U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 12:04 PM

33 posts, read 169,002 times

Advertisements

Duh, sorry- Concord is NH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 12:56 PM

7 posts, read 23,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Vermont's "kids play and party centers" are the hills, forests, ponds and rivers. I don't know if a lot of Vermonters would really feel the need to provide the type of exclusively indoor, regimented "play" that you speak of. At least not the natives.
parents with no life who are trying to relive their childhoods through their children by smoothering them. Over protective parents who think their children can't survive 5 minutes by themselves.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:50 AM

33 posts, read 169,002 times
Is it really that bad??? Come on- I think that taking them to a place that has loads of physical activity involved during the long winter is great. How much sledding and snow ball fighting can you do when it's 15 degrees outside?

Old 10-15-2007, 12:22 PM

3,331 posts, read 8,786,426 times
All I know is that I can tell you that Pizza Putt in South Burlington does a great business, so obviously there is a market for something like this in Vermont. Like I said before, check out Montpelier/Barre, White River Junction/W. Leb.
Yes, there is lots of outdoorsy stuff to do here in Vermont in the winter, but it is nice to get inside and have dinner with the family and play some mini-golf, batting cages, laser tag, what have you. Whats the matter with having that kind of fun once in a while?!
McUnG-good luck with what you decide. It's great to see folks come to the area and open new businesses.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:49 PM

16,833 posts, read 29,125,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McUnG View Post
A friend suggested Ludlow for our family fun center because wealthy people flock there to vacation and ski in the winter (she says), but I wonder what goes on in a ski town during the summer months. Also, I would think since the winter people are probably out-of-towners, they would be unlikely to have a BDay party (our biggest source of income) at our place, don't you think?
I am in Chester/Andover. My NY friends own 'on the Mountain'. You have to remember that kids still have school in the winter, so when they are with their parents, they are going up to Okemo to ski, ski, ski! They are out early in the day and come home for lunch, ski out and ski some more, then home, wash up and dinner at home or dinner out. After that everyone's beat.

If someone's going up Friday night to spend Sat & part of Sunday skiing -- then driving home Sunday because the kids have school on Monday, chances are they are not going to take the kids to an indoor play center which they could visit at home. And as you've written, they wouldn't have a b-day party there when their friends are back home in MA, NY, NJ, PA, etc.

One of my children would fit right into your target group (7 years-old) When we are up in wintertime, she is outside most of the day. When the weather is foul, we stay put as opposed to taking chances on the road. During the summer, we are outside most of the time, too.

Summertime is pretty quiet up there, there are visitors in the area who are golfing, skiing, hiking, fishing, cycling -- again with the outdoors.

Good luck with whatever you pursue

Old 11-07-2007, 08:39 PM

100 posts, read 352,356 times
Whatever area you choose, just keep in mind that alot of families up here just don't have alot of extra money.

How much income are you hoping this will bring in? You may need to have other sources of income than just this one business. We just don't have enough people up here to to keep you super busy.

Perhaps Keene, NH might be a better choice. Brattleboro people will go to Keene for what they can't get here.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:07 AM

7 posts, read 38,963 times
Default Please start one in Burlington

We are relocating to the area, and an astounded at the lack of indoor play places for kids. We go to a place called Jumpin Beans here in NC a few times a month. its an indoor moon bounce/ coffee bar with a playroom attached. We love it, and its one of the things ( along with a good kids museam) that we will really miss.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:19 AM

16,833 posts, read 29,125,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalagrace View Post
We are relocating to the area, and an astounded at the lack of indoor play places for kids. We go to a place called Jumpin Beans here in NC a few times a month. its an indoor moon bounce/ coffee bar with a playroom attached. We love it, and its one of the things ( along with a good kids museam) that we will really miss.
Vermont has the great outdoors -- skiing, sledding, snowmobiling, tubing, quadding, dirtbiking, hiking, fishing, alpine slides, golfing, swimming, etc.....

At first I thought my kids would look at me like I was nuts -- no indoor playgrounds? -- but they have become very active in the outdoors and much healthier for it

Old 02-09-2008, 08:02 PM

9 posts, read 36,829 times
Default Please come to Keene NH!

Oh please pretty please come to Keene NH! We have nothing like this in the area and we need it so badly! I have three young children and this winter has been making us all crazy.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:50 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,466,114 times
I might entertain an area which also has colleges and universities...like Norwich U/Northfield, Vermont Law School/Sharon-So. Royalton, Marlboro College/Marlboro which is closer to Putney, Brattleboro, Dummerston...a thought for whatever it is worth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or