U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 06:38 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,415,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
Taxes are due for the entire year? Do they take your house if you miss the deadline?

In NYC, real estate taxes can be paid yearly or quarterly. If you are late, they add interest. They do not threaten to take your property until you are three years late. And then it is a long process.

Regarding the foliage, how is it in southern Vermont right now? I'm planning to come up on Friday, assuming whatever bug that is bothering me goes away. I have a long weekend because of the Jewish holiday and I don't really want to spend it sick at home. But if I have to cancel, I have to cancel. At least I'll have a few days to rest. I want to come up for Gallery Walk, but there will be another one next month, and I can come up for better foliage later this month. (I hope.)

I am determined to have my foliage trip this year.

When your property taxes are due depends on the town. My town nails us on Nov 15th and the sum is for the entire year. Kind of funny they hit you right before Thanksgiving and Christmas, but then again it makes sense, they want your money before you spend it on something frivilous like family. I really don't think you can be delinquent for up to three years here before you face the loss of your home. Also, if you are late you WILL get hammered with interest. As far as foliage goes, quite a bit green still around, but the higher elevations are turning nicely. Just hope for no rain and wind storms to cut it short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 06:40 PM

1,442 posts, read 5,898,152 times
Quote:
Too bad you're not going up Friday. Brattleboro has Gallery Walk on the first Friday of every month. Lots of arts and music. I'm not sure about the food, though.

On iBrattleboro.com, there are reviews of a top notch, but very expensive, restaurant. There are lots of good restaurants in Brattleboro, but this one was described as if it were a 5 star restaurant in New York or Paris.

The restaurant is Alici's Bistro.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:52 PM

1,941 posts, read 3,228,155 times
Our taxes in Stowe used to be either annual or bi-annual, I can't remember...but they switched to quarterly last year...

Old 10-03-2007, 07:56 PM

I am not looking forward to paying Vermont real estate taxes. I think they are higher than NYC real estate taxes. In NYC, taxes feel like they have increased exponentially.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:35 PM

2,186 posts, read 5,981,473 times
Back to Stuff to do next weekend....

The wife and I will be doing our last event of the season feeding folks in good old Rutland, her hometown. It's the Arts in the Park Crafts Fair....27th year. It's the smallest event we do and it's just the two of us but it's always fun. Another crafts fair is just east of Woodstock.

It's Columbus weekend in Vermont! It's the busiest weekend in the state according to the Vermont Dept of Tourism. Tons of things to do all around the state.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:03 PM

Wow. I hope my cold or whatever it is goes away by Friday morning so I can drive up. I want to have fun. If the foliage isn't that great, I can make time later in the month to come up again, assuming my friend in Brattleboro has room for me.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:43 AM

2,186 posts, read 5,981,473 times
Quote:
I am not looking forward to paying Vermont real estate taxes. I think they are higher than NYC real estate taxes. In NYC, taxes feel like they have increased exponentially.
Since property taxes are based on your property's valuation I am sure the property taxes for similair types of homes are MUCH less in Vermont than NYC. My cousin and her husband recently purchased a 1 BR condo in NYC for 1.1m, a one bedroom condo here in the MRV is around $75,000...a slight diferrence in price....

In my town we pay 1/2 on 9/15 and the other half on 11/15.

Last edited by MRVphotog; 10-04-2007 at 06:52 AM..

Old 10-04-2007, 07:00 AM

1,941 posts, read 3,228,155 times
NYC taxes, for all things considered, I think are pretty reasonable. Yes, they have gone up significantly in recent years, but our taxes are $4800/year. This includes services such as trash pickup, recycling, snow removal, etc...In Long Island, the taxes are astronomical in comparison and many towns do not include any services. In the city, a lot of homeowners qualify for a $400 rebate every year, and senior citizens get discounts as well. Of course, all the OTHER expenses in NYC are through the roof.

Unfortunately, through all the research we've done, it seems that most of the Northeast has high taxes and a higher cost of living than the rest of the country. But at the same time, there really is no where else in the country I'd want to live. So I'm willing to pay the price.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Since property taxes are based on your property's valuation I am sure the property taxes for similair types of homes are MUCH less in Vermont than NYC. My cousin and her husband recently purchased a 1 BR condo in NYC for 1.1m, a one bedroom condo here in the MRV is around $75,000...a slight diferrence in price....

In my town we pay 1/2 on 9/15 and the other half on 11/15.
I've been looking at Brattleboro houses online. I see houses selling for under 300K with yearly tax burdens roughly equal to NYC homes that sell for 2-3 times as much. Also, in NYC, a homeowner does not risk foreclosure until there are 3 years of tax arrears. In Vermont, I think you face tax foreclosure if you even blow your nose on the due date. I'm not sure, but I think I've seen references to Vermont houses on foreclosure sale for less than $2000 of tax arrears. Please tell me I am wrong about this.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:20 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,415,524 times
NYC property taxes are high, but traditionally lower than those found in the surrounding counties of the tri-state area. As far as a 1.1 million 1br goes, that is the exception rather than the rule. Yeah real estate has gotten very expensive, but around 85% of folks live in the four other boroughs outside of Manhattan and a good majority of these folks work regular jobs. Taxes are relative to what you receive so when I pay over 6k here living in Vt and feel they are too high so might a person in lets say Long Island where taxes of over 10k are becoming common for middle class homeowners. In both places people pay for services and programs that can be argued are the result of bloated government spending. People moving into these areas are sort of desensitized to costs, but folks that have lived in a neighborhood for 30, 40, 50 years have really witnessed the cost of living spike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or