Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 11:33 AM

6 posts, read 10,872 times

Advertisements

My husband & I are considering taking a sumemr vacation to Vermont. We will probably spend about a week there, likely Burlington area, since we will have to fly in, and then possibly rent a car (renting the car is uncertain at this point). Neither of us has ever been there.

We currently live in Phoenix, Arizona, and have never vacationed outside of Arizona/California/Mexico, so this would be a completely different experience for both of us.

My question is....what would be some interesting places for us to see? Things to do? Lake trips? etc?? Keep in mind, if we fly in to Burlington, we will likely stay around that area.

Thanks!

Allison
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 02:03 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,277 times
Sounds like you'll be in for a treat! Summer in Vermont is probably a little more enjoyable than summer in the Southwest.

If you have an entire week, I would definitely recommend renting a car in order to get the most out of your trip, although there is enough to do and see in Burlington itself to occupy you for a couple of days at least. Try one of the many great restaurants along Church Street, rent bikes and follow the bike path along the lakeshore, go swimming at North Beach... I've never taken one of the lake cruises but I'm sure that would be enjoyable.

Having a car would allow you to reach the Shelburne Museum and Mt. Philo to the south, or any of the quintessentially picturesque Vermont landscapes to the east, such as those around Stowe, Cabot, and Peacham... You could also do the touristy thing and visit the Ben & Jerry's factory.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:28 PM

190 posts, read 652,440 times
Yes definitely rent a car! You will have a far more enjoyable trip if you can travel around a bit. Don't forget to bring bug spray. In Burlington you will have fun walking down Church Street, eating ice cream by the waterfront, going to the Shelburne Museum, and checking out all the great shops and restaurants. Some day trip ideas:

Go down Route 100, arguably one of the most beautiful roads in Vermont. Stop by Waitsfield, go to the Warren Country Store in Warren, and take a right onto Route 125. Then stop and take in the beautiful Breadloaf campus and don't miss Robert Frost's Cabin in the woods. Go back north up Route 7.

Go down Route 7, stopping in at Dakin Farms and the Vermont Teddy Bear Factory. Continue on and spend some time in Middlebury for some very quaint little shops. Go north up Route 23 and take a right on Route 17, also one of the most beautiful roads in Vermont.

Take Interstate 89 to Waterbury and go north on Route 100. Stop in at the Cider Mill and at Ben and Jerry's of course. Continue to Stowe, which has some amazing art galleries and is quite a gorgeous town.

Spend a day at Shelburne Farms. Make sure to visit the Inn and check out the OLD Farm Barn up on Southern Acres.

Hike up Mt. Philo (you really cannot miss this, one of the most amazing views anywhere and the hike is steep but paved and not hard).

I also really love Niquette's Bay State Park, Button Bay, Ethan Allen Museum (trails), and Shelburne Bay for hiking.

There is so much too do, you will have lots of fun!

Old 05-21-2012, 10:48 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,651 times
I had a great time in Montpelier. It's about an hour's drive from Burlington and is -- I thought this was really charming -- America's smallest state capital, and somewhat famously the only one without a McDonald's. Pretty, charming, some good food, some good shopping. There were at least three independently owned bookstores in its small downtown.

I think this story says it all: The first time I drove into town, I pulled into a parking spot next to a drugstore and got out. Three teenage girls immediately rode up on bikes. "Where should we leave our bikes?" the first one said. "How about right here?" the other one suggested. So they all leaned their bikes against the drugstore wall and walked away.

Loved Burlington, too, but my Burlington sources inform me that wouldn't happen there.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:03 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I think this story says it all: The first time I drove into town, I pulled into a parking spot next to a drugstore and got out. Three teenage girls immediately rode up on bikes. "Where should we leave our bikes?" the first one said. "How about right here?" the other one suggested. So they all leaned their bikes against the drugstore wall and walked away.

Loved Burlington, too, but my Burlington sources inform me that wouldn't happen there.
I won't speak for all of Burlington (I will assume it's no different). The bike racks at the hospital are notorious for having bikes stolen. The crazy aspect is all the bikes are chained or locked and all the racks are all in heavily traveled public areas.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:31 AM

48 posts, read 107,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
I won't speak for all of Burlington (I will assume it's no different). The bike racks at the hospital are notorious for having bikes stolen. The crazy aspect is all the bikes are chained or locked and all the racks are all in heavily traveled public areas.
It seems odd that if those thefts are such a pervasive problem on such an important activity as bike riding that a security camera would have been installed by now.

If something is not safe people don't tend to do it, and that means a return to driving their car or something of that sort.

What a shame.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:34 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamn View Post
It seems odd that if those thefts are such a pervasive problem on such an important activity as bike riding that a security camera would have been installed by now.

If something is not safe people don't tend to do it, and that means a return to driving their car or something of that sort.

What a shame.
There are cameras outside the areas where the bikes are kept, but the racks are under a covered area the cameras are not able to see. Security also makes a presence, but if you dress accordingly, avoid the cameras, avoid security, etc., it's almost impossible to get caught. I don't want to make it sound like bikes are missing every day, but it's frequent enough.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:21 AM

11 posts, read 35,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
See this video:
Bike Thief 2012 - YouTube

A guy in NYC does an experiment to see how many people would stop him from stealing bikes in broad daylight. No one did. He even stole bikes in front of a police station and used very obvious tools: power drill, pliers, a saw...

Old 05-23-2012, 09:18 AM

530 posts, read 1,340,678 times
I actually saw someone try to steal my roomates's bike in NYC by removing the No Parking sign from the metal post the bike was locked to, and then trying to slide the bike up in the air to get the lock over the top of the post. Amazing! He was thwarted by my shouting out the window at him. Here in Windsor, which is really a poverty-ridden town, I see unlocked bikes left outside all night. Go figure.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:32 AM

6 posts, read 10,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I had a great time in Montpelier. It's about an hour's drive from Burlington and is -- I thought this was really charming -- America's smallest state capital, and somewhat famously the only one without a McDonald's. Pretty, charming, some good food, some good shopping. There were at least three independently owned bookstores in its small downtown.

Thank you everyone for the tips/suggestions/advice. I'm looking forward to our visit. Vermont strikes me as being so beautiful! The conversation about the bikes in Montpelier is funny! I'm trying to picture that conversation happening in Phoenix. The 50 people standing around listening would be plotting their plan of theft before it was even over, lol.

Thanks again everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont