Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 12:55 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,128,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
Vermont is a beautiful state, but I think one of the nicest areas in all of the Northeast is the area north of Lincoln, NH. The views are second to none. Even driving on that stretch of I-93 through Franconia Notch is breathtaking. If you get off the highway, it's even better.
Also love the Franconia Notch area. I take all vistors from the midwest to the Flume and then to Polly's pancake house in Sugar Hill NH.

As for driving through Vermont and NH...Vermont offers endless views of rolling countryside. NH seem to offer views of rock not far from the side of the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 01:14 PM

444 posts, read 786,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
And you're from NJ?! How much I will bet you saw NH from either I-95 or I-93. Insert your denial below.

NH = VT + coastline, taller mtns, jobs, less govt, and close to real cities
There is one big difference between VT and NH that you didn't mention. VT is a clear-cut Democratic state for the 2012 presidential election, whereas NH could actually end up supporting that politically inept robot who has unflinchingly modified his ideas in order to appease the far right and billionaire plutocrats who could care less about the middle class. For this reason I crossed NH off my list of retirement states. And I don't even like Obama.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:45 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,359,782 times
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

When the early settlers came up the CT river from the pioneer valley to northern New England, some turned right and settled in NH, some turned left and settled in VT.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

When the early settlers came up the CT river from the pioneer valley to northern New England, some turned right and settled in NH, some turned left and settled in VT.
And the ones who turned right gravitated towards Benning Wentworth, that crooked colonial governor of New Hampshire who profited from selling land that he didn't own: Vermont. Not much has changed.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:49 AM

5,617 posts, read 15,473,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db77 View Post
Forget Vermont. If I were you I'd look into Central to Western MA. It would suit your political leanings and there'd be much more opportunity for teaching jobs.

Everyone who's never been to Vermont but has only learned about it through movies, books and pictures thinks it's some kind of shangri-la. Then they get there and if they spend more than a few days realize just how much the place sucks. I'm from NH and have reluctantly made the trip up I89 a handful of times over the past ten years or so and I've come to the conclusion that the people that live there fall into several categories 1. They work on a diary farm or ski resort 2. They live there but desperately would rather live somewhere else but do not have the financial means or will to escape 3. They are very artsy but do not play very well with others and Vermont offers the kind of culture that they feel at home in

All the pretty postcards with barns and covered bridges on them do not represent what Vermont truly is. No jobs, no decent affordable housing, ridiculous green laws and an insane anti-business mentality, an obsession with creating an absurd Norman Rockwell painting come to life atmosphere at the expense of anything and everything practical that makes sense, no coastline, no really nice lakes, Green Mountains aren't half as nice as White Mountains, no decent restaurants, no world class hospitals or medical centers, ......I could go on and on but I'm sure I'll just have a bunch of angry Vermonters telling me how off the mark I am. To each his own.

I've taken a lot of criticism on this site for expressing MY OPINION of the state but it is what it is. I just can't say enough bad things about this god forsaken place called Vermont.

Seriously, there are a lot of nice little towns in MA between Worcester and the Berkshires that you'd probably be much happier in.
No decent restaurants, your crazy! Thats the one thing your dead wrong on. Thats the one reason I go to VT!! The food rocks! Farm to table is so rare and I hate chains. Your totally off base. The Kitchen Table, Michaels on the Hill, I can name 20 great places and I am from NJ. Even the food cart right off I 91 route 5 rocks!! I mean you cant beat the food. No other State does it better.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:54 PM

6 posts, read 9,807 times
Default Moving to Vermont

If you're still thinking of moving to Vt., I will share what I know, as I lived in the Brattleboro area for eight years.

1. The winters are long, cold and gray. I wouldn't recommend it if you don't like cold weather.
2. It is beautiful here.
3. Once you get to know folks, they're very nice.
4. Brattleboro has a great downtown, library, movie theater.
5. You didn't mention your son's age--if you're looking for a good school, I recommend Marlboro Elementary, about ten miles west of Brattleboro. It is K-8, and there are usually less than 100 students attending at any time. Housing is more difficult to find in Marlboro, but it is a lovely community. My stepdaughter attended MES and received a fine education there.
6. There is a Wal-Mart right across the river from Brattleboro, in NH.
7. If you are interested in church, I recommend the West Village Meeting House, where the Unitarian Universalist congregation is housed.
8. There is a very nice food co-op in downtown Brattleboro, as well as a great farmers market during the summer months.
9. Hope this helps--good luck to you!

Old 09-17-2012, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 9,967 times
First of all, the health insurance is significantly cheaper, which is great. However, the property taxes tend to be through the roof. They also have state health insurance to offer, as a replacement or supplement.

Schools are pretty good in Vermont. The Montessori school does offer some scholarships.

There is a Walmart in Hinsdale, NH. DON’T transfer there. One of the most miserable Walmarts ever. He could look into being management at a different retail store…But the one in Hinsdale sorta sucks the life out of people worse than most Walmarts I’ve seen. Little room for advancement and very territorial management. I’ve worked there…Trust me!

If you’re looking to buy a house in VT/New England, watch out for hills. A driveway that is steep will be hell during the winter when it’s frozen ice and you’re trying to get up it!

Rentals are HARD to find! Most are, at minimum, $1,200 a month, without utilities, for a 2 or 3 bedroom. Also, be careful not to rent near the Whetstone Brook since it flooded in the past and destroyed lots of town.

Gas currently, as of September 2012, is $3.89/gallon. I’ve yet to see it go over $4/gallon.

Groceries are relatively cheap, even at the Brattleboro Food Co-Op, which they just redid and it looks beautiful!

Utilities vary. Electricity is usually $60+/month, sometimes closer to $90 a month, even for some basic things running.

Eggs: $2.40 Bread: $2.50 Milk: $3.49 Apples: $2.99/lb

Old 09-17-2012, 09:09 PM

26,375 posts, read 46,246,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Also love the Franconia Notch area. I take all vistors from the midwest to the Flume and then to Polly's pancake house in Sugar Hill NH.

As for driving through Vermont and NH...Vermont offers endless views of rolling countryside. NH seem to offer views of rock not far from the side of the car.
NH has countryside drives. One classic example is Webster Mills Rd in Chichester. I didn't know if I was in NH or in a pastoral area in the central Appalachains somewhere. Southern NH has a bit more orchards and farms while the eastern side and the north is nearly all wooded and mountainous.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:25 AM

1,975 posts, read 2,343,495 times
Have been to Brattleboro and White River Junction. Beautiful state, Vermont. Brattleboro is one of the prettiest towns I've ever visited and I have travelled extensively. Great health food store there, at least there was in 1994. Any state that would elect Bernie Sanders is tops in my book. Catamount beer=loved it.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
Any state that would elect Bernie Sanders is tops in my book.
The amazing thing about Bernie Sanders is that no other senators are like him and they all should be. That's a sad commentary on the state of the U.S. government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont