U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 12:14 PM

191 posts, read 406,041 times

Advertisements

My wife and I moved to Sarasota Florida a year ago. Beautiful place, sunny and warm, great beaches. Yes, if your on vacation. Living hear is the pits. Traffic is horrible, chain restaurants everywhere, crime is rampant, and in the summer - you feel like your gonna ignite into flames it's so hot. My wife is a nurse in a local hospital hear and shakes her head on a daily basis. The healthcare and method of treatments are really bad. Needless to say, WE WANT TO COME HOME!! We are lifelong New Englanders and miss it so. I miss my sports. No Pats talk on radio or tv, same with Sox, Celts, and Bruins. My wife misses those snowy days when you look out the window and say "not today". Curl up on the couch by the fire and read a book. We both miss the change of seasons. It's always the same here - except someone turns up the heat. Anyway, we were looking to come back to New England as my wife has been approached with nursing opportunities in both Brattleboro and White River Junction (VA Hospital). Any ideas of the area would be great. We both love Vermont and my parents had a vacation home in Strafford when I was growing up. Loved it there but maybe its changed??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 01:01 PM

530 posts, read 1,184,385 times
I think you would like the White River area. Your wife might like the VA, but she would also have the option of working across the river at DHMC, which is a first-rate medical center where Dartmouth medical school is located. This entire area, both sides if the river, is known as the Upper Valley. We have always had very low unemployment in the 20 years I have lived here, low crime, great schools, etc. and no shortage of the white stuff in winter!

Old 04-10-2012, 02:43 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,419,194 times
Having just got back from FL visiting the in-laws, I understand totally. VT isn't perfect but the stress level of every day living is pretty low here. Dartmouth Hitchcock is a first rate hospital and lots of smaller rural towns nearby within easy commuting. Welcome back!

Old 04-10-2012, 06:02 PM

191 posts, read 406,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
Having just got back from FL visiting the in-laws, I understand totally. VT isn't perfect but the stress level of every day living is pretty low here. Dartmouth Hitchcock is a first rate hospital and lots of smaller rural towns nearby within easy commuting. Welcome back!
Thanks for the reply. I can't wait to sit down in a diner or coffee shop and have a conversation with one of my fellow residents about the Red Sox. All you get down hear is rude tourist in your local chain restaurants. We love "laid back" and we thought people were like that in Florida. They are laid back but it's almost if they are ignorant about it. They take their time in stores and make you wait, they clog up the isles in the supermarket and could care less if your trying to get something, their loud and obnoxious in public places. I could go on and on. We have a young son and we are terrified to send him to school down hear when he is ready. We read good reviews about the schools before we moved but a couple of my wife's patients have been teachers, and they say schools are bad!! We have been looking online at houses and my brother who lives in CT is willing to check out what we find. We are looking for a rural area but not too rural. No isolation if you know what I mean. Maybe a small to medium town with some amenities yet in the country. My wife has 2 horses so they come too!

Old 04-11-2012, 11:50 AM

530 posts, read 1,184,385 times
If your wife decides on the VA job, you should check out the Hartland, West Windsor and Brownsville area for homes. Lots of horse country in those areas!

Old 04-15-2012, 08:02 PM

2,186 posts, read 5,991,833 times
Strafford being located out of the way has changed little. Still small, pretty and quiet except for the occasional tourist taking a picture of it's famous church. That whole Strafford, Tunbridge and Chelsea area has changed little over the years. I know people in Chelsea who have commuted to the White River/West Leb area for work so living in the Strafford area is definately doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or