Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 08:04 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,960,868 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone...we'll be up next weekend and we're bringing along my good friend and her fiancé...we'll be staying at our place in Stowe, but I wanted to 'branch out' and do some different stuff than our norm...I've got Shelburne Farms on my list (if they're still open???), but wanted to see if anyone has anything they would suggest? We're huge foodies, so any recommendations in that regard are great...any fairs or festivals going on? What day does the Burlington farmer's market run? Apple or pumpkin picking somewhere?

We're coming up on Saturday, leaving Monday...I thought we'd stop at the Woodstock Water Buffalo farm on the way up as well...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 09:30 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,498,478 times
Too bad you're not going up Friday. Brattleboro has Gallery Walk on the first Friday of every month. Lots of arts and music. I'm not sure about the food, though.

On iBrattleboro.com, there are reviews of a top notch, but very expensive, restaurant. There are lots of good restaurants in Brattleboro, but this one was described as if it were a 5 star restaurant in New York or Paris.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:34 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,264,752 times
There will be lots and lots going on this weekend, and as you probably already know, Stowe will probably be a zoo!!
Shelburne Farms is a great idea, but there is no foliage here yet. Shelburne Museum too, but you'll need a full day for that!
If your aim is to see foliage, head to the Northeast Kingdom. Go to Lake Willoughby. If you like dogs, head to Dog Mountain in St. Johnsbury Stephen Huneck - Dog Art - Dog Pop Art - Dog Portraits - Dog Art Prints &; Stained Glass. Go to Cabot and visit the Creamery and take the short tour. Go the Great Vermont Corn Maze in North Danville. Drive up to the top of Burke Mountain.
Have fun!

Old 10-02-2007, 09:36 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times
There's something going on in Enfield at the Shaker Museum. You know, real country stuff--harvest type things to do. Looks good, we will probably go.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:52 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,960,868 times
Ahhh - but I am planning on missing the zoo - we're coming up on the weekend of the 13th! That's why I was asking if there was anything going on - I figured most of the fairs and what not would be for the long weekend...but I try to avoid Stowe during any of those times.

The Dog Mountain looks awesome! I've never heard of it before...thanks for the link! I might have to swing in that direction...

Old 10-02-2007, 10:05 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,264,752 times
I'll be stuck in that Route 100 traffic Saturday morning trying to get to the LMTC. Yikes!
Foliage will probably be past in the NEK on the 13th, but Dog Mountain is great regardless.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:48 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,786,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
There will be lots and lots going on this weekend, and as you probably already know, Stowe will probably be a zoo!!
Shelburne Farms is a great idea, but there is no foliage here yet. Shelburne Museum too, but you'll need a full day for that!
If your aim is to see foliage, head to the Northeast Kingdom. Go to Lake Willoughby. If you like dogs, head to Dog Mountain in St. Johnsbury Stephen Huneck - Dog Art - Dog Pop Art - Dog Portraits - Dog Art Prints &; Stained Glass. Go to Cabot and visit the Creamery and take the short tour. Go the Great Vermont Corn Maze in North Danville. Drive up to the top of Burke Mountain.
Have fun!
Visiting Steven Huneck's place is a wonderful suggestion, vter! The dog chapel is very moving, and it's a glorious spot

Old 10-03-2007, 10:49 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times
Something is going on this weekend here...I see tents on the green and signs but no idea what it is...

Old 10-03-2007, 06:13 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,856,024 times
I won't have to worry about traffic that weekend as I will be pulling three 16 hours shifts from Friday thru Sunday, Oh well, taxes are due in my town on Nov 15 for the entire year so I have to take the OT when I can.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:21 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,498,478 times
Taxes are due for the entire year? Do they take your house if you miss the deadline?

In NYC, real estate taxes can be paid yearly or quarterly. If you are late, they add interest. They do not threaten to take your property until you are three years late. And then it is a long process.

Regarding the foliage, how is it in southern Vermont right now? I'm planning to come up on Friday, assuming whatever bug that is bothering me goes away. I have a long weekend because of the Jewish holiday and I don't really want to spend it sick at home. But if I have to cancel, I have to cancel. At least I'll have a few days to rest. I want to come up for Gallery Walk, but there will be another one next month, and I can come up for better foliage later this month. (I hope.)

I am determined to have my foliage trip this year.

Last edited by arel; 10-03-2007 at 06:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont