U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 05:34 PM

530 posts, read 1,180,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I've lived in Montpelier for almost thirty years, and I think it's the best place in Vermont to live. It's a small city with a good quality of life, good schools, and a friendly atmosphere. I didn't notice where you'd be moving from, but housing in Montpelier is not as expensive as Burlington, although not cheap.

There are good restaurants, although not as many as in a larger city, and you can hear live music every night of the week.

Although the population is only about 8,000, the fact that it is the state capital and swells to 20,000 or more during the work day attracts amenities of a larger place.

We're also clsoe to skiing, kayaking, hiking, and other outdoor activities. We have a professional theater company that performs in City Hall, professional police and fire departments, nice parks. It's a great place to raise kids, particularly if you enjoy the fact that the kids that your kid meets on the first day of kindergarten are probably the same kids they'll be graduating from high school with.

I strongly recommend giving Montpelier a try.
I enjoy visiting Montpelier. For me, it always seems to be a Motor Vehicle Department visit! I have a friend in the UK who came here and fell in love with Montpelier, after visiting many places in the US. He was astonished that it was the state capital, but with such a small-town atmosphere. Well, that's Vermont. Isn't it the only state capital without a McDonalds's? In any case, I agree with Jack, definitely a town worth checking out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 05:52 AM

6 posts, read 8,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I've lived in Montpelier for almost thirty years, and I think it's the best place in Vermont to live. It's a small city with a good quality of life, good schools, and a friendly atmosphere. I didn't notice where you'd be moving from, but housing in Montpelier is not as expensive as Burlington, although not cheap.

There are good restaurants, although not as many as in a larger city, and you can hear live music every night of the week.

Although the population is only about 8,000, the fact that it is the state capital and swells to 20,000 or more during the work day attracts amenities of a larger place.

We're also clsoe to skiing, kayaking, hiking, and other outdoor activities. We have a professional theater company that performs in City Hall, professional police and fire departments, nice parks. It's a great place to raise kids, particularly if you enjoy the fact that the kids that your kid meets on the first day of kindergarten are probably the same kids they'll be graduating from high school with.

I strongly recommend giving Montpelier a try.
Thank you so much for the information. Your post was very informative. we are moving from Providence RI. Like I said I have always loved Vermont for the environment, the people and the way of life and am looking forward to living there. I have always thought that Burlington would be wonderful but we thought we would check all over the state and discovered Montpelier. We have never spent any real time exploring Montpelier unlike the rest of VT. I appreciate your input we were worried about the size. We both grew up in small towns and I think they are wonderful places to grow up, however we do appreciate the amenities of a larger town and were worried about restaurants and entertainment, but it seems that Montpelier might be the best of both worlds.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:59 AM

Isn't it the only state capital without a McDonalds's? [/quote]

That fact alone makes we want to check it out!! I love that, I read it back a month ago and thought it was great!!

Old 06-27-2012, 06:13 AM

Thank you for all of the advice about communting and hospitals. It is unlikely that I would work in the hopital unless it is in a hosptial based practice. My focus is commuity health but that can always change. I am realistic do realize that most of Vermont is much sparer populated that where I currently live so as hopeful as I am that I wont have a long commute I know it is likely that I might have to deal with some driving to and from work some point.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:58 AM

3,327 posts, read 8,758,377 times
Don't worry because if you get a Big Mac attack in Montpelier all you have to do is drive a couple hundred yards over the border into Berlin and get one. And Burger King. And Wal Mart. etc.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:37 PM

530 posts, read 1,180,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlp View Post
Thank you for all of the advice about communting and hospitals. It is unlikely that I would work in the hopital unless it is in a hosptial based practice. My focus is commuity health but that can always change. I am realistic do realize that most of Vermont is much sparer populated that where I currently live so as hopeful as I am that I wont have a long commute I know it is likely that I might have to deal with some driving to and from work some point.
You will find some smaller community health centers and hospitals as well. Good luck in your search!

Old 06-27-2012, 10:30 PM

2,186 posts, read 5,976,037 times
I work with the Plainfield Health Center, it's totally awesome, growing and very highly regarded. It's about 15/20 min from Montpelier. The page also has links to other off hospital services and facilities.
The Health Center | www.cvmc.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont