Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2012, 05:07 AM

6 posts, read 7,396 times

Advertisements

I'll be attending VLS in South Royalton and I'm super excited even though I know winters will be a b*tch. I'm from California, so I know I'm going to have to give up a lot of things that I'm used to in terms of convenience as well (Walmart (though there's one in Hanover I know), Target, Costco, Trader Joe's, Ross/Marshall's, a close hospital).

Any general tips on what to expect/how to survive would be greatly appreciated, as well as answers to the following questions:

- What should I expect in cost per month for propane heating? I'll probably be renting a 1bed/1bath place

- I don't think I'll drive much in the winter since I'm not used to it but when should I start stockpiling? October? November? Does it snow in October?

- Are winter tires necessary or will all-season tires suffice? What other car-related things should I be aware of or will need?

- I read a thread about blackflies? Are they similar to mosquitoes? The Wikipedia article wasn't very helpful. Can they be repelled with insect repellant?

- Where would I be about to find good furniture in the Royalton area? Or will I have to go to WRJ/Lebanon/Hanover, or up to Burlington? I'm trying to look for something that's as furnished as possible but I know that may not always be an option. I do want a really comfy chair for reading as well (since I'm going to be doing so much of it)

Sorry if any of these questions are dumb, I tend to overthink and worry about the smallest things. I really appreciate any responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 05:38 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnclouds View Post
I'll be attending VLS in South Royalton and I'm super excited even though I know winters will be a b*tch.
I hope you love VLS and that you'll be pleasantly surprised about winter. Have you ever experienced cold, snowy weather? I moved to NH directly from Miami, Florida, where I was born. Eight years later I moved to VT, and I'm fine all winter. In fact, I love it and will never leave. Not true for everyone for sure. Plenty of native northerners move south or wish they could.

Quote:
- I don't think I'll drive much in the winter since I'm not used to it but when should I start stockpiling? October? November? Does it snow in October?
Significant snow in October is unusual. This past past winter we had very little snow. We had our driveway plowed once, and probably didn't even need to. So anything is possible. It could be piles of snow or not much at all.

Quote:
- Are winter tires necessary or will all-season tires suffice? What other car-related things should I be aware of or will need?
Winter tires, absolutely. All-season tires are useless in snow.

Quote:
Sorry if any of these questions are dumb, I tend to overthink and worry about the smallest things. I really appreciate any responses!
Me, too. I overthink and over-prepare for everything. As long as you don't stress out, I think it's a great life skill.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
I hope you love VLS and that you'll be pleasantly surprised about winter. Have you ever experienced cold, snowy weather? I moved to NH directly from Miami, Florida, where I was born. Eight years later I moved to VT, and I'm fine all winter. In fact, I love it and will never leave. Not true for everyone for sure. Plenty of native northerners move south or wish they could.
Erm....I've been up to Lake Tahoe during the winter but I don't really think it's comparable. For one, we use chains up in the mountains but I don't think that's allowed in VT!

I did visit VLS last June, and I really did love the atmosphere of the school and the town is so quaint. It will be an adjustment, but I'm going to try and be as open-minded as possible. Hating it won't make my stay any shorter.

Thanks so much for the tip about winter tires! Definitely making a note of it, especially since I really did not even know it was a thing until about an hour ago.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:27 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,015 times
Quote:
Erm....I've been up to Lake Tahoe during the winter but I don't really think it's comparable. For one, we use chains up in the mountains but I don't think that's allowed in VT!
You're right. It's different out west and chains are not allowed here. The elevations out there are incredible! For example, Vermont's highest peaks are lower than the valleys in the Rockies. I think that's a game changer.

In 24 years in Northern New England, I can think of only one or two cases in which I changed my plans because of weather. Whereas when we were out west, we had our plans changed for us several times when the mountain passes we'd planned to travel were closed, or closed to all cars without chains.

My experience here is that winter weather is usually slipperier than it is about deep snow. So good grippy tires are a must.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:02 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,374,582 times
If you aren't used to driving in snow, you might want to consider a vehicle with 4WD or 4WD on command. I grew up here and instinctively know how to steer out of a skid, but that 4WD comes in handy for going up steep roads in winter conditions.

I don't see why you can't have chains on your tires, if you want to. Last time I looked Vermont even allowed studded snow tires year round. I think of chains as a temporary thing for when you're driving through a high mountain pass. Really once it starts snowing I wouldn't want to put chains on my tires in December and leave them on until April.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:58 AM

76 posts, read 200,349 times
My boyfriend is thinking about going to VLS next year! Keep us updated on your experience! My only concern is the prospect of living in the middle of nowhere. Though, VT is by far my favorite place that I have ever lived.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
If you aren't used to driving in snow, you might want to consider a vehicle with 4WD or 4WD on command. I grew up here and instinctively know how to steer out of a skid, but that 4WD comes in handy for going up steep roads in winter conditions.
I think I'm going to end up using a Zipcar, but I'm definitely going to learn how to steer out a skid!

Are there a lot of steep roads? When I visited, my dad drove but I remember it being quite pleasant, not entirely flat but not too winding....of course we drove from NY to White River Junction, then to Royalton and Waterbury and then back down so I can't speak for the rest of the state....

Old 05-22-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise222 View Post
My boyfriend is thinking about going to VLS next year! Keep us updated on your experience! My only concern is the prospect of living in the middle of nowhere. Though, VT is by far my favorite place that I have ever lived.
I'll try! I'm really excited, I just really loved the campus when I visited last year. I just felt a connection to the school, and South Royalton is just so cute. It sounds cheesy but I knew in my gut that's where I wanted to be.

It is pretty much the middle of nowhere though, and I wasn't really concerned about it until recently (I was more worried about getting in!). I don't live in the biggest Californian city but within 20 minutes of my house I have seven major grocery chains (four which are regionally big), two Walmarts, two Costcos, a Target, 2 Ross's, one Marshall's, a Trader Joe's, three Starbuck's, one Whole Foods, more than a dozen fast food places, and more than a dozen Mexican food restaurants.

I mean I'm excited for a change of pace but...I'm just going to miss the convenience lol. I'm just glad Lebanon has a Walmart and TJ Maxx!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont