U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 05:49 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,410,610 times

Advertisements

We never do anything with snow up against the basement windows. Never leaked yet.

Bilco door is a must in my book. The bigger the better.

We broke ground in May. It depends on the lot and drainage. Our lot was basically a gravel pit and drains well, so we had no issues. I'd go with the excavators on this.

On wells....It doesn't end with that either. We ended up with an aerator to eliminate the sulfur smell in our water, a rust filter to help with the iron, and a Highly recommended whole house filter to trap anything else. It helps keep faucets and fixtures trouble free.

On that note....I also highly recommend Toto toilets. A bit expensive but worth every penny.

Exciting times building a new house. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 06:22 PM

149 posts, read 642,171 times
We have hired an architect and staked our building envelope. Slowly moving along with design. Realistically probably won't break ground until May 2017. Hoping building costs will come down 20% or so if the price of oil stays down...Not holding my breath though.

Our plot of land is up on Fayston. My parents still have our old ski house on C Fayston Rd and are currently spending the summer up there. Dad still chain sawing down big trees at 80 years old and he hiked up Chute at MRG although not all the way this year. Beautiful area. Grew up skiing there and can't wait to burn a log in my own VT fireplace one day.

Amazed with how much $$ the new Sugarbush condos have all sold for at Rice Brook.

Love the area.

Joe Moving how are you coming along??

Old 07-31-2015, 06:19 AM

5,439 posts, read 14,742,061 times
oh very cool - exciting. I Can't tell you how long my wife and i spent staking out the corners. And our house is a simple rectangle. We just kept moving it 1 foot this way, 1 foot that way, etc. In the end I bet we would never know the difference.

by the way harpoonalt. we did use Toto toilets. the toto drakes are not that expensive. we have one here and they do work really well. throw out your plunger!

we are doing pretty well! we broke ground in May so hoping to be done in a couple of months. i feel like the end is in sight now!! almost every decision is behind us, so it's just a matter of getting it done. decisions, coordinating and scheduling were definitely the most challenging things so far... and of course the cost!!!

Old 08-16-2015, 10:34 AM

157 posts, read 177,301 times
If you are not a contractor will you get a loan to build? I'm not sure.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:24 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,410,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
oh very cool - exciting. I Can't tell you how long my wife and i spent staking out the corners. And our house is a simple rectangle. We just kept moving it 1 foot this way, 1 foot that way, etc. In the end I bet we would never know the difference.

by the way harpoonalt. we did use Toto toilets. the toto drakes are not that expensive. we have one here and they do work really well. throw out your plunger!

we are doing pretty well! we broke ground in May so hoping to be done in a couple of months. i feel like the end is in sight now!! almost every decision is behind us, so it's just a matter of getting it done. decisions, coordinating and scheduling were definitely the most challenging things so far... and of course the cost!!!
How's it coming along joe?

Old 08-20-2015, 10:36 AM

Running into some logistical issues. We'll work through it but it's a pain, stressful and taking time. My suggestion is to thoroughly investigate and resolve any and all infrastructure (well/water, septic/sewer, power, driveway, etc.) related issues before building.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:54 AM

168 posts, read 186,074 times
Quote:
Running into some logistical issues. We'll work through it but it's a pain, stressful and taking time. My suggestion is to thoroughly investigate and resolve any and all infrastructure (well/water, septic/sewer, power, driveway, etc.) related issues before building.
As much as you may not want to re-live them, LOL, those of us who anticipate (I won't say "desire"!) going through the homebuilding process would appreciate hearing any details and specifics you might be able to offer.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:34 PM

i probably shouldn't say anything until it's resolved but i will say so when it is.

but i'll give an example unrelated to the above:

our land came "engineered" but after further investigation, we found out that it was overly complicated and as a result, a very expensive septic plan. we found out that a costly "sand filter" box, the original engineer added, is no longer needed, so we had it removed by increasing the size of the leach field.

in the end, for less cost than the original design plan, we were able to remove this box, and at the same time add ability to handle the water volume for a 1 bedroom apartment accessory dwelling. so when we want that garage apartment down the line, we're all set. we could have also changed the septic plan from 3 to 5 bedroom instead of the apartment. (5 bedrooms or 3 bedroom + 1 apartment is the same volume, i guess). the end result is also a more simple plan which means less maintenance and fewer pumps to break and less electricity use.

this took a long time, but it was during the time we were designing the house anyway, so it wasn't at any additional cost. But if you had to do this after you already started building, you might be waiting a long while for engineering and permitting (although I will say that once submitted to the state of VT, they were very quick to approve--maybe 2 weeks, if that).

Old 08-20-2015, 04:08 PM

168 posts, read 186,074 times
Quote:
our land came "engineered" but after further investigation, we found out that it was overly complicated and as a result, a very expensive septic plan. we found out that a costly "sand filter" box, the original engineer added, is no longer needed, so we had it removed by increasing the size of the leach field.
That's actually quite interesting - when we bought in 2007 there was not a pre-approved septic plan for our parcel - several people told me I was nuts to buy without an approved plan; but my take was that we didn't know where exactly we'd want the house nor how big it would be, so why would I want to be locked in (or at least quasi-locked in) to some pre-approved plan... and in the meantime I saved the seller a few thousand dollars, which (hopefully!) reduced the sales price. Sounds like I may have been at least partially right

(To be clear - our parcel did pass a perc test, and in any event it's large enough that even if we had to, we could do the whole thing as a mound-based system without negatively impacting any other plans or uses. So I felt like I was covered for any 'worst case' scenarios.)

Old 08-21-2015, 06:04 AM

i think as long as it percolates , you should be fine. obviously the bigger the property the more choices you have on where to put it. i would just allow plenty of time to get the plan done and approved. if you are using an architect, i'm sure they would provide some suggestions as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont