U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 12:54 PM

33 posts, read 168,953 times

Advertisements

Where would be a good spot for a mom and pop type of kids play and party center? We've been to VT and are aware of the "need", so to speak, as our friend in Springfield drove over TWO hours to take our kids to a run down dive of a place where I felt like we needed a shower when we left. We were the only people there.

I'd love to be in a small town, but obviously we need to have enough population to support the business. Someone suggested Ludlow because of it's winter tourism, but I don't know that I could tolerate living anywhere near a touristy place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 01:26 PM

4,102 posts, read 7,363,099 times
Vermont's "kids play and party centers" are the hills, forests, ponds and rivers. I don't know if a lot of Vermonters would really feel the need to provide the type of exclusively indoor, regimented "play" that you speak of. At least not the natives.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:06 AM

3,329 posts, read 8,782,460 times
There are already a couple in the Burlington area. The only other couple areas I can think of that would have the population to support a venture like this would be Barre/Montpelier or Rutland. Also, White River Junction/Lebanon.
Good luck!

Old 10-03-2007, 02:41 PM

267 posts, read 1,706,034 times
Those places are lots of fun during rainy days or just for something different other than the usual parks and playground. Vter, do you know the name or locations of the ones in Burlington? I've taken my son to the one inside University Mall after shopping and he enjoys it alot. Its hard getting him to leave

Old 10-03-2007, 03:29 PM

Wow! Glad to see I finally made it to the top of the list! Thank you all for your input. This is SO hard to do without really visiting any place other than mostly Springfield. It's a shame, because we are trying to get AWAY from the big growing populations, (we moved to a quiet little farming town in PA and now it's overdeveloped and overcrowded) but it's also what we NEED to support it! I wish we had more time to travel around VT, but we're looking to sell our current business and move in maybe a year or so. Keep it coming. There's plenty of information that I need to learn.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:54 PM

In South Burlington is Pizza Putt (which is fun for adults too!): Pizza Putt - Where VT comes IN to play
and
Zachary's, also in South Burlington. I can't find a website for it, but it's located right on Williston Road.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:03 PM

A friend suggested Ludlow for our family fun center because wealthy people flock there to vacation and ski in the winter (she says), but I wonder what goes on in a ski town during the summer months. Also, I would think since the winter people are probably out-of-towners, they would be unlikely to have a BDay party (our biggest source of income) at our place, don't you think?

Old 10-10-2007, 01:27 PM

No way would I want to own a business in a resort town. I think your initial instinct is right on. You are way too dependant on the tourist dollar. What happens if Okemo Ski Area (in Ludlow) goes down on hard times? Most likely you'll go down too.
I would investigate towns that have a strong local base - towns such as those in the Upper Valley of VT/NH (White River/Lebanon), Rutland, Barre/Montpelier etc.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:48 PM

155 posts, read 555,799 times
They do have a list of places that offer birthdays parties for kids on Vermont Party Supplies | Kids VT (broken link) Some things on the list I would not consider (aka Burger King) but the Echo center and the Rock Climbings place both sound like fun.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:49 AM

Vter, thank you. You've been very helpful in many of my posts. It's hard not to hang on to every word people say, because I'm here in PA, not there- I'm relying on your info. I have been told (this is what I mean) to stay south of Concord because the winters are much more harsh past there. True? Also I think I remember the other reason being that the population becomes more sparse as well. So the towns you mentioned- I'm not sure about.
What are your thoughts on the Brattleboro area? Seems like we could pull from VT, NH and MA there maybe. Also looks like we may find some nice areas to live semi-close by? Also looking at Keene NH area. I've heard nice things about that area as well. We need to seriously weigh the pros/cons of operating in VT vs. NH. I hear NH has no sales tax, but the 2 states seem very different from one another. Lots to consider. I'd appreciate whatever questions you can tackle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or