U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 02:38 PM

12,263 posts, read 9,414,349 times

Advertisements

Hey folks, any new or improved restaurants in your area? We couldn't make it up last year, and I know how quickly things can change. I would appreciate any recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 04:34 PM

2,186 posts, read 5,980,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Hey folks, any new or improved restaurants in your area? We couldn't make it up last year, and I know how quickly things can change. I would appreciate any recommendations.
Hurricane Irene did mange to sweep away a couple of restaurants in Waitsfield Village. This one in the Bridges is fairly new on the access Rd, away from the river.
http://www.madrivervalley.com/vt/din...ds-nest-bistro
Bridge Street Bakery was gone now replaced with a cafe called Splash.
The Mint was totaly flooded recently reopened

It would be helpful to know what kind of a place your looking for. Kids? Geezers? Hip City Folks?

Old 08-09-2012, 04:44 PM

1,475 posts, read 3,663,962 times
someone told me the Green Cup closed.

Also, do you know if American Flatbread offers Lawson's Ale on tap?

Old 08-10-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
someone told me the Green Cup closed.

Also, do you know if American Flatbread offers Lawson's Ale on tap?
Yes, it's gone.

As far as I know it still does....did you check their website?

Old 08-10-2012, 10:37 AM

5,439 posts, read 14,745,248 times
I don't eat out much but gosh I have never heard of the bridge street bakery or Splash or birds nest bistro!

I would say new-ish is the Mad Taco, not really a restaurant but a "quick serve" burrito place (not always so quick but pretty good).

Hostel Tevere has a new chef. our favorite breakfast spot, although i think the owners still do breakfast (new chef doing dinner?).

Sweet Spot is a new place sort of behind where the green cup was but this is just like a coffee,goodies/ice cream place, no seating except outside on picnic benches.

american flatbread usually has lawson's but they also usually run out! i would have thought they'd be doing bigger kegs by now with his expanded capacity.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:15 PM

1,475 posts, read 3,663,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post

american flatbread usually has lawson's but they also usually run out! i would have thought they'd be doing bigger kegs by now with his expanded capacity.
hopefully it's just the summer, but Heady and Lawson's beers have been a lot harder to get in the past two months. just zipped around the greater Burlington area to track down some Heady, it's becoming a real pain in the neck. hill farmstead is having a saison festival this weekend, so Bostonians and New Yorkers will strip the stores clean once again.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:13 PM

Saw today that a new restaurant just opened up where the Bridge Street Bakery was called the Peasant Cafe. I'm a peasant but I doubt their menu will fit my budget. lol

I think Jimmez Pizza has a knew name. I can't keep track of all the restaurant changes around, Irene nonwithstanding. I always go the same places like the Common Man for a special night out. It's been here over 50 years.

Mad Taco is okay, it's been there for about 3 years.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:51 AM

Oh I forgot, I think common man has a new owner as of after Irene (?)

heady topper is one thing we always seem to have a good stock of around the valley!

Here's the new place where the green cup was:

http://www.peasantvt.com/

Old 08-19-2012, 11:21 AM

12,263 posts, read 9,414,349 times
We had a very good meal at the Den, which surprised all of us. The only reason we went to the Den is we were exhausted after the drive up and we seem to have a tradition of krappy meals there once a year after our long drive up. We were pleasantly surprised by the nice attitude of the staff, especially when we asked to be switched from the inside dining room to the porch. The appetizers were very good, the entrees were delicious. When I complimented our waitress, she said they had a new chef, and it really showed. So big thumbs up to the Den.

Pizza in the Valley was closed the only night we went there (at 7 pm, that seems early?). Even though it's amazing, we gave up on the lines and the wait at American Flatbread years ago. We wanted to try Peasant, but when I called, I was told they wouldn't be ready for another couple of weeks (you guys got clobbered!). And we love Village Country Creemes for deserts and the occasional Mexican. The rest of the time we bought a lot of ciabatta from the Red Hen Bakery, an excellent selection of artisanal VT cheeses and lots of wine from Shaws and dined in watching the sun set over Sugarbush.

I know it's a tough living up there, I tried, but it is gorgeous.

Quick edit...you guys have a nice app for the area, available for android also - App Store - Mad River Valley

Old 08-19-2012, 01:57 PM

American Flatbread is not that hard, BUT it is annoying. You need to send somewhere there at 4pm. Yesterday they were giving out free wine @ 4pm for people waiting in line. I think it's a great incentive, but they should have been giving out beer instead

If you get on the list you will be seated within a few minutes if you show up at 5pm or 6:30pm. each seating I am guessing is harder to predict (so if you want to eat 3rd seating.. 8pm, could be a bigger window?--7:30 to 8:15?.

Maybe next time??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont