Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 04:59 PM

3 posts, read 3,610 times

Advertisements

We've been liviing in our current house since 2005. We need to move into a new place before the next school year starts.

We've been looking for well over a year for a 2 or 3 bedroom house to rent. Craigslist has come up very short and the houses that have been listed, affordable and looked decent have turned out to be scams.

Can anyone suggest other websites for finding year-round rentals (strong preference for a house).

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 06:30 PM

530 posts, read 1,337,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by running-late802 View Post
We've been liviing in our current house since 2005. We need to move into a new place before the next school year starts.

We've been looking for well over a year for a 2 or 3 bedroom house to rent. Craigslist has come up very short and the houses that have been listed, affordable and looked decent have turned out to be scams.

Can anyone suggest other websites for finding year-round rentals (strong preference for a house).

Thanks in advance.
What area are you looking at? You might want to check out local papers as well as realtors and property management companies.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:21 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,360,791 times
Single family homes as rentals are hard to find and are going to become even more scarce than they already are. Good luck. You may want to look for apartments instead.
looking for a rental in vermont

Old 06-04-2012, 08:28 PM

Jenny1951,
We've been looking at an area with Burlington/Waterbury/St Johnsbury at the northern end and Rutland at the southern end. Further south of Rutland would not meet our needs.
R-L.

Also, Jenn. Thanks for the suggestion about going to a property management firm. We were trying to avoid it to keep the up front costs as low as possible.
R-L

Last edited by running-late802; 06-04-2012 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: Wanted to make additional comment

Old 06-04-2012, 08:35 PM

FrugalYankee,
Thanks for that link to the earlier post. I have rented here for 7 years and I was not aware of all the red tape involved. It's disheartening.
R-L.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running-late802 View Post
Jenny1951,
We've been looking at an area with Burlington/Waterbury/St Johnsbury at the northern end and Rutland at the southern end. Further south of Rutland would not meet our needs.
R-L.

Also, Jenn. Thanks for the suggestion about going to a property management firm. We were trying to avoid it to keep the up front costs as low as possible.
R-L

Usually the landlord pays a fee to the property manager. When I had my house listed for sale last year, the realtor told me if I wanted to rent it, she had plenty of people interested, so you may want to check out the MLS rental section here:

http:/www.nneren.com

You can pick the state, town and type of housing on the left.

I will be renting my house in the coming year, in Windsor, but I am waiting for a tax credit senior housing apartment to be available first.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:59 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,945,830 times
We use a property management company to rent our condo and we pay the commission, not the renters...

Old 06-05-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
We use a property management company to rent our condo and we pay the commission, not the renters...
Are you happy using their services? I am a little overwhelmed by the thought of renting my house, with all the negative comments I have read about bad tenants, and I am thinking of using a property manager. Three houses on my street are rentals, and I don't see any problems with the tenants. All of landlords rented without using property managers, which I believe charge 10% for their services.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:51 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,360,791 times
You need to screen, screen, screen and learn to spot scammers. And don't be afraid to leave the place vacant while you are waiting for acceptable tenants. Bad tenants are worse thean none. My house has been empty for almost a year and I am still better off than I would be if I had rented it out, even to decent tenants.

I learned by doing - had a "property manager" who was worse than doing it myself. I finally ditched them and things improved. If someone is in a hurry to move in, that is a HUGE red flag; more likely than not they are being evicted. Never ever use so-called references or call current landlords. It's a complete waste of time.
Get their SS # -if they won't give it you you, RED FLAG.
Do court checks everywhere they have lived.
Get hold of the cops everywhere they have lived and find out whatever they can tell you.
Insist on proof that they have paid for wherever they have been living in the form of canceled checks or bank statements. If they can't come up with that - RED FLAG.
Stick to your guns when requiring a security deposit equal to two month's rent (NOT "first, last and security" - first plus security). If they can't come up with it, RED FLAG.
Make sure the lease has wording which allows you to recover attorney's fees if you have to go to court, otherwise you cannot add those costs to the cost of getting rid of a deadbeat tenant.

There are so many dirtbags who are one step ahead of the Sheriff it isn't funny anymore. Like I said, screen, screen, screen.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:16 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,945,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny1951 View Post
Are you happy using their services? I am a little overwhelmed by the thought of renting my house, with all the negative comments I have read about bad tenants, and I am thinking of using a property manager. Three houses on my street are rentals, and I don't see any problems with the tenants. All of landlords rented without using property managers, which I believe charge 10% for their services.
We are generally happy with them but a few things to keep in mind is that we are mostly renting to tourists for shorter periods of time (at most we've had people in there for three months at a time) so I think it's a different market. They do a fairly decent job of going after anyone if there is damage (though there have been things that have been missed) and using the deposit to fix/clean/etc.

I think if we lived closer I might be more inclined to forgo paying the commission, but from where we are (in Queens! Hello former NYer!) it's all but impossible to check up on the place that frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont