow, great snowfall amounts at Jay Peak... It makes NH look like a snow desert by comparison.
Not really, have ya ever heard of Mt Washington? Wildcat ski area, Tuckermans Ravine. Jay is on the Vt/Canadian border. Where in NH do you live?

Old 04-14-2012, 11:59 AM

15,208 posts, read 20,774,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Not really, have ya ever heard of Mt Washington? Wildcat ski area, Tuckermans Ravine. Jay is on the Vt/Canadian border. Where in NH do you live?
Yes, I do know that Mt. Washington and Wildcat get a mountain of snow, pun intended. I live in south-central NH and the amount this past winter was a pathetic 48" combined Fall & Winter. The best skiing in my backyard is "usually" at Sunapee.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Yes, I do know that Mt. Washington and Wildcat get a mountain of snow, pun intended. I live in south-central NH and the amount this past winter was a pathetic 48" combined Fall & Winter. The best skiing in my backyard is "usually" at Sunapee.
Everyone in the northeast got way below average snow this past winter. Hopefully it's just an anomally, last winter was a big year for snow. It's all reletive. What's a normal snowfall for Sunapee? Comparing apples to apples, the snow in northern NH is hardly a desert by comparison to Jay, that's all I am saying. Just going by location and elevation Sunapee will always have less yearly snowfall than Jay. That's why we all, except MRG, have snowmaking. Even Jay has snowmaking.

When the state leased Sunapee to Triple Peaks(former owners of Okemo) I think some mountain improvements were made despite not being allowed to swap land for condos. I have spent alot of time in the New london/Sunapee area and usually that area gets good snow being in a snow belt. Hopefully next winter will be back to normal, if there is such a thing anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont