Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 11:04 AM

18,353 posts, read 26,479,237 times

Advertisements

There's no statewide code for residential construction, and I hope it stays that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 01:31 PM

149 posts, read 700,874 times
Have not built yet but close to narrowing down an architect which we will need since we are out of state. Once I have a full set of drawings/plans with all stamps we'll put out to bid with some good builders and find out what the true cost to build is.

Joe Moving, any progress? Thoughts?

Old 11-20-2014, 03:39 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,969,671 times
Have you thought about looking online for house plans? We got ours for $500 for 3 sets of plans. We did a little tweaking and it was way cheaper. We've yet to see our house anywhere in Vt. Thousands of plans online. Our local lumber yard did the materials pricing for us.
Building a house requires a lot of decision making. Cabinets, doors, heating, etc. the more you have set beforehand the easier it will go. You'll still be making on the fly decisions all the time, sometimes while the builder has his hammer in his hand waiting for an answer.
Carry a notebook with you. Write down stuff as it pops in your head. Start picking out windows,doors, cabinets, moldings, countertops in advance. Some stuff takes awhile to get and will hold you up. While you're building, run wires for speakers on porches or outdoors, even your garage. Generator setup? Way easier while you're building. Xmas lights? We put switched outlets in the porch ceiling. It goes on and on.
Our present house is our 3rd build. It went way smoother than our first two from experience and a lot of preplanning. Nothing is ever perfect but we came darn close.
Good luck!

Old 11-20-2014, 03:44 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,262,883 times
Kwik Release-what part of VT are you building in? If it is anywhere near me I can highly recommend an architect and a builder. Feel free to send me a DM (direct message) We did a building project 6 years ago-I highly second harpoonalt's post!

Old 11-25-2014, 11:13 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,854,770 times
Any input on well drilling costs/companies? I've got 8k budgeted for well and line to home but am wishfully thinking it will come in less. I guess it all depends but there must be a norm. I'm thinking of calling Manosh.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:25 PM

You never know with wells. My neighbors hit good water at 150 feet. We had to go over 500 and our wells are probably 100 yards apart. One of the biggest wildcards when building a house.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:49 AM

168 posts, read 285,452 times
Default The norm is an absence of a norm :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
You never know with wells. My neighbors hit good water at 150 feet. We had to go over 500 and our wells are probably 100 yards apart. One of the biggest wildcards when building a house.
Same experience here - two neighbors who are about 300 yards apart, and seemingly equally situated from the perspective of the surface; one went 270', the other had to go 600'.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:19 PM

haha ok. I'll stick to my 8k budget .

Any thoughts on Windows in a basement in Vermont?

One house we put an offer on had no windows inthe basement. IT seemed to make sense to me... I don't want to spend my winter shoveling snow away from windows. ????? Is it abnormal to not have any windows in the basement?

I don't plan on finishing it but, figure the kids will go down there and goof around. Throw down a carpet and TV whatever.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:56 AM

I'm pretty sure code these days requires some form of egress from your basement.
On basements.....We used porch and floor enamel on the concrete floors and regular white wall paint on the concrete walls. The basement isn't finished but we use it for exercise and it's my shop. The paint brightens up the walls and the floor paint keeps the dust down as well as making it easier to clean. Has held up great over the last 8 years. Also put 4' fluorescent lights up down there instead of the single bulb lights. Way brighter and much more pleasant being down there working on projects or working out. Also, highly recommend putting in a bulkhead access to your basement.
Foam insulation on the basement walls really helps too.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:38 AM

On the well I did call Manosh and they took a sample of wells they had drilled in the area and told me $8k just for the well and pump, not including water line to house or Pressure tank or any of that fun stuff.

my plan was no windows and a bilco hatch to keep things simple - definitely would have egress.

If you had windows, what happens when snow piles up against basement windows, don't you have to keep them clear so the snow doesn't melt right next to the window and flood through the window?

Does anyone have any thoughts about breaking ground in early May? A few excavators I've talked to seem a little uneasy about dealing with wet ground, mud season, especially since there might even still be snow on the ground at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont