U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 07:22 PM

2 posts, read 7,263 times

Advertisements

Hello, My family and I might be moving to Bennington, VT for work. Could you tell me about it? What's it like? How are the schools? What are the perks? The downfalls? The vibe? I know the cost of living is lower there than in other parts of VT. I know that some folks find it beautiful. I've heard it is "bluer" than other parts of VT. Someone once told me it is "the least Vermont place in Vermont." I'm not super-familiar with VT in general, but they said they meant it is less progressive, politically, and there are fewer hippies and artists. I'd love to hear your thoughts on Bennington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 03:18 PM

2,004 posts, read 920,379 times
I can tell you from living there in the past, and visiting occasionally. Bennington is a town of about 12,000. It is a kind of a blue collar town (nothing good or bad, just an observation). There are 3 grocery stores (ALDI, Hannaford, Price Chopper). Three department stores (J C Penney, Walmart, KMart). It is close enough to the NY/MA border to where there is influence from there. Property taxes are moderate for the state as a whole (Burlington and Dartmouth areas are higher, NEK lower). Winters are some of the mildest in the state (compared to northern VT). Bennington College and Southern Vermont College are in the immediate area. It has it's own (small) airport.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:27 PM

66 posts, read 145,209 times
Bennington, oh great Bennington. It is a place that has my heart. Here is the cut and dry about it. Parts of Bennington are seedy. It is a "city", if you can call it that, and therefore it is filled with diversity. Depending on where you are moving from, it could be crappy or it could be glorious. It has a pretty neato downtown, some nice cafes for coffee, good small businesses, a great library, and so on. Elementary schools a good, North Bennington being the best of them (NB wants to separate from Bennington but odds are they wont), middle school and high school are large regional schools (Woodford, Pownal, Shaftsbury also go there). The schools are good, but they are larger so it is easy to get "lost" in the system, but like all schools, your parental involvement needs to be there. I lived in Bennington for some time, and just moved back to the area with my kids. I didnt want them in NJ any more. We are living in Arlington (which is close to Bennington, if youre commuting to Benn from Arlington its about 15 minutes), and is a cute small town with its own elementary, middle, and high schools (which isnt common for a smaller town, usually they are regional). I just bought a house in Bennington, on the south western side of town. If you are working with a decent budget, you can buy a beautiful home there in a great neighborhood, or rent something that is really fantastic. Good luck, feel free to message me if you have any questions. I have been in Bennington for a long time, and know quite a bit about it.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:30 PM

81 posts, read 124,207 times
I believe they have the smallest Walmart store in the nation !!

The downtown traffic is frustrating, but hopefully the new bypass will finally get finished and solve that problem.

As in many parts of Vermont cell phone coverage is spotty. There is no signal in the NW section over by Home Depot. How did we live without cell phones.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:21 PM

12 posts, read 23,701 times
I think Bennington has some small town charm. Recently visited and would have liked to walk around and visit some of the shops, but unfortunately it poured when we were there. We are thinking of relocating to the area as well. Wondering about the surrounding areas south of Bennington. Can anyone suggest an area that would be good for a weekend home and then possibly retire there? Are there any towns you wouldn't recommend?

Old 08-24-2012, 03:12 PM

2 posts, read 7,213 times
The second section of the bypass (open any...day...now...) will probably be negative for Bennington as a whole. Yes, there's really bad truck traffic in the tight downtown, but bypass leg 1 took about 20% of the tourist retail out of downtown. Leg 2, as it connects with leg 1, will be even worse since now all the E-W ski traffic will bypass the downtown.

It's a tough town with high unemployment, high teen pregnancy, high smoking rates, high dropout rates--all the things you get in any New England town a generation after you lose your manufacturing and don't replace it.

Drive down Main Street and look at the stretches of three and four vacant retail spaces in a row--expand those by another 50% next summer after the bypass kills the holiday retail season downtown. We're in for a rough few years here.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:05 PM

2 posts, read 7,263 times
Thanks, folks. We are in fact moving to Bennington. Now to find a place to live.... Feel free to offer suggestions re: neighborhoods. My husband is working downtown and a lot of the (affordable) rentals we're finding are downtown.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:52 AM

11,286 posts, read 7,995,744 times
I think Applegate or Willowbrook would not be your first choice.....or second or third
BenMont Ave and the side streets off it for a block or so is seeing some fixing up but would not be my choice either.

It sounds like you are looking for an apartment rather than a house?

Like most towns around the area, there can be a big mix of conditions on the same street.
Because of that it is probably a BIG generalization to say it might be safer to stay on the south side of town.
It's also why there's no replacement for a personal visit.

It's also very hard to make suggestions to someone you don't know.
Perhaps you think an old bench car seat or an old sofa is wonderful porch furniture in which case you have a lot more choices of 'where'

Old 01-03-2013, 03:00 PM

10 posts, read 14,108 times
Default Should I move to Bennington, VT

We too are thinking of moving to Bennington from NJ, but it is a daunting decision, we have been there several times, (passing through) and have thought it was charming. I am seeking that "Norman Rockwell" town, though I do not think it may exist. As I am reading alot of these posts, I am starting to get cold feet (sorry for any pun). We were planning to come up this weekend to look at some homes, but I'm not sure if I still want to. Can anyone help. We are looking in the Monument area- a home to retire in (though we are not at that stage yet), our daughter is leaving for college and we are looking to find a nice quiet place to start our next chapter. Can anyone give me any information on the Everett Gate House, that is something we thought looks interesting.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:34 PM

14,396 posts, read 13,582,993 times
If you don't have to live in Bennington itself, that will give you some choices with some nicer towns nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont